• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
So as of today we have a whooping 64 Neo Geo games! Wikipedia says there's 148 games in all, so another 84 games/weeks until we're done!

So by that, the entire library should in theory be complete on...

*googles*

November 21st, 2019.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
The prospect of eventually getting every Neo Geo game is pretty crazy.

Where's PS4 and XBO at? Both with and without Code Mystic's own versions on PS4.

Second question: Has any JP-only game gotten a release on any system in ACA? Waku Waku 7 is one no? Just wondering if there are any potential exclusions or if ALL games have a shot at being included down the road.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I'm not as fetishist of SNK, so my most hyped releases in the collection are in the vanilla Arcade Archives series.

To begin with, my most expected release is 'Wonder Boy', which is amongst my 5 all-time favorite arcade games.

It was released for Playstation 4 in Japan. And Hamster is releasing in the west for Switch all of the PS4 Japanese exclusive games. So it's only a matter of time.

My second most expected game is 'Butasan' from NKM, also released in Japan for PS4. One of the finest multiplayer co-op games in video game history, as important as the first 'Gauntlet'. The Europeans played this game to the death thanks to the U.S. Gold ports under the name of 'Psycho Pigs U.X.B.'.

And I'm absolutely hyped to see the rest of the NMK catalogue released in the Arcade Archives series. Specially their impressive shmup stuff, with 'Thunder Dragon 2' being one of the highlights.

Also, I really need the Taito PS4 releases in Switch. The first 'Darius', and 'The Ninja Warriors'. Like yesterday.

And of course, I need into my veins 'Bomb Jack', a personal favorite of my childhood.

This month I will purchase 'Ninja-Kid', created by Ryuichi Nishizawa, the director of 'Wonder Boy'.

The Arcade Archives series is one of the most amazing things that has happened in the last decade to the enthusiasts of classic video games.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I'm hopelessly devoted to arcade games.
I just bought "Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja" on switch (it's only called "Bad Dudes" on switch for whatever reason and I still love it after all these years (3 decades!)

Bad_Dudes_DragonNinja_arcadeflyer.png

switch version:

edit:

yes please
I'd rather have the allmighty SFC/SNES remake though

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I just bought "Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja" on switch (it's only called "Bad Dudes" on switch for whatever reason and I still love it after all these years (3 decades!)

switch version:

You are my man! I was looking for a guinea pig buying the game to ask if they have fixed the problem with the first build, in which the charged punch movement can't be used.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017

switch version:

edit:

yes please
I'd rather have the allmighty SFC/SNES remake though

If they are putting up Data East games, I would like to see the quasi sequel Two Crude/ Crude Buster:

I loved the Genesis port of this back in the day called Two Crude Dudes. It's a fantastic beat 'em up. I have only ever played the arcade game on Mame, and to be honest, it has never seen an arcade port beyond the Genesis release.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
If they are putting up Data East games, I would like to see the quasi sequel Two Crude/ Crude Buster:

I loved the Genesis port of this back in the day called Two Crude Dudes. It's a fantastic beat 'em up. I have only ever played the arcade game on Mame, and to be honest, it has never seen an arcade port beyond the Genesis release.

I think the Data East collection for Wii contains it as well.
But I agree, a switch rerelease would be great. The more the merrier

Goosenman

Nov 6, 2017
Yes - a Data East collection would be great.

Two Crude Dudes was good fun. Might have to grab Bad Dudes as well.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Has that Crossed Sword game ever come out on Nintendo consoles? Remember seeing it when I was a kid and really wanted to play it

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I've got Garou and I'm thinking of picking up another game.

I'm mostly looking at games for singleplayer, but it also nice to have a fighting game on hand for the Switch. Not a huge fighting game guy but they're pretty fun.

Looking around online I've narrowed it down to King of Fighters 98 or one of the Samurai Shodown games.

Any specific recommendations for those? Any of them have a slightly more single player modes?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, so I've got Garou and I'm thinking of picking up another game.

I'm mostly looking at games for singleplayer, but it also nice to have a fighting game on hand for the Switch. Not a huge fighting game guy but they're pretty fun.

Looking around online I've narrowed it down to King of Fighters 98 or one of the Samurai Shodown games.

Any specific recommendations for those? Any of them have a slightly more single player modes?

KoF 98 is fun, although I prefer 98UM as it has Geese. It's still one of the best KoF games though.

I think KoF 98 is also the first with a training mode, but don't quote me on that.

I'm not too familiar with Sam Sho, but I know 2 is one of the most popular entries, so that'd be a good choice if it's available.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
KoF 98 is fun, although I prefer 98UM as it has Geese. It's still one of the best KoF games though.

I think KoF 98 is also the first with a training mode, but don't quote me on that.

I'm not too familiar with Sam Sho, but I know 2 is one of the most popular entries, so that'd be a good choice if it's available.
Thanks. I wasn't sure which Samurai Shodown to pick up so I'll give 2 a look.

Oct 27, 2017
Hamster is killing it.

They have made my childhood dreams a reality... and a nightmare since I can't beat Pizza Pasta as of yet.

I am dying for the Irem shooters now. There was word of In the Hunt? I am gonna R Type so hard when that comes out.

Bad Dudes was a different company, not Hamster right?

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I hope the Data East games will be successful enough to release the Vapor Trail trilogy on Switch, I'd really like to replay Skull Fang and the second game Wolf Fang also looks pretty dope.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Hamster is killing it.

They have made my childhood dreams a reality... and a nightmare since I can't beat Pizza Pasta as of yet.

I am dying for the Irem shooters now. There was word of In the Hunt? I am gonna R Type so hard when that comes out.

Bad Dudes was a different company, not Hamster right?

Yeah, unfortunately, the Data East games will be ported by an US company who are the owners of the entire catalogue, Flying Tiger Entertainment.

Their work is far from the quality of the Hamster's releases.

At least, Hamster have the exclusive rights for the Neo Geo catalogue, so they are releasing the Data East games available in the system.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, unfortunately, the Data East games will be ported by an US company who are the owners of the entire catalogue, Flying Tiger Entertainment.

Their work is far from the quality of the Hamster's releases.

At least, Hamster have the exclusive rights for the Neo Geo catalogue, so they are releasing the Data East games available in the system.

I'm not a fan of the Johnny Turbo branding, but the game was serviceable. Gate of Doom was a nice surprise, but I'm glad the DE Neo stuff will be handled by Hamster.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I'm not a fan of the Johnny Turbo branding, but the game was serviceable. Gate of Doom was a nice surprise, but I'm glad the DE Neo stuff will be handled by Hamster.

Yeah, it's better to have the Data East stuff with other company, that miss these games instead :)

But the lack of dip switches put these games far away from the spirit of Hamster, of trying to preserve a piece of video game history with faithful recreations of the original boards.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I hope the Data East games will be successful enough to release the Vapor Trail trilogy on Switch, I'd really like to replay Skull Fang and the second game Wolf Fang also looks pretty dope.

I had no idea Vapor Trail was connected to Wolf Fang and Skull Fang, had to google Vapor Trail trilogy, found this: https://hg101.kontek.net/vaportrail/vaportrail.htm

Also, I found a review of Vapor Trail by Donn Nauert in Video Games & Computer Entertainment.

2cUIIkF.jpg

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I had no idea Vapor Trail was connected to Wolf Fang and Skull Fang, had to google Vapor Trail trilogy, found this: https://hg101.kontek.net/vaportrail/vaportrail.htm

Also, I found a review of Vapor Trail by Donn Nauert in Video Games & Computer Entertainment.

2cUIIkF.jpg

Thanx for posting.
what a blast from the past. It felt kinda special having to wait for weeks to get any sort of videogame news back in the glory 8/16 bit days. no internet and it's 24/7 news updates.
man, and looking at this article I remember what hassle it was to take half-decent screenshots. pitchblack room; perfectly angled camera tripod etc etc
and that was for consoles. I can't even imagine what pain in the ass arcade games screenshots had to be

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Catching up with this thread and my hopes got raised (and dashed) on the idea that Hamster was handling Data East arcade ports.

I'd love to replay their rotating stick shooters, like Heavy Barrel and Midnight Resistance; perhaps mapped to twin stick controls.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Catching up with this thread and my hopes got raised (and dashed) on the idea that Hamster was handling Data East arcade ports.

I'd love to replay their rotating stick shooters, like Heavy Barrel and Midnight Resistance; perhaps mapped to twin stick controls.

It's ridiculous that these Data East releases don't include the option to switch dips, so you can't change the difficulty level.

For me, this is the thing preventing me of jumping into this collection, being a great Data East admirer. It's as much as not get the original complete game with all of their different layouts and level designs.

All of that said, if they release 'Noboranka', I will be day one with this release.

33196-1.png

One of the most fascinating and creative shumps in video game history.

And I think that it has never seen a domestic release.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

The president of Hamster has said he wants Hori or some other manufacturer to put out a rotary stick controller for modern systems so that he can re-release those old games again.

The upcoming SNK collection for Switch has a bunch of 'em.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
The president of Hamster has said he wants Hori or some other manufacturer to put out a rotary stick controller for modern systems so that he can re-release those old games again.

The upcoming SNK collection for Switch has a bunch of 'em.

That'd be incredible (I'd kill to play stuff like Forgotten Worlds correctly again), and Hori seems up for anything accessory-wise, but it sounds pretty impractical. For it to feel right and be sturdy, I figure it'd have to be a custom joystick and veer into prohibitive costs.

It's ridiculous that these Data East releases don't include the option to switch dips, so you can't change the difficulty level.

For me, this is the thing preventing me of jumping into this collection, being a great Data East admirer. It's as much as not get the original complete game with all of their different layouts and level designs.
Between the branding and lack of detail, I'm with you on giving this collection the side-eye, tho part of me is glad there's anything considering how long ago Data East faded away.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
10 freaking Yards? lol that's on the level of Nintendo releasing Urban Champion.

Where the hell is City Connection? Been on ps4 forever.

Also Namco please give us Ms Pac-Man already or a Museum 2 including CE/CE DX (mainly
CE lol)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Btw do they have rights for Rock-ola/Banpresto stuff like Jump Bug?
Or Konami's Amidar? They did release Contra and Gradius on ps4 after all...

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Bubble bobble, rainbow islands and bubble symphony too please.
Also I wish there was a chance to get Wardner no mori (pyros) too.

92Q49f2.jpg

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Before getting Puyo Puyo Vs Tetris, do you think Magical Drop II or III could give me a nice fix ?

Of course
Magical drop 3 will give you dozens hours of joy plus its WAY cheaper.
I'd wait for an eshope sale for puyo.

(And I like neogeo bitmaps better than puyos HD "iphone" graphics and cutscenes...but thats just me probably)