• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
With Nintendo shutting down the Wii virtual console soon it really just hit me. If I ever delete a game that I bought on the Wii virtual console now....I will never be able to get it back. There is just literally no way to redownload it for free.

I also have a whole bunch of games digitally on my PS3. For some reason Sony did not allow us to transfer our digital purchases from PS3 to PS4. So I have about 10-15 digital games that are "stuck" on my PS3. What happens when my PS3 eventually breaks down in the future? I will have no way of playing those digital games I downloaded. So anything I bought will be lost forever.

You can say this about anything digitally. I buy most of my games physically but because of digital sales and cheap games, I of course can't resist just buying something off PSN sometimes like everyone. But with physical games you know you own them forever, there's no way for them to "evaporate into thin air" because you own it. If you system/console breaks down, you still own the games seperately, and you can just buy another console on ebay or whatever. The physical games you own never go away unless you physically lose them or they burn down in a house fire or something.

Digital games just seem like really long rentals for this reason. You own them, but only until the services go down, your console can't be repaired anymore, or licensed are revoked. There's nothing we can do about them.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not a DRM-free download for PC, yes.

IMO. But it definitely influences my willingness (or lack thereof) to buy the digital version of console games. Digital vs physical basically becomes a question of, "do I want to rent this, or own it?"

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
That's why we get DRM for PC, to sync with their scheme for planned obsolescence. PC users can fix almost everything, which is not good for their business.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

BobZhn

Nov 17, 2017
SE Asia
Physical games with online updates/patches makes them network dependent. The last complete games fully on disc was around the PS2 era, where there are no subsequent patches, unless a re-release (PS the BEST etc).

Everything is a service nowadays, if we're on a console, we are just renting the games until the logon service (XBO/PSN/NSO) goes down. Same goes for Steam on PC as well.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The fact that you're only realizing this now is half why we're in this mess.

The other half is most people just don't care if they lose decade old purchases, ultimately.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Why are those digital games stuck on your console? Just like you could buy a new PS3 to put your old discs in, you should be able to login to PSN and redownload all your old digital purchases.

I know that you've already experienced an online service shutting down with the Wii, but Nintendo is kind of known for being really bad at online stuff. As Sony and Microsoft continue to build up their online ecosystems and digital marketplaces as core parts of their platform I don't think they're just going to turn off their downloads for older consoles at some point in the future. Of course there isn't really a guarantee that that's the case but it's how I read industry trends.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, you can't take any of it with you anyway soooo.... idk, I think some of us reach a point in life where our perspectives change on accumulating "things".

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Which is why I'm still not completely sold on it, as convenient as it is. It just doesn't quite feel like I own a game when I buy it digitally.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I lost/broken more discs than I've lost digital games (so far).

what happens when you misplace your disk or it gets damaged and they dont sell them physically anymore?

How the hell are you people losing and breaking discs? Treat your stuff better.

Discs and carts don't last forever

A BD will last for a VERY long time if handled in a responsible way.

Oct 27, 2017
Life is a rental, man.

I don't worry because by the time a consoles network goes dark I won't even own them. Besides, most physical games are incomplete now anyways. All those patches and online features go too, leaving you with a neutered version of your game if you ever have to reinstall it. And that's if you haven't lost or broke the disk, which is not an issue at all for digital. I can't think of any digital games I've actually ever lost access to yet, but I don't even want to try to count how many physical games I've lost or broke or had stolen. A lot.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I lost all of my SNES games in a move. I'll never see them again.

If I lost my PS4 in a move I could have all of my games back as soon as I got a new system.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well MS seems to understand how to do this with Xbox, some of the first digital games I bought for the 360 probably 10 years or so ago are now playable and enhanced for free on the X. Witcher 2 showed up in my ready to install queue is now in 4K and my old save from 7 years ago was still useable from the cloud picked up right where I left off, just one story among many concerning my old Xbox games and BC. Same thing happened with Oblivion and Mirrors Edge

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing though, realistically I have way too much shit and I'm not going to go back to play them except if I'm hyped up for a re-release. One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately is how so much "wisdom" about preservation and ownership is just an excuse for hording mentalities. Perhaps impermanence is simply a more human state. Can't say I've ever really wanted to replay a game that I thought wasn't worth rebuying.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
You buy a new console/device, jailbreak/hack/whatever it and download isos/roms/whatever of the games you bought.

It's kind of a pain in the ass as far as processes go, but there's no need to play semantics at that point. You already supported the developer/publisher.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
If you delete the game, do you also delete the NPCs that existed in that moment, in that instance that you installed the game?

What if when we don't realize it, they are locked away in a frozen black space, feeling everything but not understanding.

Do deleted NPCs dream of installation?

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
I bought a 360 recently and was able to redownload my purchases to the beginning when I got my first 360 in 2007. Some work on the xb1 with BC.

If servers went down for these games at some point, your discs would be trash too without the huge day one updates or patches.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All games are long rentals if you don't look after them.

I guarantee I'll never lose my downloaded games.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people just don't care about shit they bought a decade ago. Or even 4 or 5 years ago. Physical or not. They enjoyed it for a while and moved on to other things.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This just hit me like literally a couple days ago... and i was making a full transition to digital. Problem is that not all games are available in physical form either.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Nothing in this life is forever OP, not even you.
Besides, what wrong with just using an emulator for those games that you are talking about? You already bought them, there is no shame in downloading an emulator and a ROM online to play the games that you've payed for. It's not like it's your fault that Nintendo isn't will to make an account system that keeps track of your purchases and lets you download your games on their latest console.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The possibility that publishers taking away my digital games is lower than my discs getting scrapped, broken or lost, so I don't really care.

Plus my consoles will die before servers are taken down. So at the end of the day I'll have to use emulator to run roms anyway.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Physical media can break/rot as well. Enjoy the time you have with things and move on.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I had to answer this philosophical question last year for myself - "What's better - Physical or Digital games, if you just want to make a one time purchase?"

The short answer is - Neither one is really a viable option, ultimately if you treat games as a collectible item.

I'll explain.

Physical Games - While physical games seem like a good idea as a physical property that you actually own, there are also a number of disadvantages, namely they're tied to the hardware you bought it for. I've had a number of hardware failures, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, PSP, Xbox 360 and Xbox. I'd imagine it cost at least $100 to repair if not more especially if parts are not readily available. Thus you may have to resort to rebuying used hardware and its not really feasible depending on where you might live. In Australia, its getting harder to find good old consoles, and certainly in Malaysia where I am now it would require an incredible premium. Would you pay $200 for a NES or $35 for a Raspberry Pi to emulate it? Of course there are going to be people where money is no object, in that case, buy whatever you want, but for others who go down the path of physical games, its possible your hardware could fail.

Digital Games - Digital games aren't foolproof either. On consoles as the OP says, they're long rentals and the console maker could shut down the network service anytime. On PC side, it gets little a trickier. While hardware could fail, you can always buy a new PC easily. The only problem is how long the x86 architecture is going to last. We know that CPU gains are starting to max out with their current architecture, is it possible there's something much more powerful in the future, that would render all the PC games on x86 obsolete? Sure if its much more powerful it could possibly emulate everything anyway, but the point is that nothing - physical or digital is really certain anymore.

The best thing to do is then - to buy what you can play now, and not to play something down the road, because there'll always be a way to play old games, and there'll always be new games to play.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
That' why I laugh when people say that digital is better than Physical, you're never really going to ''own'' something that's online, and is the reason why I only buy physical games, I never bought a digital game on my PS4 and i'm not planning to either, I buy some games digitally on pc because i have no choice but only if they're avalabile on gog, then I download them to an external hard drive so i can play them whenever i want

Oct 28, 2017
The better question is whether most or any of these games will be worth playing in the future. They're special now not because of what they are, but because of the experiences you have with them.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
That' why I laugh when people say that digital is better than Physical, you're never really going to ''own'' something that's online, and is the reason why I only buy physical games, I never bought a digital game on my PS4 and i'm not planning to either, I buy some games digitally on pc because i have no choice but only if they're avalabile on gog, then I download them to an external hard drive so i can play them whenever i want

Literally every game is patched day 1 these days so you're not really getting the final game on disc. At some point in time they'll turn off the servers and you'll be left with the unpatched game, especially if you have to change hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this when I saw my vita on my desk this morning. What happens if Sony stops supporting vita on the PSN store? I can't re-download my purchased games again? Yikes.

That said, we don't really have to worry about most games being lost to time, thanks to emulation.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't you just download them and have them forever? It's not like they need any online authentication to play