• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, that's especially good given the condition. You can often find Big Reds for $500, but they'll almost always require a lot of work.

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, including monitor. Only thing I paid for separately was the $70 for the 161-in-1 cart off eBay. He even comes out to Maintence my machines if they need it.
Does he have a shop in Dallas? I am going to be there next month and am looking for a 25 in. crt monitor, and would always like to look around to replace my older cabs.

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
How do I hold all of these SF2HF cabs? I'm actually trying to sell the cab on the left. Monitor is a little dim. I think I want to try to grab a candy cab to replace it.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Kind of a dead thread but anyone know the best way to get a pack man or me pac man crt that -has- burn in? Yes I won't the burnt in maze on the crt

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't strictly about cabinet ownership but its related:

I wound up getting an Exa Arcadia recently that I preordered some time ago. I purchased it kinda flippantly, deciding to sort out my setup requirements when getting the hardware. Turns out I didn't know what I was getting into: the extent of my arcade hardware experience was JAMMA (and even then mostly just using superguns) and the Exa requires JVS for the controls.

Does anyone here have experience with various JVS IO devices? I get that this wouldn't be an issue for someone with a JVS cabinet, but whew it's been a journey for me so far. I wound up buying a Capcom JAMMA -> JVS brick in pretty gnarly condition, but I've heard it's got a standout lag issue. In the meantime I've tested wiring up my own Arduino-based one for shits using iona and it does seem to perform slightly better in lag tests, but the main appeal is simply not having a 20 year old device die on me and be a pain to replace.

Finally, I've seen people mention buying new JVS IO boards directly from Taito and I'm wondering if there's a convenient way for me to do that outside of Japan.

Kind of a dead thread but anyone know the best way to get a pack man or me pac man crt that -has- burn in? Yes I won't the burnt in maze on the crt
i thought _i_ was coming in here with out-there questions lol. Unfortunately I haven't the foggiest but if you do get one I'd like to hear about it

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I wound up getting an Exa Arcadia recently that I preordered some time ago. I purchased it kinda flippantly, deciding to sort out my setup requirements when getting the hardware. Turns out I didn't know what I was getting into: the extent of my arcade hardware experience was JAMMA (and even then mostly just using superguns) and the Exa requires JVS for the controls.

Does anyone here have experience with various JVS IO devices? I get that this wouldn't be an issue for someone with a JVS cabinet, but whew it's been a journey for me so far. I wound up buying a Capcom JAMMA -> JVS brick in pretty gnarly condition, but I've heard it's got a standout lag issue. In the meantime I've tested wiring up my own Arduino-based one for shits using iona and it does seem to perform slightly better in lag tests, but the main appeal is simply not having a 20 year old device die on me and be a pain to replace.

Finally, I've seen people mention buying new JVS IO boards directly from Taito and I'm wondering if there's a convenient way for me to do that outside of Japan.

i thought _i_ was coming in here with out-there questions lol. Unfortunately I haven't the foggiest but if you do get one I'd like to hear about it
Ha thanks. I figure there are a lot of them out there but do people trash them? Want one for an art piece I've been considering for a long long time

Oct 27, 2017
Just because its been bumped...
I have a big red MVS cabinet and I've been looking to add another cab to my collection but it seems like everything has dried up. I used to see og cabinet listings in various states of disrepair daily but I went through the entire CL postings and there were only like a small handful of actual dedicated cabs. Most were MAME conversions. Have things slowed down, dried up or moved on with you all? I'm in SoCal so I know there is more than a dedicated scene; maybe I just don't know where to look, maybe pandemic related...?

Oct 26, 2017
I think partly all those "mini" cabinets have soaked up quite a lot of interest so there's not as many people bothering with original cabs, and also at some points original cabs will end up with someone who keeps them.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Still plenty of cabs being traded. COVID has had an effect, a lot of people are selling of their cabs cos they need cash, and conversely, people who's jobs have not really been affected are snapping them up like crazy. Facebook groups seem to be where the main activity between collectors is, bypassing eBay and PayPal fees is the order of the day.

I picked up a Tempest cab a couple of weeks ago cos someone was offloading a load of their cabinets. One of the games I never thought I'd get (Very rare in the U.K.). Just need to fix the marquee light.

b28b1701-717a-494d-9qkk7d.jpeg

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know much about how well each board performs in terms of added lag but the Capcom IO is the easiest all-in-one solution if you are unwilling/unable to get a stereo amp hooked up to your speakers since it has internal audio handling. I personally use a Sega JVS adapter for JAMMA that seems to work well enough, and the cab I use it in was already equipped for separate audio.

If you want to rewire your cab or even just make a JAMMA adapter harness for it you could go the Taito JVS board route. Last year I would have said to just look for it on Yahoo Auctions Japan and have it proxy-shipped over, but international shipping is screwed pretty hard this year.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about how well each board performs in terms of added lag but the Capcom IO is the easiest all-in-one solution if you are unwilling/unable to get a stereo amp hooked up to your speakers since it has internal audio handling. I personally use a Sega JVS adapter for JAMMA that seems to work well enough, and the cab I use it in was already equipped for separate audio.

If you want to rewire your cab or even just make a JAMMA adapter harness for it you could go the Taito JVS board route. Last year I would have said to just look for it on Yahoo Auctions Japan and have it proxy-shipped over, but international shipping is screwed pretty hard this year.

I didn't realize that about the Capcom IO and internal audio handling. I knew it had a reputation for being the most plug-and-play, so that makes sense.

I should have been clearer and mentioned that I don't have a real cab at all, hah: my frankenstein setup is a dedicated desk with a big modern rotatable low-latency monitor, a tucked away JAMMA supergun + OSSC for the JAMMA PCBs, and an in-flux WIP controller solution. It's cleaner than it sounds, promise! This worked pretty well when I just wanted to swap between a MiSTer, a little gsync emulation PC, and my tiny selection of actual JAMMA PCBs... then the Exa showed up and needed the JVS accommodation (just for controls) so I got the Capcom IO to conveniently pass along the controls from the JAMMA supergun.

As far as the lag goes... I haven't really gone this hard on lag measurement in years, but I was compelled to after getting this whole setup in place because I had a lot of potential problem points.

With my JAMMA games I was using:
PS4 Stick -> Brook NeoGeo adapter -> Supergun -> PCB

With the Exa it became:
PS4 Stick -> Brook NeoGeo adapter -> Supergun -> Capcom IO -> Exa

After measuring with that, the combination of the PS4 stick (apparently I had one of the laggier ones) and the Brook adapter was the bigger culprit, so I've swapped my dope-looking PS4 Astro City stick out with my old DB15/NeoGeo modded Fighting Stick EX2. And since I was going THAT far I figured I should try replacing the Capcom IO brick (which I was told had an extra frame of delay when compared to other IO boards) as well.

I'm finally pretty happy with it all, save for the puny little Fighting Stick EX2. Getting a more standard Sega or Taito JVS IO instead of a JAMMA-adapting one might have worked out fine, too, but the iona is doing the trick pretty well so far.

kxtQhYm.jpg

bonus pic of the lego-ass Arduino breadboard JVS IO:

yilHaCG.jpg

Last edited: