• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post those cabinets that take up way too much space! Ask questions that'll cause you to spend way too much money!

Here is my Pop'n Music cabinet that I had imported. It's my baby and eventually, when I attempt to replace the caps, I'm sure it'll be the death of me.

21cWUQ6l.jpg

Has anyone capped their CRT before? I only have a little wavy-ness at the top and bottom edge of my CRT. Should I wait till it gets worse?

Last edited:

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Nice Pop'n! I'd love to get a Bemani cab. Do like a bit of Sound Voltex especially.

Me and my bro hunt down cabs whenever we can. Still need to get the light fixed on the Rolling Thunder cab tho!

arcadej2uzg.jpg

Last edited:

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
My dream is to own an arcade one day, but guess i need a bigger place first. Still subbing of course.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I'll post up a picture at some point, but my awesome wife let me pick up some cabinets earlier this year, so I've got a Point Blank (1, in a 2 cabinet), Class of 81, and a Merit Megatouch (mostly for the wife, but the variety is nice). They make for a nice little wall in the game room.

I think if I get another one, it'll be some kind of multi game cabinet, to get more value out of it. Any recommendations there, for someone that needs to just have it work without any fiddling? Arcade Legends seems easiest, but the game list seems to get worse with each release.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I have plenty of Bemani cabs but they're all on location at an arcade so I barely ever seen them =/

I have a candy cab at home, but I'm always at work so I barely ever see it either.

Oct 27, 2017
seeing this thread, I now realize that since I've moved in and unpacked that I haven't taken a new pic of the cab which this room looks 10x different, but when I first moved in over a year ago this is what the office looked like until I organized lol

ended up selling armed police batrider this year. probably going to sell battle garegga soon. had but sold esp ra.de., strikers 1999, great mahou daisakusen (dimahoo) over the last few years when I was hurting on cash D:

but still have progear, mushihimesama futari black label another ver, dangun feveron, muchi muchi pork, ibara

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seeing this thread, I now realize that since I've moved in and unpacked that I haven't taken a new pic of the cab which this room looks 10x different, but when I first moved in over a year ago this is what the office looked like until I organized lol

ended up selling armed police batrider this year. probably going to sell battle garegga soon. had but sold esp ra.de., strikers 1999, great mahou daisakusen (dimahoo) over the last few years when I was hurting on cash D:

but still have progear, mushihimesama futari black label another ver, dangun feveron, muchi muchi pork, ibara
good stuff!

Oct 26, 2017
I have a VF3 cab that I converted to JAMMA, mostly to play Bubble Bobble and Sunset Riders, but also Neo-Geo MVS and Soul Calibur. I play on it very rarely now but I hesitate to sell it since it was a huge hassle to set it up.

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
So how hard is it to find arcade CRTs these days? The only thing I could find a couple of years ago was a 27" 800x600 crt for about $500 iirc.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
So how hard is it to find arcade CRTs these days? The only thing I could find a couple of years ago was a 27" 800x600 crt for about $500 iirc.
On the east coast, it's pretty much a right place at the right time situation. I got lucky on eBay and picked up a Makvision for $180 locally almost two years ago, but I haven't seen a deal like that since.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
How does one get started in the wide world of arcade hardware? I've been wanting to grab a few CPS2 games and a supergun for years now, but feel pretty overwhelmed trying to jump in.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
How does one get started in the wide world of arcade hardware? I've been wanting to grab a few CPS2 games and a supergun for years now, but feel pretty overwhelmed trying to jump in.
Extremely deep pockets.

CPS2 is a bit of a tricky beast if you're collecting legit copies of games, since there's a suicide battery in each game that kills it if it loses power for more than half a minute or so. The batteries are usually known to operate for five years before their lifespan becomes questionable. The battery is soldered in, unless you purchase a game that has been modified with a battery slot.

Beside that, if it's the only system you're interested in, consolation of the CPS2 motherboard (to which the hilariously oversized game cartridges dock) is a thing and might be more convenient than a JAMMA supergun.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
What is a good starter supergun, specifically I'm looking at using it for Hyper Neo Geo 64 and Atomiswave, maybe some CPS, but the former primarily before I get too carried away.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a cheapo vogatek supergun that works for me at the moment since I only own a couple PCBs and already have hardware to take an RGB SCART signal, but I'd like to get something nicer down the line.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
I had one of those Vogateks and the DB15 joystick ports will do Neo Geo MVS but yeah you'll need to sort out separate kick harness stuff, like it'll only pass through the punch buttons from a CPS 2 game through the ports itself. The Hyper Neo Geo 64 I don't think they changed the button layout, but the board looks like it has rather odd power requirements compared to normal Jamma boards, so I wouldn't want to say whether it'll work on that supergun. The atomiswave I think does a similar thing to the Neo Geo and puts all the buttons along the Jamma connector, but that might still leave a button missing if it's not wired up for it.

Also on the topic of CPS2 boards, the price of em has gone crazy the last couple of years, yeah a lot of them have suicided cos of the batteries, but they can be "phoenixed" with the right roms and a bit of jiggery pokery. I'm seeing quite a lot of conversions popping up for sale lately. So you have to be careful.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely deep pockets.

CPS2 is a bit of a tricky beast if you're collecting legit copies of games, since there's a suicide battery in each game that kills it if it loses power for more than half a minute or so. The batteries are usually known to operate for five years before their lifespan becomes questionable. The battery is soldered in, unless you purchase a game that has been modified with a battery slot.

Beside that, if it's the only system you're interested in, consolation of the CPS2 motherboard (to which the hilariously oversized game cartridges dock) is a thing and might be more convenient than a JAMMA supergun.
Yikes, that's disappointing. I'd heard of the kill switch issue with the CPS3, but didn't realize it was an issue with CPS2 as well.

Are you saying that if I buy one of those Giant clamshell-looking CPS2 board I can just hook it up straight to my TV essentially? I forgot to mention, I do own an OSSC so I can do SCART to HDMI easily.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
I had one of those Vogateks and the DB15 joystick ports will do Neo Geo MVS but yeah you'll need to sort out separate kick harness stuff, like it'll only pass through the punch buttons from a CPS 2 game through the ports itself. The Hyper Neo Geo 64 I don't think they changed the button layout, but the board looks like it has rather odd power requirements compared to normal Jamma boards, so I wouldn't want to say whether it'll work on that supergun. The atomiswave I think does a similar thing to the Neo Geo and puts all the buttons along the Jamma connector, but that might still leave a button missing if it's not wired up for it.

Holly (since you asked the original question)

Indeed the Hyper Neo Geo 64 is basically the same pinout as the Neo Geo MVS. There are two versions of the NG64, the first version is the one you are thinking of that requires an extra power connector to the board. The second version should be able to draw the power it needs from the JAMMA edge connector.

I don't know much about the Atomiswave as I don't have one of those.

(Edit: Atomiswave manual here: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/9/9e/Atomiswave_manual.pdf , the fourth button is in the same place as the MVS it looks like, with the fifth button next to it on the connector. I guess I never realized that the Atomiswave has a standard JAMMA connector on it, I have a Naomi/Naomi 2 which follows the JVS standard and requires an I/O board to connect to a JAMMA cabinet.)

Also on the topic of CPS2 boards, the price of em has gone crazy the last couple of years, yeah a lot of them have suicided cos of the batteries, but they can be "phoenixed" with the right roms and a bit of jiggery pokery. I'm seeing quite a lot of conversions popping up for sale lately. So you have to be careful.

It seems that recently a technique has been developed to reprogram the encryption keys stored in the battery backed up RAM, so there's no need to run modified "phoenixed" ROM sets. If you're concerned with getting original cartridges you still have to be on the lookout for conversions (from a common game to a rare game), though.

Yikes, that's disappointing. I'd heard of the kill switch issue with the CPS3, but didn't realize it was an issue with CPS2 as well.

Are you saying that if I buy one of those Giant clamshell-looking CPS2 board I can just hook it up straight to my TV essentially? I forgot to mention, I do own an OSSC so I can do SCART to HDMI easily.

Well...you still need a Supergun or similar thing to power the board and connect joysticks. JAMMA boards output RGB video by default so you should be OK there but you'd need to have controllers and a way to hook them up of course. They aren't that hard to build if you're inclined to do that sort of thing.

There are also consolized CPS2 boards out there (see the UD CPS2 here: http://udgametech.blogspot.com/) that use a laptop power supply and have USB ports for joysticks and A/V output via the old PlayStation analog connector. If you are really only interested in CPS2 that would be one way to go although I dunno how hard it is to get one these days.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Holly (since you asked the original question)

Indeed the Hyper Neo Geo 64 is basically the same pinout as the Neo Geo MVS. There are two versions of the NG64, the first version is the one you are thinking of that requires an extra power connector to the board. The second version should be able to draw the power it needs from the JAMMA edge connector.

I don't know much about the Atomiswave as I don't have one of those.

(Edit: Atomiswave manual here: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/9/9e/Atomiswave_manual.pdf , the fourth button is in the same place as the MVS it looks like, with the fifth button next to it on the connector. I guess I never realized that the Atomiswave has a standard JAMMA connector on it, I have a Naomi/Naomi 2 which follows the JVS standard and requires an I/O board to connect to a JAMMA cabinet.)

It seems that recently a technique has been developed to reprogram the encryption keys stored in the battery backed up RAM, so there's no need to run modified "phoenixed" ROM sets. If you're concerned with getting original cartridges you still have to be on the lookout for conversions (from a common game to a rare game), though.

Well...you still need a Supergun or similar thing to power the board and connect joysticks. JAMMA boards output RGB video by default so you should be OK there but you'd need to have controllers and a way to hook them up of course. They aren't that hard to build if you're inclined to do that sort of thing.

There are also consolized CPS2 boards out there (see the UD CPS2 here: http://udgametech.blogspot.com/) that use a laptop power supply and have USB ports for joysticks and A/V output via the old PlayStation analog connector. If you are really only interested in CPS2 that would be one way to go although I dunno how hard it is to get one these days.
Great stuff, thanks!

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Nice to see an arcade thread. I still own a Capcom Impress 29 I bought back in 2000/2001, sadly it's taken a beating from being moved across the country and being stuck in storage a lot. Sadly it's sitting in my locker at the moment because it needs a serious restoration. The CRT needs a lot of work and I haven't had time to do it (plus the though of working on a CRT kind of scares the crap out of me).

If anybody has questions about Namco System 2x6 era of hardware I might be able to help. Me and a friend built out the master software list (that was a very costly list to create =P).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I have a Neo-Geo 4 slot that I bought with my dad, has metal slug, samurai showdown, aerofighters 2, and strikers 1945. Works pretty well, some of the Sid boards been a little gouged and needs some plastic fix bought it 2 years ago now for when i get my own place. Oh and he picked up a fully working Area 51 cab today, can't wait to try it my next trip home. At this point my dads private office will have a mini arcade next Times i go home combined with my grandpas pinball table. XD

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see an arcade thread. I still own a Capcom Impress 29 I bought back in 2000/2001, sadly it's taken a beating from being moved across the country and being stuck in storage a lot. Sadly it's sitting in my locker at the moment because it needs a serious restoration. The CRT needs a lot of work and I haven't had time to do it (plus the though of working on a CRT kind of scares the crap out of me).

If anybody has questions about Namco System 2x6 era of hardware I might be able to help. Me and a friend built out the master software list (that was a very costly list to create =P).

I have the same cabinet! Mine is not in great shape either, the plastic has cracked after several moves, so I probably won't be able to move it again.

I always kinda wanted to get the Namco PS2 based hardware but I kinda stopped buying arcade stuff a few years ago... Just never enough space haha...

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I have the same cabinet! Mine is not in great shape either, the plastic has cracked after several moves, so I probably won't be able to move it again.
Yeah on mine the plastic broke where the speaker house is. I pushed up a little too hard when trying to shift the cab and broke the plastic where the screws are. It's gotten a bit further damage from a few office moves because people did not know that it was broken. =/

I always kinda wanted to get the Namco PS2 based hardware but I kinda stopped buying arcade stuff a few years ago... Just never enough space haha...
They're good fun for the gundam series and a few fighters (tekken 5, SC2). Most 246 games are compatible with 256 so if you're a light collector you can just get the 256 and be set but sadly for a few old titles (Tekken 4, Bloody Roar, Baseball and few others) you still need a 246 around to play them. On the flip side since there is so many of them out there the hardware is pretty cheap (if you buy them off yahoo auctions), it's more just the cost of the actual games that varies.

dab0ne

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just bought an MKII cabinet yesterday and I need some pointers. Is there a thread on era that talks about repairs /maintenance of arcade cabinets and their inner workings?

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just bought an MKII cabinet yesterday and I need some pointers. Is there a thread on era that talks about repairs /maintenance of arcade cabinets and their inner workings?

I haven't come across anything like that here yet. I frequent a couple of UK based forums, ukvac and Jammaplus myself for a bit more In depth arcade talk.

I noticed recently that Johns Arcade channel on the YouTube did a multi part restoration of an MKII recently, might be some tips there.

Good luck with it!

dab0ne

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't come across anything like that here yet. I frequent a couple of UK based forums, ukvac and Jammaplus myself for a bit more In depth arcade talk.

I noticed recently that Johns Arcade channel on the YouTube did a multi part restoration of an MKII recently, might be some tips there.

Good luck with it!
Thanks! I'll look into those sites and see if I can find some answers to my issues.

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to dip my toes into Neo Geo mvs and bought a board from ebay. The seller sent me a different motherboard rev than the one in the description and I ended up getting a Chinese variant, mv-1a-ch. That ended up not being too bad since these boards have the socketed bios chip that's very accessible, so it will easier to install unibios. The thing that really pissed me off is that the seller sent the board in a plastic bag without any padding. The board works but why would you ever ship it like that???

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
I've had boards turn up floating around loose in cardboard boxes. Nice collection of components rattling around at the bottom of the box. Most people seem pretty sensible though gladly. Had a Dragon Spirit pcb come in the other day and it was packaged up perfectly well. It's the difference between buying off a fellow collector or someone who's just clearing out the back of a warehouse probably!

Greyvvolf

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone here that can tell me about Naomi cartridges and BIOS compatibility? I have an American Naomi Universal Cabinet, what does it mean when a game is said to have both American and Japan BIOS?

NR1

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas, TX
After MANY years of dreaming, yesterday I officially joined the ranks of arcade machine owners!

Ever since I was 5 years old going to Chuck E Cheese in 1990, I have always dreamt of having the TMNT Arcade in my home! It looks and plays exactly like I remember it! Perhaps in time, I can get a Simpsons and Turtles in Time cabinets to join it...

K5RxE57.jpg

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
After MANY years of dreaming, yesterday I officially joined the ranks of arcade machine owners!

Ever since I was 5 years old going to Chuck E Cheese in 1990, I have always dreamt of having the TMNT Arcade in my home! It looks and plays exactly like I remember it! Perhaps in time, I can get a Simpsons and Turtles in Time cabinets to join it...

K5RxE57.jpg

Awesome! That's in great condition too, very nice.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

K5RxE57.jpg
Amazing! Congrats! Like Jer said, it looks to be in great shape as well. Have you cleaned it up or is that how you got it? How's the CRT geometry? So jealous, lol, even though I have no space for a cabinet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

K5RxE57.jpg

congrats, how is it in such great shape!?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome man, congrats. Also, how did I never notice the ridiculous live April they cropped in with the cartoon turtles?

NR1

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas, TX
Okay, I need to be talked off a cliff into an abyss...
The guy that sold me TMNT is selling a CRAZY TAXI arcade for $750... it's so damn tempting...

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I need to be talked off a cliff into an abyss...
The guy that sold me TMNT is selling a CRAZY TAXI arcade for $750... it's so damn tempting...

That seems like a pretty good price honestly, go for it!

(Not sure that's talking you off a cliff, heh).

NR1

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas, TX
I ended up passing on Crazy Taxi, which I am regretting a bit now, but I did get the next arcade in my Holy Trinity— The Simpsons!

IfRviUT.jpg

KsquRdm.jpg

QY89y6G.jpg

All that's left to get to complete the trifecta is Turtles in Time...

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up passing on Crazy Taxi, which I am regretting a bit now, but I did get the next arcade in my Holy Trinity— The Simpsons!

IfRviUT.jpg

KsquRdm.jpg

QY89y6G.jpg

All that's left to get to complete the trifecta is Turtles in Time...

Beautiful. It's amazing that you can find them in that kind of perfect condition.

Got my game room set back up in the new house. All the games survived the move, yay!

vwstub.jpg

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Lovely stuff guys. Really beautiful...

Is this a good place to ask about plans or kits for making your own full sized slim cabinet?
Would love to add my steam games into cabinet in my game room..

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
That's fantastic work. I have a friend here who has done a ton of restoration over the years so I've seen what it takes. That's really solid.