• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
So what's the status of Joy-Cons nowadays? Are the newer ones finally free of the issues associated with the early days of Switch? I'm of course reffereing to problems with drifting and button presses not being registered at all or obviously lagging when playing in tv-mode.

Mostly I play with the Pro controller in tv-mode or simply handheld but this week I've been playing co-op in Unravel Two with my son and I'm having huge issues with my Joy-Cons. Jumping is often not registered at all or lagging and my left stick is drifting like crazy. It's extremely annoying. To the point that I am considering buying a new set of Joy-Cons.

Is thist the only solution for my weary launch Joy-Cons? Is this problem even completely gone in the newer Joy-Cons?

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a launch Switch, and then bought an extra pair of joycons middle of last year. Both have started drifting.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
they didn't fix them for the switch lite, so i doubt they've fixed the issue in regular cons.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
With the amount of Smash I've been playing, I'm just waiting for the day my joy-con drift.

It sucks too cause apparently the Pro controller, which I want to get, even has the drift issue. So no matter what I do, drift awaits me.

Deleted member 56457

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
The drift just became an issue for me after I would say 600 hours of use. I'm going to spend the $80 on a new pair this weekend but sheesh these things are pricey.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought new sticks and installed them. It wasn't too bad to do and it was less then 15 bucks on Amazon. Couldn't get myself to spend so much on new ones

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I bought new sticks and installed them. It wasn't too bad to do and it was less then 15 bucks on Amazon. Couldn't get myself to spend so much on new ones

How much of a difficulty bump would you say the right joy-con is after doing the left one?

I wanna do a shell swap that'll also familiarize myself with the joy-con replacement when the time comes, but the right joy-con looks quite intricate.

OP
OP
kizmah

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden

The thing is it's not just the sticks. Some button presses are not registering and once in a while my right Joy-Con completely disconnects. I was really hoping Nintendo had sorted this out but I see that's not the case.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
This is the worst worst worst thing about the switch. Unreliable joycons, the pro controller has a garbage dpad. It feels like Ntendo hardly cares, too

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Although the actual stick module has had some adjustments, they're still prone to drifting. Honestly think that the only reason to get rid of it is for them to actually redesign the insides or start using completely different materials.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
It's why i still haven't bought a second pair of joycons or the pro controller. Still stuck with the ones that came with the Switch, need a 4 players, waiting for a revised version that actually fixes it

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
In the US at least I was able to send my (slightly) drifting launch Grey joycons in and I got a replacement pair within a day or two of shipping out my pair.

Doesn't excuse them breaking and it being such a common occurance, but at least it was free. I have at least 3 Xbox 360 controllers that all have drift on the sticks and there was no way I could get them fixed.

Oct 27, 2017
How much of a difficulty bump would you say the right joy-con is after doing the left one?

I wanna do a shell swap that'll also familiarize myself with the joy-con replacement when the time comes, but the right joy-con looks quite intricate.
I replaced both and didn't find it that difficult to be honest. There are also guides that show pictures step by step so you know you are doing it right.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but I just use the Daemon X Machina ones in portable mode anyway.

Honestly super glad I decided to go with the regular switch instead of the lite. I'd never have been able to play Ring Fit, I have the freedom to switch out the lackluster joycons for something more comfortable, and I'd have to send it in or do some DIY when the sticks inevitably fail. Gonna be fun when we get reports of that from lite owners.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
No, it's a design flaw.

Still no issue with my Pro controller that I've had since 2017, so there's that at least.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
The cost of doing free repairs apparently is less than the cost of just fixing the design flaw, and the cost of bad PR. The latter of which they seem to have absolutely none somehow outside of internet forums