• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the PS5 supposed to have higher capacity Blu Rays? Blu Rays can store a lot these days.

Yes.

www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

PS5 will use 100-GB optical disks, inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.

Sure, 100 GB may sound like a lot now, but we've already got games that have blown past the 50 GB limit and are approaching that 100 GB. Having multi disc games is the perfect solution for that imo.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I'm confused, patches and DLC content aren't on the disc or anything and they aren't ever written to the disc. Not sure what you're trying to say.
It's pointless to gauge a game by its discs, since all the DLC and patches would make games bigger than a single disc anyway.

Also lol physical disks in the age of digital.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think Switch is a step in the right direction with their SD cards. MicroSD cards are up to 1TB now in capacity, though obviously not at a price that works for mass use for a console. But I wonder if 128GB cards can be cheap enough soon, if not already, to be a viable option. They would already be larger than the planned solution for ps5 and scarlet.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I hate discs more than ever. I want all digital but that Comcast data cap is staring at me off in the distance waiting to kill me next gen. Oh sure I can get unlimited for an extra $50 a month.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
For digital downloads, I just hope they implement the "non-4k" downloads option. If I don't have a 4K screen, don't make me waste my time downloading gigabytes of textures I won't use

ProLogY

Banned
May 19, 2018
I think no disc options will take over the universe. With GamePass and other like services as well as streaming we will be seeing even less physical releases over time.

Personally I haven't used a disc in my console for years. I hope next Gen systems come with discless options so users who are are digital can save a bit of money. I'm still disappointed that we got an Xbox SAD instead of an Xbox XAD.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Age of digital? Never!

Also, as games become bigger, and with the new ways next-gen games will handle game installs, those high capacity discs are going to be really sweet for big games.
If you are in the US with datacaps maybe... Everywhere else in the civilized world it really isn't a reason for them. Pre-Load trumps any day 1 install by far.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
It hasn't. People misinterpreted the comment they made to mean it was going to be two discs, but they've never outright said two discs. Just "equivalent to two blu-ray discs worth of content".

"Today Square Enix confirmed the first chapter of its massively anticipated Final Fantasy VII: Remake will ship on two discs when it launches in March 2020. "Remaking Final Fantasy VII has allowed us to dive much deeper into the world and its characters than ever before."

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I need that Flight Simulator Limited Edition 20,000 disc set.

I laughed out loud when they said that's how many discs it would take to ship the game physically.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
If you are in the US with datacaps maybe... Everywhere else in the civilized world it really isn't a reason for them. Pre-Load trumps any day 1 install by far.

Any install? Even ones that are ready to be played in a matter of minutes or even seconds?

We're already seeing some really fast disc installs on PS4. Based on everything we know, it will only get better on PS5. Even really big games like Spider-Man and RDR2 that take a longer install on PS4 could become basically instant plays on PS5. If you can get a 100 GB game without having to install it in one go, and you get to play it within an instant of inserting the disc, do you really think that having to prepare a preload complete with all the failings of digital would be in any way better?

Oct 30, 2017
No because you don't have to reach certain part of the game and then have to change the discs.

One disc is basically for data installation and the second one to rest inside the console and play the game.