• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/f...content=2019-05-10T14:20:04&utm_medium=social

The rebuilt Notre Dame could feature a futuristic glass design, solar power, and an urban farm that supports vulnerable and homeless Parisians, if one architecture firm's vision is realized.
In April, French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe announced an international competition for architects to redesign the cathedral's 19th century spire, which collapsed after a fire devastated the 850-year-old Gothic landmark. Paris firm Vincent Callebaut Architectures responded to the call with an innovative, eco-friendly design that supports the local population and produces more energy than it uses.

Beneath the spire, the roof will host a fruit and vegetable farm run by charities and volunteers, in order to produce free food for vulnerable local people. "Up to 21 tons of fruits and vegetables could be harvested and directly redistributed for free each year," the firm said in a press release. "To that end, a farmers' market would be held every week on the forecourt of Notre Dame."

The roof and spire will also produce electricity, heat and ventilation for the cathedral: an "organic active layer" within the glass will provide solar power, while the roof's diamond-shaped "scales" will open to offer natural ventilation -- a design inspired by termite mounds. The spire will act as a "thermal buffer space" in which hot air accumulates in winter.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Architecture firm releases click-bait unsolicited rendering and CNN falls for it.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
giphy.gif

Good thing it's only a concept.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Horrible. Hubris to think it can be built better than before. Reconstruct it exactly as it was.

Jul 18, 2018
The ideas of having a greenhouse or a apiary incorporated into a new design is something i would definitely love. The fact they can use the church as a way of educating the population on the importance of planting, sustainability, and bees, etc falls right in line with what the church should be doing for others. But watch it just fall back into the same rooftop and nothing changes.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like it a lot actually. But then again I'm just a big fan of rooftop gardens/greenhouses in cities. Too bad it will never get picked.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Horrible. Hubris to think it can be built better than before. Reconstruct it exactly as it was.

The design of Notre Dame was changed and evolved throughout its construction over the centuries, giving it a modern roof design would be in the spirit of the building's legacy. It's hubris to think it can't be built better or that it's perfect as it was.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's about as appealing to me as just bulldozing the whole thing.