• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I hate the shape of them. They don't fit my ears right. They're always really lose and falling out. At first I thought for sure I was putting them in wrong, but nope, that's just how they go in.

I prefer little buds that go in-ear. No matter what I try I always go back to that. But I also still use a wired set most of the time.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're overpriced, uncomfortable garbage like all their other earbuds. It baffles me how a multi-billion dollar corporation can't figure out how to make buds that sound decent and can actually fit in the human ear comfortably. Then again, they did release iOS 11 in its sad state.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I love mine. Sound good, and fit really well. The convenience is worth the price of admission.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, unless you find pairing/Siri integration indispensable, they are far better alternatives out there.

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
They're overpriced, uncomfortable garbage like all their other earbuds. It baffles me how a multi-billion dollar corporation can't figure out how to make buds that sound decent and can actually fit in the human ear comfortably. Then again, they did release iOS 11 in its sad state.

They fit perfectly fine for me and I think that the price is right for what you get in return.
But to each their own.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
If they fit your ears & you have multiple Apple devices, it's a no brainer. I switch regularly between all my devices and it is just super easy to do with AirPods. The sheer convenience alone is worth the price.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, unless you find pairing/Siri integration indispensable, they are far better alternatives out there.
Not exactly. Beyond Siri and pairing, they also have among top of the line battery life for true wireless buds, the included case basically makes battery life a non-issue, and are actually priced comparably for true wireless buds. I'd say if you own more than one apple device, unless they don't fit your ears or sound quality is absolutely paramount, you'd actually be hard pressed to find an all around better truly wireless option.

The ah ha moment for me was taking conference calls at work. Firstly that I can take calls from my Mac or iPhone on them depending on what meeting service is being used by just selecting them on that device. More importantly I can use them even for all day dial in meetings by only using one, and then when it chimes that it's at 10%, pop in the other one and put the dying one back in the case. A wireless ear bud that can seamlessly go all day for dial in meetings? Truly the future.

Last edited:

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
They look ridiculous and have the same quality control when it comes to sound quality as all apple headphones (I.e. barely any). Get yourself a pair of Jaybird X3s for half the price.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's much better options on the market now.

I've tried a few different options, and the Sony WF-1000X are my favorite by far.
https://www.whathifi.com/sony/wf-1000x/review

They have NOISE-CANCELLING!
I bought these two weeks ago and I use them as general purpose earbuds (gym, work, home doing chores) and they're good, but they do have downsides. I would love to use the AirPods, but they don't fit my ear and are painful.

-Connection on right ear will cut out a few times
-Battery is 3 hours
-connection can be finicky when you are switching between apps and such

on the plus side
+sound quality is really, really nice
+they fit my ear perfectly
+the noise cancelling kind of works. Kind of

The connection issues are widely reported, but not as bad as the reviews make it seem. I used them extensively on friday (the full three hours) and they only disconnected once. They will disconnect - no question about it - and they REALLY SHOULDNT for that price. These reek of the sony bullshit a little.

For the 300 I spent, it should be perfect - I'm on the fence about returning them. If I could get the apple tech with this sony form factor, i'd be very happy.

Last edited:

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
People saying there are better alternatives, can you point me to any wireless ones that don't have this type of form factor for the buds?

71SKV6pxbLL._SL400_.jpg

I can't stand this type of earbud, wireless or otherwise. Even if the AirPods didn't have any of its other features like the charging case and ease of use in the Apple ecosystem I'd still get them for the form factor alone. They fit perfectly in my ears.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you can ignore the free market and only read pro-Apple puff pieces, then pretend you're being objective, while having the nerve to be condescending to people on top of all that.
You're being foolish, and completely dodging the price discussion. You're shadowboxing imaginary Apple fanboys but really just come off as some sort of obsessed hate-follower.

I own AirPods as well as multiple audiophile level headphones and they sound great for what they are (wireless buds). They also don't sound just like the AirPods. They are shaped different, having more bass for one.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
The OP didn't say recommendations had to be 'true' wireless. Personally I prefer something preventing my £100+ headphones from falling out of my ear and being lost forever.
I have used them for over 200 workouts including probably 75+ runs over a mile. They have never fallen out once in over 200 hours.

BoldAsLove

Oct 28, 2017
FL
I love mine. The sound quality is the same as the regular EarPods though. I love having truly completely wireless earbuds that sync up instantly. The case is brilliant and your AirPods are always charged. The case only needs to be charged maybe once a week for me.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They look ridiculous and have the same quality control when it comes to sound quality as all apple headphones (I.e. barely any). Get yourself a pair of Jaybird X3s for half the price.

How are those anything like AirPods

All these people scream "get these other ones!"

Yeah well they have wires. No thanks.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They fit perfectly fine for me and I think that the price is right for what you get in return.
But to each their own.

I'm glad you're enjoying your purchase. Truly. But they fit like shit for me and they sound like dollar store earbuds. I wish I could say I'm unusual, but these are common complaints. The lack of wires are a nice convenience, but not at the cost of comfort and sound quality. I'll stick with my $20 Skullcandies (that sound much better and are infinitely more comfortable) until there are good wireless alternatives.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
How are those anything like AirPods

All these people scream "get these other ones!"

Yeah well they have wires. No thanks.

I feel like noone reads the OP. Yeah they're considering Airpods, but they're asking for new Bluetooth headphones. You might be able to point out that they already have Jaybird X2s so recommending X3s isn't the best idea, but nowhere do they stipulate that any and all recommendations must be exactly equivalent to Airpods.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe they already said $70. Not great. Not horrible. Just meh.

Edit - I'm hoping the my start including them as the standard case. I'd rather just sell my current ones used and buy a new set. We'll see.
There's no way I need to throw them on a wireless charger with my phone and watch, since I charge them so infrequently, but I need it.

I'm glad you're enjoying your purchase. Truly. But they fit like shit for me and they sound like dollar store earbuds. I wish I could say I'm unusual, but these are common complaints. The lack of wires are a nice convenience, but not at the cost of comfort and sound quality. I'll stick with my $20 Skullcandies (that sound much better and are infinitely more comfortable) until there are good wireless alternatives.
Im gonna have to chalk up your sound comparison to the fact that they don't fit you well, because the sound quality is actually pretty good. I mean it's significantly better than EarPods and even those are better than you describe.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like noone reads the OP. Yeah they're considering Airpods, but they're asking for new Bluetooth headphones. You might be able to point out that they already have Jaybird X2s so recommending X3s isn't the best idea, but nowhere do they stipulate that any and all recommendations must be exactly equivalent to Airpods.
Very true. But the lack of wires is a major distinguishment. As I mentioned above, that lack of wires basically makes these the first BT earbuds that can last all day for a dial in meeting. Or lets you use just one as an ear piece instead of ear buds if you are otherwise taking a call.

You're correct in that he was just asking for recommendations. But if he's looking at AirPods to begin with, the lack of any wires is an advantage that should be called out in any comparisons.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy, but I honestly think they're one of the best products Apple has made. I will say that I have zero trouble with fit (I didn't with EarPods either), so I can't comment there. However I was pleasantly surprised at how decent they sound, and they're just convenient as fuck.

I'm not sure how other similar products work, but the ease with which you pair and use AirPods is just incredible. And they're especially useful for when I'm Skyping with a friend while gaming, I can just throw one in an ear and I'm off. The lack of any wires at all is awesome. You throw those fuckers in and just forget about them. And when they recently patched in the ability to customize what tapping each side did, they fixed one of my major gripes. They have a decent span off one charge, and the case makes it so that as long as I remember to plug the case in every couple days, battery has literally never been an issue.

I was hesitant at first, about both price and audio quality, but honestly that hasn't been an issue at all for me. I use them every day, without fail, they're really one of my favorite Apple products.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
People saying there are better alternatives, can you point me to any wireless ones that don't have this type of form factor for the buds?

I can't stand this type of earbud, wireless or otherwise. Even if the AirPods didn't have any of its other features like the charging case and ease of use in the Apple ecosystem I'd still get them for the form factor alone. They fit perfectly in my ears.
There's a reason almost no one sells the rest-on-ear-pods. The lack of a seal is abysmal for sound-reproduction, mostly in the lower mid and bass ranges. I have heard that complaint before and I definitely understand some people don't like to have their ears fucked lol My dad uses the old earpods religiously. He's a musichead and he won't use anything other than those. Like someone else said earlier in the thread, AirPods and EarPods are meant for hassle-free casual listening. Which I totally agree with.

With that said, of course there are alternatives to the AirPods. An Apple product isn't successful unless someone shamelessly apes them for 1/3rd of the price!
5165YrZH0-L._SL1000_.jpg

Read the reviews and you be the judge on those. There's many just like it if you look around on Amazon and don't want to break the bank. Cheers.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think if the regular earpods don't fit you, that means you should avoid these.

Personaly, never having to think about charging my airpods after years of using my Jaybird X2s was more than worth the purchase. I basically wear them almost all the time. It would be hard to go back to a set that doesn't have the auto-pause and tapping features.
I had Jaybirds for literally three months before the battery randomly just shat itself. Couldn't get it refunded and when I looked that issue up online I saw that numerous people had the same thing happen to them. Super disappointed with them.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Apple Air Pods are amazing. Obviously they are not for everyone. If standard apple earpods don't fit your ear, these won't be much be much better. I was apparently blessed with ear canals that fit the air pods perfectly.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best earbuds I have ever used by far and totally worth the cost for me.

Sound quality-wise, they're fine. I can't really tell the difference with earbuds most of the time. It's just how convenient and portable they are that makes them invaluable to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to buy one but they cost around the equivalent of $200 in my country

Regular EarPods fit well in my ear although I wish they feel a little more tighter

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I personally love them but for very specific use cases that may not apply to you.

1. I needed a pair of "open" earbuds so I can hear if someone is calling my name at home and the office.

2. I like the fit of earpods. They stay in even at the gym.

3. I use them for work and chores around the house. I have my powerbeats3 for my commute and Sennheiser urbanite xl wireless for quality listening.

4. I have an Apple watch MacBook iPad iPhone. So switching between the three is fairly simple.

5. The charging case lasts all week.

If you're already into apples ecosystem and like earpods go for it. If not there are just as good if not better alternatives out there.

Best earbuds I have ever used by far and totally worth the cost for me.

Sound quality-wise, they're fine. I can't really tell the difference with earbuds most of the time. It's just how convenient and portable they are that makes them invaluable to me.

Yup. Same. I'm not an audiophile. I just wanna listen to podcasts, music, YouTube and they're really convenient.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
They're more comfortable than other ear phones that I've used. But I don't think their sound quality is anything special

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't justify the price when the sound quality is so mediocre, regardless of the convenience. Even most of the posters here gushing about them also say that the sound is only okay.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I personally love them but for very specific use cases that may not apply to you.

1. I needed a pair of "open" earbuds so I can hear if someone is calling my name at home and the office.

2. I like the fit of earpods. They stay in even at the gym.

3. I use them for work and chores around the house. I have my powerbeats3 for my commute and Sennheiser urbanite xl wireless for quality listening.

4. I have an Apple watch MacBook iPad iPhone. So switching between the three is fairly simple.

5. The charging case lasts all week.

If you're already into apples ecosystem and like earpods go for it. If not there are just as good if not better alternatives out there.

Yup. Same. I'm not an audiophile. I just wanna listen to podcasts, music, YouTube and they're really convenient.
This is me. I also love using it for Skype calls and regular phone calls.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Can't understand why no-one is talking about the fact that you cannot alter the volume easily.

I cycle a lot and had to return my AirPods as there is no good way to use them.
Personally, I think Siri works decently for volume control in most cases for me. I just request Siri to set volume to a certain % instead of volume up/down.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This product gets an F rating on fakespot.
F for Fake!
I honestly don't use Fakespot or the other review report sites like Reviewmeta. I've bought tons of products from Amazon that don't pass the Fakespot test and have had zero issues with a majority of them. I read every single review and research the hell out of whatever the product is on other sites and forums. End of the day, if you ain't happy with your purchase, return it for a refund. It's how the ecosystem works.

But that's me, I'm thorough. I realize not everyone has that kinda time and Fakespot is an okay stopgap so you don't have to do all the work yourself. By no means a replacement for being diligent, however.

I always laugh at this one which has an A:
https://www.fakespot.com/product/brain-coat-rf-shielding-for-your-mind
Brain Coat | RF Shielding for your Mind

Sorry to get off topic here, everyone. I'm sure you'll all get a laugh at the above item tho!

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
Personally, I think Siri works decently for volume control in most cases for me. I just request Siri to set volume to a certain % instead of volume up/down.

I know this may be an edge-case solution but since I have an Apple Watch as well, I have the Now Playing on my watch face and tap that and use the crown for volume control. Works well for me but a capacitive volume up/down slide along the edge of the AirPod would be the only product improvement to make this perfect.

To OP, I've had the AirPods for about 5 months now (fully expecting to return them after a week because of how goofy they looked) and now they are an inseparable part of my day to day. The convenience and the "it just works" parts are what's really makes them stand out. They never drop signal, misbehave or have weird issues.

I used to do the 3 item pocket check in the morning (wallet, keys, phone). Now it's a 4 item item check every time.

schwifty

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they're great, but I wish they were matte instead of glossy (dust and lint get attracted to the charging case and scratches show in the light).
My only criticism of them is how low the volume is sometimes.

toohectic

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Now Playing on my watch face and tap that and use the crown for volume control.
You can even turn the dial when the phone watch is sleeping. Such an easy way to adjust the volume. But for the most part, once you set your ideal volume level, this is primarily a set-and-forget type thing unless you run across a weird audio file/source.

Edit: replace phone with watch