• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
What Black Keys song was it considered a ripoff of? You just talking about their sound in general?
They toured together and are known to really like TBK. It does sound a lot like a Black Keys song, honestly lol but then again TBK songs already sound like most blues-rockin' songs. That's not really an insult, mind you.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They toured together and are known to really like TBK. It does sound a lot like a Black Keys song, honestly lol but then again TBK songs already sound like most blues-rockin' songs. That's not really an insult, mind you.

Ah gotcha. I was just curious is all.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking finally!!!

The sound kinda gives me more of the Last Shadow Puppets vibe. Or that Mini Mansions song Alex was on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-R9p5ffBuk

Also, as much as I love their albums, they kinda suck live tbh. Saw 'em at Lolla and they were prissy because of the rain, and once more in Orlando. Alex just tries to act too c00000l
Yeah, I still dig their music but it's funny as shit seeing the scruffy kid I saw for the FWN/Humbug tours turn into this preening rock n roll dbag.

I'm still here for the music like I said but everything Alex does outside of AM irritates me and I probably would not pay to go see them on some arena tour they'll most likely do behind this album lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I still dig their music but it's funny as shit seeing the scruffy kid I saw for the FWN/Humbug tours turn into this preening rock n roll dbag.

I'm still here for the music like I said but everything Alex does outside of AM irritates me and I probably would not pay to go see them on some arena tour they'll most likely do behind this album lol.
A little late to the party there.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A little late to the party there.
I saw those when they got announced, most of the dates and appearances announced so far definitely seem like a preamble to proper US/UK tours they will definitely do as they've always done behind their albums.

Case in point, I live in Dallas and we don't normally get skipped over for their tours, so they are probably gonna come here and to a bunch of other unannounced cities going into 2019, and then it'll be a decision if the new material slaps or the goatee Alex has magically matured him enough to see them again.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
29790245_10156246421860967_6238934139754693726_n.jpg

Alex Turner has a beard.

holy moly they look old now

they also look like the Magicians Alliance

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I remember when these guys were my favourite band in the world.

Everything I've heard from them recently has been really not my thing, sadly.

I hope this one is more like the older stuff but this looks like they're going even deeper into weird arty stuff.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Oh, that's nothing compared to watching the Smashing Pumpkins transform from grunge kids into the Addams Family.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I never listened to their albums but did any of them bump as much as the Brianstorm single or was that a one-off?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
What in the hell fam. Listen to that whole album that brainstorm was on.

And their debut bumped hard too.

I haven't listened to anything from them since tho, aside from a few last shadow puppets tracks. I think I might get back into this band

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I never listened to their albums but did any of them bump as much as the Brianstorm single or was that a one-off?

Like Disco said, you gotta listen to the entire Favorite Worst Nightmare album. Humbug is great too aa is Whatever People Say I Am Thats What Im not.

Suck It and See is a bit of a mixed bag and AM is certainly more simplified and commercial which turned a lot of fans off but its still a great album.

Wurst

Oct 28, 2017
The Album was spotted out in the wild and lyrics spoilers are floating about.

A leak seems to bei imminent!

Im really curious after the Mojo article and the recent press release.

loafofbread

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah awful quality leak is out but they preformed some of the songs live and you can see like 5 of the songs played live on youtube

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Found the leak. A lot of people are going to be disappointed or just straight up hate this album. It's has some of the vibe of Humbug but that's about it. Alex really seems to have put down the guitar in favor of the Steinway he was given and I'm not really sure how I feel about that. I understand why they didn't release any singles, it's an album that's best listened to all at once, but at the same time it's an album full of midtempo songs with little to no guitar focus and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. It's good, but it's different and probably going to upset a lot of people that have their expectations set for something completely different. Whatever you expected it to be, that's probably what it's not.
So basically what I'm saying is, it's The Last Jedi of Arctic Monkey's albums
Outside of it kind of completely being one tempo, I like it.

Deleted member 40953

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
There's a leak out there.

It's an incredible album. A few songs have to grow on you but there's plenty that hit you on the first listen.

It's their best work yet and I love it

Oct 27, 2017

I can beat that, used to see Turner on the North stand at Hillsborough for Wednesday matches before their first album dropped.

He's definitely disappeared up his own arse since then.

I've not liked much of what they've done since FWH - which for me is their best album - but I'll always give their new stuff a go.

Oct 27, 2017
Found the leak. A lot of people are going to be disappointed or just straight up hate this album. It's has some of the vibe of Humbug but that's about it. Alex really seems to have put down the guitar in favor of the Steinway he was given and I'm not really sure how I feel about that. I understand why they didn't release any singles, it's an album that's best listened to all at once, but at the same time it's an album full of midtempo songs with little to no guitar focus and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. It's good, but it's different and probably going to upset a lot of people that have their expectations set for something completely different. Whatever you expected it to be, that's probably what it's not.
So basically what I'm saying is, it's The Last Jedi of Arctic Monkey's albums
Outside of it kind of completely being one tempo, I like it.
Basically where I'm at. This is a big departure from AM, which is what got me into them in the first place. The initial disappointment of that is making it difficult to judge the album. And now I'm reading articles that have been out for weeks telling people this wasn't going to be "guitar heavy", so it looks like I'm just out of the loop.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting impressions in here. So some people say it's most akin to Humbug in terms of mood and tempo? Would be ace since Humbug is my favourite. But there needs to be one song like Pretty Visitors to shake things up. Man that shit was fire. Gonna listen to it now. Those drums.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a little disappointed, which is weird because I like the Last Shadow Puppets/Alex's solo stuff a lot more than most people. Something isn't clicking with me. Maybe I'm just in the mood for it at the moment.

Four Out of Five is great though.

Deleted member 40953

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
Listening to the high quality leak rather than the low quality vinyl rip makes such a huge difference.

You can hear all the layers of each song properly.

This album definitely takes a few listens to get into it properly.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Listening to the high quality leak rather than the low quality vinyl rip makes such a huge difference.

You can hear all the layers of each song properly.

This album definitely takes a few listens to get into it properly.

Where did you find the HQ leak? I've been searching around and struggling to find it. My vinyl just shipped, can't wait!

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to giving it a listen.

Became a big fan in the Humbug and just-after era (loved all 3 initial albums, that's just when I got super into them). Was on the forums anticipating SIAS etc... Thought SIAS was alright but a decline, and then I was a little meh towards AM. The line "You're not from New York City your're from Rotherham" suddenly felt like an attack on themselves.

Anyway, will give it a good go, hope it's good. I still like Humbug, so if there are vibes of that, i'm excited.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I love this direction Alex has been taking the past couple years. Such a unique sound. This album doesnt have a single on it, I can see it not getting anywhere close to the numbers AM got, but it's a very unique experience. The songs are all catchy as fuck once you let them simmer in after a couple listens. It's like a space opera mixed with lounge jazz and Frank Sinatra, sprinkled with some Ziggy Stardust for good measure

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love this direction Alex has been taking the past couple years. Such a unique sound. This album doesnt have a single on it, I can see it not getting anywhere close to the numbers AM got, but it's a very unique experience. The songs are all catchy as fuck once you let them simmer in after a couple listens. It's like a space opera mixed with lounge jazz and Frank Sinatra, sprinkled with some Ziggy Stardust for good measure
Is it anything like Humbug when it comes to the mood? Not sound, mind you. I heard that two times now and a third time would make me very happy. :P

Nov 18, 2017
First impressions are this album is a car crash.

If it weren't for the band name, no-one would willingly listen to this.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've listened a few times, and I'm not sure what to think quite yet. There are some moments I really like, but also a lot of instances where the tempo is same-y. Really drags in certain parts.

Nov 18, 2017

So... not really unique, and more... heavily derivative? It's like a pastiche of that era/genre.