• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
One of the craziest things I've seen in NYC is the line for the Empire State Building observation deck in July when I took some people visiting there.

The wait was like 6 hours. Imagine if you didn't make much money and saved up your whole life for a 5 day NYC vacation and half of one of your days was standing in line for 6 hours in the lobby of a building.

i probably won't go atop the Empire or the Statue of Liberty.

the 30 Rock however if it has an observation deck I'll go up there

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's only enough time to go to Sleep No More maybe 3 times, but otherwise it should be enough time to hit most of the big stuff.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Empire state building is nice, I've been up numerous times. If you do it definitely try to go up at night time so you can see the city lights

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man i always find it fascinating how tourists romanticize nyc, as a person who is been here 20+ years its w/e. I actually hate driving/going to Manhattan due to how freaking crowded it is. As for TC sure why not. Make sure you visit Times Square around 12-2 AM at night. Thats when its not as crowded but still more crowded than 99.9% cities in the world. But shops are open till 2 AM and bars are open till 4-6 AM so your gucci.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
You can see A LOT in five days. My partner, who is an old resident, and I covered pretty much every check box on 4 days, and then just laid in bed on our final day.

Just be prepared to walk a lot

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Man i always find it fascinating how tourists romanticize nyc, as a person who is been here 20+ years its w/e. I actually hate driving/going to Manhattan due to how freaking crowded it is. As for TC sure why not. Make sure you visit Times Square around 12-2 AM at night. Thats when its not as crowded but still more crowded than 99.9% cities in the world. But shops are open till 2 AM and bars are open till 4-6 AM so your gucci.

whats w/e and TC?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Depends how you define essentials but yeah you can cross off the bucket list type stuff in 5 days. I could spend years just going to amazing restaurants but that's not really what you are after.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, five days is not enough to see all of Manhattan even.

Maybe you should tell us what the "essential places" of NYC are?

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
OP just be prepared that the city is pretty dreadful and will make you feel better about living anywhere else. By day 5 you'll be going mad.

Dec 12, 2017
One of the craziest things I've seen in NYC is the line for the Empire State Building observation deck in July when I took some people visiting there.

The wait was like 6 hours. Imagine if you didn't make much money and saved up your whole life for a 5 day NYC vacation and half of one of your days was standing in line for 6 hours in the lobby of a building.
Yeah, I've only been up once, and that's because my company is a tenant and we get to cut the lines. I really wouldn't recommend it. It would be low on the list. If you want a view go to a rooftop bar or something.

If you ever get the chance visit Boston. It's smaller, cleaner, and about a dozen times less superficial than NYC. It also doesn't smell like a dumpster every day.
You'll be bored in Boston after a day.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ANy visit to NYC is fun.

My advice, don't stress "doing everything" or "seeing everything," you won't have as good of a time. I'd honestly recommend just sticking to a neighborhood/area and adding a handful of other sights to your agenda but not trying to knock off everything like a checklist. It's insane how much there is to do in a single neighborhood.

This is great advice. Don't stress about what you have and haven't seen, or else you end up missing the forest for the trees. Enjoy yourself, take a stroll through Central Park, take a carriage ride.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
I didn't either. NYC is fucking expensive, or you're eating like shit.

Nah, this is not accurate. I lived and worked in the city for years.

Yeah, you can easily drop $100 or more per person for nice meal, but eating cheap is not difficult in New York.

- Joe's Pizza (probably the most popular pizza spot for tourists). There are tons of pizza places that are good and even a few dollar pizza places that pretty decent. Just don't go to the one around the corner from Joe's in midtown.
- Tons of cart food. Some of it can be hit or miss, but it's like $6 or maybe $7 now for a platter. Not the best food, but it's ok
- Tourist type restaurants like Carmine's are good for families. family style and relatively cheap.
- Any random deli or bagel spot. Best bagel on W 35th is one of my favorites.

I could probably go on for hours. It could be overwhelming for a tourist because you don't know the spots, but google is your friend.

Nov 13, 2017
Yes.

Proof: I live here. lol.

Tips: Do a hop on hop off bus tour. Go to a cool show (Harry Potter is supposed to be mind blowing), do "Sleep No More", do stuff in Brooklyn too.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I stayed for a week and didn't make it to most of the places I wanted to go. Not even tourist spots. Just places I've wanted to go.

My next trip to NY will be two weeks, minimum.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Nah, this is not accurate. I lived and worked in the city for years.

Yeah, you can easily drop $100 or more per person for nice meal, but eating cheap is not difficult in New York.

- Joe's Pizza (probably the most popular pizza spot for tourists). There are tons of pizza places that are good and even a few dollar pizza places that pretty decent. Just don't go to the one around the corner from Joe's in midtown.
- Tons of cart food. Some of it can be hit or miss, but it's like $6 or maybe $7 now for a platter. Not the best food, but it's ok
- Tourist type restaurants like Carmine's are good for families. family style and relatively cheap.
- Any random deli or bagel spot. Best bagel on W 35th is one of my favorites.

I could probably go on for hours. It could be overwhelming for a tourist because you don't know the spots, but google is your friend.

I'm already salivating.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about New York is not about things to see, it's about being a place where things of a certain magnitude happen that you can't get anywhere else. Can you see all the touristy crap in 5 days? Yeah, probably. Can you experience all that NYC has to offer? Not even if you lived there for a lifetime.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
The thing about New York is not about things to see, it's about being a place where things of a certain magnitude happen that you can't get anywhere else. Can you see all the touristy crap in 5 days? Yeah, probably. Can you experience all that NYC has to offer? Not even if you lived there for a lifetime.
You live there?

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dude European cities are more expensive. All cities unless South East Asia or in Portugal are expensive.

No they're not, been in plenty of European cities, hell I live in one, a decent dinner with a couple glasses of wine is more expensive in NY.
I think I paid fucking 12 dollars for a glass of wine!

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has lived in NYC almost their entire lives, you can hit up the essentials in about a day. Five is plenty.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly this person knows. New York has experiences every day. Shit changes fast.

Also to the op be careful with the broad way tickets.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
If you know what you're doing with the subway, you can move around very quickly. I went up for a long weekend last month and got through a lot of things. It will probably be crowded and cold in March, but I'd suggest going on the High Line park. It was very beautiful in early September...though as said, crowded.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

Nope. I live in Boston but I go there pretty frequently since it's only a couple of hours away by driving or train.

Like when I end up going to New York, it's usually for something happening there. One time I went to NY was to see Marit Larsen performing at Rockwood Music Hall. I was in this intimate setting of maybe 50 people, I got to sit 30 feet away from her and listen to one of my most favorite artists in the world perform. New York is one of the few cities that can attract talent so frequently to experience that sort of thing on the regular. Then you have all these Broadway stars that just do random stuff. Like how 54 Below has Broadway Princess Parties. You wanna see actual stage Disney Princesses belting out their tunes? Hit one of those up. It's cabaret so not a shitty seat in the house.

Plus there's all these random chance things that pop up that you might get to experience if you're out there. One night you might be sitting at Marie's Crisis and Darren Criss and Lea Salonga come out of nowhere and do a duet of "A Whole New World" and then Lea belts out "On My Own". U2 might be busking on a fucking subway. When Fat Beats was around you could hang out there and some unknown hip hop prodigy might be performing. Who knows. Shit like this happens and if you're out there you might be lucky enough to be a part of something. That's what New York is.

Greatest city in the fucking universe.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be about 50 degrees by March just Googling the average temp just now.
So that should work in your favor a bit.
Slightly less other tourists. Just slightly.
Truth is NYC is crowded every damn day of the year.
Just have a decent jacket. It can feel even colder as the wind gets caught between the buildings and creates a wind tunnel basically.
March fucking sucks here, it's been worse weather wise than February these past few years. Fuck March

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
No they're not, been in plenty of European cities, hell I live in one, a decent dinner with a couple glasses of wine is more expensive in NY.
I think I paid fucking 12 dollars for a glass of wine!
Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland are some of the most expensive places on the planet. I can take you to a bar in brooklyn where we have a $5 tequila + high life special called "low life"...Manhattan mid town isn't whole of nyc...

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland are some of the most expensive places on the planet. I can take you to a bar in brooklyn where we have a $5 tequila + high life special called "low life"...Manhattan mid town isn't whole of nyc...
Ok that's fair, my experiences are limited to Manhattan.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
It's that Boston dude again. You should have went to the waterside parks: Brooklyn Bridge Park, Long Island City waterside, Brooklyn Barge at Williamsburg, Rooftop at the Williamsvale. Plenty of beautiful people to look at, as well as scenery.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
March will be cold and there's a fair chance of snow on the ground. But it won't be bitterly cold like November-February.

5 days would be enough to see quite a few places in Manhattan, but you won't really get the whole feel of NYC until you're there for much longer. Also take into account the amount of time you'll need to get from place to place and don't plan on visiting more than 2-3 areas per day if you want to enjoy them.

Edit: also find a good breakfast spot near your lodgings and hit it up every day. You'll meet nice locals and get a feel for the pace of city life.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
5 days is not enough imo as a local. You'd need a month. But, that said, 5 days is enough to see some really nice things and have really good experiences/food. Enjoy yourself regardless and don't mind us walking around looking upset. We aren't upset at you :).

Oct 2, 2018

you need to follow the guides and go early. I didnt wait long at all to get to that or the statue of liberty line.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

While that sounds horrible, the view is breathtaking and definitely one of those "once in a lifetime" type moments. I'm from Chicago and NYC's skyline blows ours out the water. Never seen anything like it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
While that sounds horrible, the view is breathtaking and definitely one of those "once in a lifetime" type moments. I'm from Chicago and NYC's skyline blows ours out the water. Never seen anything like it.
Alternatively you can go to the top of 30 rock for a fraction of the time and get to see the skyline, central park and the empire state building