• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
For me it has been pretty frequently. It's usually people that say how progressive they are only to then shit the bed.

• Least misogynistic person you'll ever meet but then some MRA garbage comes out.
  • All for equality but affirmative action is the worst thing ever. Please hold on a sec while I go kiss up to faculty to try to get a good gig.
Not to say that eexpressing that is an automatic indicator. However, if I've only discussed these issues with you on three occasions and each time you have that canned intro then I'm going to go with yeah it's a cover to shield yourself from growth and critism.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why, but I already think that all those guys who self proclaim as "feminist ally" are actually creeps who are looking to score with some girl, at least I have seen so many cases of friends using that word only to be revealed as mysoginists and abusers that I lost the respect for the word.

The guy who are really allies normally don't brag about it, they just support feminism like women's do

Oct 25, 2017
People who go around calling themselves woke are just as honest as the people going around announcing that they're smart or other overly braggadocious types.
It's probably very untrue.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Don't know why, but I already think that all those guys who self proclaim as "feminist ally" are actually creeps who are looking to score with some girl, at least I have seen so many cases of friends using that word only to be revealed as mysoginists and abusers that I lost the respect for the word.

The guy who are really allies normally don't brag about it, they just support feminism like women's do
Right, but imagine if a woman is using the word to describe people on her side of things. Would you tell her that you've lost respect for that word? Thinking about these terms is more complicated, I think, than prescribing them black or white feelings regarding them. Don't let bad people control how the term is defined for you.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Right, but imagine if a woman is using the word to describe people on her side of things. Would you tell her that you've lost respect for that word? Thinking about these terms is more complicated, I think, than prescribing them black or white feelings regarding them. Don't let bad people control how the term is defined for you.

If it's a women describing someone I agree, but my example is when guys are very blatant about it. Obviously I know what the term "ally" should mean and how necessary they are in today's world, but my prejudice comes against men's who one day are full feminists and then start going to the other direction when things are not working out as expected/trying to cover the past. I know that is a dumb prejudice of mine, but alas, I can't help it really

DmNof65WwAAgb-5.jpg:large

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think ally is a term that should be used as an identifier of an individual or selfproclaimed. I feel the best context to use the word is as label for a set of ideals and actions. People who are allies shouldn't feel the need to let everyone else know they're an ally, it should be clear by what they do.

As for woke, I can't really take the word seriously outside of meme-y or comedic contexts.

Oct 27, 2017
I know right wing shittiness is terrible, but this trend of paranoia receding inwards is worrisome. I fear if political ground is not regained and action is not taken soon to remedy things needing remedying that the left is going to back itself further and further into a corner, fracture, and turn against itself.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't nothing wrong with being an ally.

And the only time I hear the word 'woke' is as part of a joke.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. Like if someone is going really out of their way to make sure you know they are cool then yeah sure that is suspect. But if like something just naturally comes up in conversation then I think that is another thing.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Weird thing that to describe yourself as something somehow makes others think you're not actually that.

Almawtaa

Oct 29, 2017
I think a lot of people touch on the core of the issue for me - a lot of the time it feels performative.

I don't even necessarily think it's people masquerading as 'woke allies' or whatever, I don't think they give it that much thought. I think some people see the praise we sometimes dole out to people, and want to be praised as well on like an instinctual level.

I don't think it's about good vs bad people, not really. Just a reflection of human nature that can be a little sad.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I knew this white cis hetero guy whom only ever dated teenage, fully "passable" white trans girls, all the while screaming to every trans person he knew what an "ally" he was. Turns out, he was just a self-serving, creepy poser whom wanted to get as close to the community as he could so he could fuck trans women. Yuck

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
If it's a women describing someone I agree, but my example is when guys are very blatant about it. Obviously I know what the term "ally" should mean and how necessary they are in today's world, but my prejudice comes against men's who one day are full feminists and then start going to the other direction when things are not working out as expected/trying to cover the past. I know that is a dumb prejudice of mine, but alas, I can't help it really

DmNof65WwAAgb-5.jpg:large

Oh yeah, this is my experience. Nothing wrong with someone describing someone else as an ally, but calling yourself an ally definitely makes me use a more critical lens when examining your behavior because of those types of creeps. Don't use woke, never have.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Proud that so many are so virtuous that they know better than to virtue signal and aren't afraid to tell the world about it.

Wait

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I'll know how "woke' you are/if you're an ally by your actions. if you feel the need to mention it then you're probably a shithead.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I've only seen woke being used as a joke from alt-righters, but I'm not American.

Personally I'm not a fan of the term, as I think it should be the norm and we should find ways to dehumanize the Nazi alt-right scum.