• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of blasphemy are you perpetuating in my thread

I used to think this but listening to Whatever a few times before this new album and I just don't like it the way I used too. It sill has a certain nostalgic place in my heart but I found myself skipping through it.

That combined with the fact I think Suck it and See is very underrated. I skip Library Pictures and All my own stunts and make it into a tight 10 track album and it's dope. That's Where You're Wrong >>> your favourite arctic monkeys song

lastflowers

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Having re-read the thread, this album definitely is done a disservice with a low quality rip. If you formed an opinion based on that, you might want to relisten now that it's officially released.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think this but listening to Whatever a few times before this new album and I just don't like it the way I used too. It sill has a certain nostalgic place in my heart but I found myself skipping through it.

That combined with the fact I think Suck it and See is very underrated. I skip Library Pictures and All my own stunts and make it into a tight 10 track album and it's dope. That's Where You're Wrong >>> your favourite arctic monkeys song
Anything with Brick by Brick cannot be better than anything with Riot Van or Red Lights Indicate Doors are Secured.

It is known

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Brick by Brick is good though. Sure it's a dumb, catchy, energetic rock song, it's not trying to be anything else but fun. It fits very well on the album too, it stops it from becoming too samey and gives it a break from the schmaltz which could (and maybe still does) become a little overbearing. It's Mid tier.

Not gonna claim it's better than those two classic songs though lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Brick by Brick is good though. Sure it's a dumb, catchy, energetic rock song, it's not trying to be anything else but fun. It fits very well on the album too, it stops it from becoming too samey and gives it a break from the schmaltz which could (and maybe still does) become a little overbearing. It's Mid tier.

Im just teasing, if you dig it, more power to you. Everyones entitled to their opinion. Id put SI&S at the bottom but I don't think the band has ever released a bad album.

Humbug/TBH+C>FWN>Whatever>AM>Si&S for me personally. But I enjoy them all.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Im just teasing, if you dig it, more power to you. Everyones entitled to their opinion. Id put SI&S at the bottom but I don't think the band has ever released a bad album.

Humbug/TBH+C>FWN>Whatever>AM>Si&S for me personally. But I enjoy them all.
Yeah I know, I like them all too!

Also Submarine is secretly top 3 Alex Turner albums don't @ me

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Why on earth would you skip Library Pictures and All my own Stunts? Especially All my own Stunts has like the best chorus on the album lol. Library Pictures is just as dumb as Brick by Brick but has a nice rhythm to it at least.
Those are legit some of the best songs on that LP. I can't right now.

lastflowers

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Wa

the beauty of music is that it should only be used to combine people, not divide it. If you love it, more power to you. No one should be mocked or made fun of for the shit that makes their hips move :), unless its the bieber ;)

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
the beauty of music is that it should only be used to combine people, not divide it. If you love it, more power to you. No one should be mocked or made fun of for the shit that makes their hips move :), unless its the bieber ;)
Holy wars shall be waged across space and time against those that do not accept the trinity of righteousness that is TBH,FWN and Humbug. Thou shalt stand with us, or against us, there will be no negotiations

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Finally got a minute of downtime between work and school, just to say USPS took pity on me and delivered my package early so I just got the Vinyl in and it looks amazing. Also I don't see enough love for Batphone in the thread. So my vote for OT title is either "We Have Redecorated It All" or "Killer Pink Flamingos, Era Controlled"

Also Omnipotent Absolutely check out Pond I think you'd dig em dude, since you like King Gizzard, and you'll really love em if you like Mac DeMarco

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a minute of downtime between work and school, just to say USPS took pity on me and delivered my package early so I just got the Vinyl in and it looks amazing. Also I don't see enough love for Batphone in the thread. So my vote for OT title is either "We Have Redecorated It All" or "Killer Pink Flamingos, Era Controlled"

Also Omnipotent Absolutely check out Pond I think you'd dig em dude, since you like King Gizzard, and you'll really love em if you like Mac DeMarco
Will do, been hearing about Demarco for a while but never bothered to check em out.

Batphone is definitely one of the best tracks here though. Unfortunately USPS hath not answered my prayers and thus im stuck waiting til monday.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Will do, been hearing about Demarco for a while but never bothered to check em out.

Batphone is definitely one of the best tracks here though. Unfortunately USPS hath not answered my prayers and thus im stuck waiting til monday.

Oh man, you need to listen Mac asap. He's great.

Can't go wrong with Salad Days

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I heard a bit of it on Beats 1, and it sounds like it could have been released alongside bands like Pulp and Suede in the early '90s.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Let Alex Turner do the next Bond theme please

giphy.gif

Well now I need this to happen

Mayordolo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for that.

First listen to the album this morning I was pretty bummed. Second listen I liked it a little better. Four Out of Five is great. I like One Point Perspective, Monster Truck, and Ultracheese as well. It definitely puts me in mind of The Last Shadow Puppets, only even more experimental and lacking hooks for the most part. Four Out of Five in particular sticks out like a sore thumb because of the lack of that in the other tracks, as it is probably the most traditionally structured of the tracks.

I will say for me I love the sound of the album, it's mainly how wordy it is that bothers me. Not a huge fan of the vocal approach he took in some songs, either, but I suspect I can grow to enjoy it. Will definitely keep listening.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
It's up there with Suck it and See and Humbug.
It's a slow burn album.
Favorite tracks so far is Star Treatment, One Point Perspective and 4 out of 5.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like the album. Nothing really stands out, the sound they are going for does nothing for me, all the songs are instantly forgettable and boring except Four out of Five.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe how hard I've swung round on this album. Songs that I found literally laughable on first listen now give me goosebumps.

It's stylish as fuck. The sound of the title track could be lifted straight out of something like A Clockwork Orange.

This is an "album" album. There are tracks here I like more than others but I already can't imagine skipping anything. The way the album flows, the way the sounds change and transition, actively makes other songs better. It's an album made for vinyl in that it's made for how people used to listen to music. It's not an album for today's listening trends of cherrypicking individual tracks for playlists.

One hell of a piece of work and I don't think my first impression of an album has ever been more wrong.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
This record requires a good pair of headphones and multiple listens to appreciate. It's really starting to win me over, particularly American Sports, the titular track and Science Fiction. Humbug is my favourite Arctic Monkeys album and I think this is up there, although it's a radical departure and feels way more Alex Turner than Arctic Monkeys.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed on the headphones front. Having now listened through it a couple times now, I actually don't know that I'd be into many of these songs live, as I fear they'd come across kind of flat in terms of depth of sound. This album feels dense - layers of grime, fuzz, reverb, bass, keys. There's depth on a production level here that I really appreciate, and it was good to finally be able to listen through with a pair of good headphones and just kind of sink into the recordings. Not sure if any of that makes sense or not, haha. Also, while I think Alex's vocals are fine, I'd also love to be able to just hear the clean instrumentals, honestly.

This album is fascinating.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Had a listen to the full thing now. Not a big fan honestly, and I had hoped that a good few TLSP fans liking it meant I would but it doesn't feel like either AM or TLSP to me. Four Out of Five is easily the highlight (that being said I listened to that 40 second snippet we got of it before release so much that I was almost bound to like it). Finding it hard to remember any other track honestly. But I'll give it more of a chance. I didn't like AM on first few listens but I love it now.

Although I really feel like the piano at times is overkill, and I'm not keen on whatever that thing Alex is doing with his voice in a lot of the songs. I feel like he's trying to change his style but I'm not sure he knows what way he's trying to change it to.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe how hard I've swung round on this album. Songs that I found literally laughable on first listen now give me goosebumps.

It's stylish as fuck. The sound of the title track could be lifted straight out of something like A Clockwork Orange.

This is an "album" album. There are tracks here I like more than others but I already can't imagine skipping anything. The way the album flows, the way the sounds change and transition, actively makes other songs better. It's an album made for vinyl in that it's made for how people used to listen to music. It's not an album for today's listening trends of cherrypicking individual tracks for playlists.

One hell of a piece of work and I don't think my first impression of an album has ever been more wrong.
Im glad you were finally able to see the light

Oct 27, 2017
Im glad you were finally able to see the light

Haha. Well as I said earlier.. I'm from Sheffield and I've been following this lot since before the debut album dropped. A couple of listens and some bad opinions online was never going to be the last chance I gave this album.

I think it's their best work. I really do. There is so much going on this album.

Oct 24, 2017
I'm gonna have to listen to more, but from what I've heard so far it seems like an evolution of the more low-key parts of AM like Mad Sounds and No. 1 Party Album. Obviously not a perfect comparison, but it's my thoughts so far.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. Well as I said earlier.. I'm from Sheffield and I've been following this lot since before the debut album dropped. A couple of listens and some bad opinions online was never going to be the last chance I gave this album.

I think it's their best work. I really do. There is so much going on this album.
i agree with ya there. phenomenal album and easily a solid 10 imo. What theyve pulled off here will probably be one of the best albums of the decade

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
After listened it to a few more times, this is an even better record, and the first in a long long time that needs to be experienced fully from beginning to end to truly digest its greatness. Individual snippets will do it a disservice.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I heard about 5 songs and so far, it's not for me. After the first 2 albums, I thought Arctic Monkeys would eventually be the Rock band of our generation, sadly their last albums do absolutely nothing for me.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Likely why there were no singles

Yeah, was about to add that to the post, actually.

Other than 4 stars and maybe the title song, there isn't a proper song than stands out as a single material, which is not a bad thing, but a lot of people take it upon themselves to criticize the Monkeys for it.

I gotta commend them for that, AM really was a really famous album that positioned them hard on the States, and instead on jumping on its success, they take a step back and deliver this instead. Amazing.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice, slow album, but it does not have longevity. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to this. I'm not sure if I will ever listen to it again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice, slow album, but it does not have longevity. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to this. I'm not sure if I will ever listen to it again.
ive listened to this album countless times
And its only been out since yesterday. I think youll be surprised. Even someone here that hated it on first listen loves it now. Its just a very different type of album

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the album is fantastic and I can't stop listening to it.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
someone help me like She Looks Like Fun, that's the one song I can't get into. It sounds like a terrible QOTSA song

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
someone help me like She Looks Like Fun, that's the one song I can't get into. It sounds like a terrible QOTSA song
I agree, every song on this album I either love or like in general, but She Looks Like Fun is so hard to like for me too. I want to say its the hard intro and chorus, but I just don't know...

OP
OP

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Its the one i think is weakest but i still like it. Also Hughesta wheres your Murder of the Universe review? >:(