• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 31, 2017
The freedom tower observation deck is 10x better than the ESB. And it's indoors with a full glass 360 degree view of NYC + NJ.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Technically, you'll be able to see all the big landmarks in 5 days, prepare your feet to hurt like hell from all the walking, but in reality you never get to see everything...been living here for 3 years now and even now I discover new stuff all the time. Also, March is not the greatest month to come to New York, the weather sucks, end of April is in my opinion when the gates for tourism should open because it's not so windy anymore around that time. I work for a ticket broker company so when it comes to broadway tickets I can tell you how to get them the cheapest yourself without paying enormus ticket fees etc. Just don't expect $50 Lion King or Hamilton tickets lol

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Technically, you'll be able to see all the big landmarks in 5 days, prepare your feet to hurt like hell from all the walking, but in reality you never get to see everything...been living here for 3 years now and even now I discover new stuff all the time. Also, March is not the greatest month to come to New York, the weather sucks, end of April is in my opinion when the gates for tourism should open because it's not so windy anymore around that time. I work for a ticket broker company so when it comes to broadway tickets I can tell you how to get them the cheapest yourself without paying enormus ticket fees etc. Just don't expect $50 Lion King or Hamilton tickets lol

first week of April is bad?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Protip, go to westlight for the best veiw of the city.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
NYC is just another big City, a nice city to live for sure but as a tourist you'll do everything in a few days. Parks, buildings, try a few of the typical food places and museums.

Like most big cities, if you have a specific hobby, try to make your trip overlap with an event. ie, concert, show, festival, conventions, etc etc. Otherwise you'll just experience the typical boring stuff.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
Will keep this thread on my watchlist for when i eventually visit NY

No time for lying down. I'll do that when I hit Cancún my next stop

I know you are saying you want to lie down, but i suggest a vist to Coba pyramids, I had a great time there, rent a bike and go around sighting the ruins, unlike chichen itza, you can climb the piramids, and is less busy.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Will keep this thread on my watchlist for when i eventually visit NY

I know you are saying you want to lie down, but i suggest a vist to Coba pyramids, I had a great time there, rent a bike and go around sighting the ruins, unlike chichen itza, you can climb the piramids, and is less busy.

I want to spend 5 nights there. Chichen Itza is a must. I'll see what I can do on the other days

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
first week of April is bad?
Honestly March/early April is such a crapshoot. Sometimes it's beautiful 60-70 degree weather, other times it can be super cold, rainy and even snowy in March. I'd still take them both over the July-August sweatbox or the late November-February icebox with crazy wind.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
Have you looked at the CityPass? I understand visitors generally like the stuff they have on offer.
If you're not married to staying in Manhattan and places just over the bridges, I'd recommend seeing more of Queens, esp for food.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
I went a couple months ago. Was there about the same time as you and I'd say I saw most everything, but there were some concessions: Central Park is absolutely massive. I saw barely 1/4 to 1/8 of it only. I took the Staten island ferry to see the statue instead of going the traditional route. And etc. My point is, I saw the stuff but was rushed the whole time and walked like 15 mi/day. My advice, see less and spend more time at each thing. And if you wanna see the statue up close, you better get there at like 8 am or you'll be in line forever 😂

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I found a way I could go to NYC last week of April (Tribeca festival hype). Now if only my colleagues and my boss allow me, it will be perfect.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Compared to what? Tokyo??

It's a big city. Manhattan alone is big.

One can pretty much traverse the entire city in a few hours. I'm saying people have this idea of New York in their head like it's some massive place, but it's really not.

I've been to New York five or six times. I think Seattle and even Los Angeles felt larger. New York is dense, but it feels small.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
One can pretty much traverse the entire city in a few hours. I'm saying people have this idea of New York in their head like it's some massive place, but it's really not.

I've been to New York five or six times. I think Seattle and even Los Angeles felt larger. New York is dense, but it feels small.
Do you mean NYC or Manhattan?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Lol, you really think you can traverse all 5 boroughs in a few hours??

Yea dude, I've done it. Not like walking of course. I'm going to take a taxi from point to point. I figure straight walking would take what - four hours down Broadway? But if you need to just get from one end of the city to other the train or taxi doesn't take long at all. Compare that to moving from the north end of LA or Seattle to the south.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
All of NYC. Maybe I'm just not impressed coming from working in and around DC and northern Virginia so much.
Really? NYC is 5 times the size of DC and more than 3 times the size of Seattle. I'm gonna have to call BS on this one. With NYC traffic there is no way you can traverse most of the city in a couple hours

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yea dude, I've done it. Not like walking of course. I'm going to take a taxi from point to point. I figure straight walking would take what - four hours down Broadway? But if you need to just get from one end of the city to other the train or taxi doesn't take long at all. Compare that to moving from the north end of LA or Seattle to the south.
You're thinking of Manhattan...not the entire city.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

so you are just talking about Manhattan

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always use this page (https://www.visitacity.com) to get an initial idea of the types of attractions/sites/sights to visit when going to a new city.

They have guides depending on the amount of time you plan to spend in a city, in your case: https://www.visitacity.com/en/new-york-city/itinerary-by-day/5

Then what I do is mix and match to only go to the places that actually interest me. They also have different types of guides, like "packed", "easy going", "for families", etc.

I hope that helps. I haven't actually visited NYC myself, heh.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Depends on what you think essential is. In 5 days you can expect to get the jist of what there is and leave satisfied. Be prepared to be in a hurry and be prepared to spend money. Especially if you want dope food. You dont have to spend a lot but you have to know where to go ahead of time.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

That's...Manhattan, the smallest borough and one half the size of the second smallest.

To the OP. Major tourist sites can easily be done in 5 days, if not in 2-3 like others have said. People here can give you some more niche places to visit, Museums, historical sites, theaters, restaurants, etc. Just tell us what your interests are.

And we all hope you enjoy, just do us a solid and don't spend a couple of days and go on about how you've figured out all of NYC, as people have a tendency to do here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
More than enough. Maybe 4. Days max. 2-3 is very tough depending on when you go but 5 days is plenty. Especially if planned well.

Dec 12, 2017
Sorry do you know what the five boroughs are??? You took a cab to from Parkchester to Staten Island to Whitestone and more in a few hours???

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning to visit the New World for the first time in March-April 2020.

I'm mainly interested in Manhattan and Brooklyn Heights. There's apparently a castle up the Hudson River and the Cold Spring area which I'd like to visit, just to get a sense of rural America.

i might also be booking a Broadway show and I don't know if I could get a place at one of the talk shows. It looks like it's a lottery for that second thing so I'm not counting on that.
Even though it is still expensive as fuck, I'd try to see Hamilton. I saw it on broadway, and I don't think it would be the same if you saw it anywhere else because it is so very New York centered.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sorry do you know what the five boroughs are??? You took a cab to from Parkchester to Staten Island to Whitestone in a few hours???

Yea. Is my experience bizarre or something? Taxi rides from one side of the city to the other, even to Jersey, hasn't ever been that long for me. Am I just amazingly lucky or something?

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Even though it is still expensive as fuck, I'd try to see Hamilton. I saw it on broadway, and I don't think it would be the same if you saw it anywhere else because it is so very New York centered.

Isn't the Hamilton broadway show revisionist history? Either way it's too expensive and I'm not interested

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
5 days here in NYC?

you wont see everything but if you plan correctly, you'll be satisfied.

Like pizza? find a 2bros pizza shop. $1 slice while out and about.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yea. Is my experience bizarre or something? Taxi rides from one side of the city to the other, even to Jersey, hasn't ever been that long for me. Am I just amazingly lucky or something?
Ah yes, the correct way to visit and judge any location - in a taxi from one end to the other. You can probably jog through Disney World Magic Kingdom in 20 minutes -- why people bother spending more than 2 hours there is beyond me!

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just got back from my trip of 7 days. I only stayed in Manhattan and I didn't get to see everything I wanted. Though the longest thing I had to stand in line for was The Late Show because ticket holders have to get there sooner. Everything else was basically walking right in since I had tickets in advance. Plan ahead on what you can do in a day. On average, I was going to 2-3 places a day

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I just got back from my trip of 7 days. I only stayed in Manhattan and I didn't get to see everything I wanted. Though the longest thing I had to stand in line for was The Late Show because ticket holders have to get there sooner. Everything else was basically walking right in since I had tickets in advance. Plan ahead on what you can do in a day. On average, I was going to 2-3 places a day

The late Show isn't a lottery? You can reserve a ticket on a specific date?

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The late Show isn't a lottery? You can reserve a ticket on a specific date?
Well, it's still a lottery. But you can choose a day. I was fortunate because I was confirmed about 2 weeks before my week there and I put in my request about 2 months earlier. Conan works the same way, but I already got confirmed tickets to a show in November. So it depends on who gets picked or if there's room I guess.