• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
The PS1, Gamecube, and 360 had tons of multi-disc games. The PS2 had some.

Then the PS3 came and had to ruin everything

But lately it seems like multi-disc games are coming back

RDR2 was 2 discs, Last of Us 2 is going to be 2 discs (right?), and Final Fantasy VII:R is going to be 2 discs.

Will multi-disc games be commonplace next gen?

hqdefault.jpg

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Physical discs. lol

With the amount of patches and extra content most games explode a single disc.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I think multi-disc games are going to be a tail-end of the gen thing moving forward, as games get bigger beyond the available physical media. We're seeing them now, and maybe 6 years from now we'll see them again.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Digital is already the most popular option on PS4/Xbox (and PC obviously).

So I doubt it

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Multi-disc games are happening because the current capacity for Blu-ray is 50GB and massive games like Red Dead and FFVII need more space. Of course, next gen will have UHD disc running at 100GB so it shouldn't be a problem.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Like sweet love, i prefer physical to digital, and i love disks.
Ihope the disk sizes will get a big bump for next gen (at least 100GB per disk, and most probably topping the 300GB/disk -if my memory serves well i think that's the biggest a BDXL was designed to get to-)
If we get a multi 300GB disks games, that will be insane if it's not filled with 4K movie-grade quality cutscenes.

As per my current download speeds and time i can leave my systems up and online at home, a week of download is necessary for 50/60GB games. So, yeah... 300/400GB games, i'd rather have a physical alternative... or a kiosk at games stores from which i can plug an SSD onto to transfer the digital content.

Oct 28, 2017
Next Gen games will be shipping on UHD which is capable of a maxed out 100GB per disc. I imagine file sizes to exceed that by some margin. Native 8K texture Ray slurping HDRX Dolby Apex Sound Buffer 12.1.

GTA 6 on 2 disc at least

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I cant even imagine going to my console to change games let alone a disc for the same game lol

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Where I am from multi discs games were more expensive than single disc games. Cause more dics meant bigger and better game lol

Ff7 was damn expensive.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
netflix killed DVDs, not blurays... I hope there is not a new disc format war, such a waste of plastic

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there's like 3 or 4 games coming out that will be multi disc, not 50

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
To install maybe, but let's not pretend it's like the old days of having to swap when everything just gets installed to hard drives.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
No. Discs cost money, the content to fill those discs even more money. Where possible publishers will opt for less discs, simple as.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
what are "discs"? i am 12

but seriously i think it'll be just one disc + download like 90% of the time going forward. i was one of the dumbasses who said no way 8th gen would be physical but this go around i think physical will mostly be patronage until "games" are but a rack of cards at Target

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
I find this hard to believe when so many games are $15 physically and their digital version is still $59.99 lol
That's very game and system dependent. I have not bought a single cart for my switch yet. (Thought to be far all I've bought since I got it this January is Smash Ultimate and various indies.), but I have not bought any big game yet because Nintendo and Sales don't mix. I think stuff like Fortnite, Indies in general, and Steam also push it towards digital.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
With the tech that's going into next-gen, I could see multi disc games making a return and being amazing. Imagine having 200 GB of game content (2 PS5 discs), but you'll only need to have around 50 GB installed at any given time, and you still get the full benefit of having that 200 GB on the discs. Or even more, maybe the full FF7 Remake will actually be on 3 discs like the original (at around year 2027, lol).

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
netflix killed DVDs, not blurays... I hope there is not a new disc format war, such a waste of plastic
Have you ever seen the blu ray sales number?

Blu Ray were never alive in the first place, at maximum they had 20% of the aging dvd market...

And I say that as a big home video aficionado. But I still find people who don't know what the fuck a blu ray is.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The disc is just a transferable license at this point, games will still require additional downloads to function as intended.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the PS5 supposed to have higher capacity Blu Rays? Blu Rays can store a lot these days.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Discs are useless, they don't even pack the full games now.

I buy digital, but last year I bought a Physical copy of Starlink for Switch because of the Arwing and couldn't leave the first planet without the day 1 patch, a few years in the future I won't be able to download that patch and the cartridge will be useless, same for any game on disc that requires patches.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't actually say FFVIIR will be two discs. They said it would be "equivalent to two discs worth of content".

Dec 25, 2018
physical games are a waste of plastic, wish there was a way to complete get rid of them. data on discs is finite, eventually systems won't be able to read them.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Everyone knows that more discs = better game.

I have literally seen this argument elsewhere here. That a game with small game size can not possibly be good