• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you like to see shorter linear single player experiences in AAA gaming more going forward?

• Yes

Votes: 635 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 164 20.5%

• Total voters

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I really loved AC Origins as well but I never completed it because it just demanded too much of my time.

I recently played Yakuza 0 and have put well over 50 hours into it but it hasn't felt like a slog at all, it doesn't feel like it demands your time, it just feels like a damn good focused experience.

And the thing is, you can just stick to the main story and be done in 15 hours but it's one of those games where you want to actually do the side quests, they don't feel like filler.
Oh yeah, I forgot the Yakuza games for some reason. Yeah, I played +80 hours of 0 and maybe about 40 of kiwami. For both the time just went in a blink, even if these games are massive. It's really all about focus, both in the storytelling and in the compact combat gameplay.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Oh yeah, I forgot the Yakuza games for some reason. Yeah, I played +80 hours of 0 and maybe about 40 of kiwami. For both the time just went in a blink, even if these games are massive. It's really all about focus, both in the storytelling and in the compact combat gameplay.

Yup same, the time seemed to fly by with Yakuza 0, honestly I didn't even notice how many hours I had been playing because like you say, it felt way more focused, it didn't feel like they were purposefully padding the game out, it all felt very natural and enjoyable to me.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
I have open world fatigue (and anxiety somewhat. Happened with RDR2. I chose to stop early due to input delay and poor HDR implementation but I know it's got one hell of an open world and incredible atmosphere). I skip a lot of games because of it. I braved it through KH3 since my fiance really loves the series.

I really enjoy 8-15 hour experiences that may goto 30 hours to 100%.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I answered no, because I'd rather these such games as AA titles with appropriate pricing.

A Day 1 triple A release is 80 CAD these days... and if you want a "season pass" that can put you over a hundred- I want my money's worth for something like that.

I'll pay 40-50 for a good story that's close to 20 hours though. That's the kind of niche AA should be targeting, imho.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I love big open-world games, but I don't have the time or the energy to invest 50-80 hours in every major game I want to play. I think that's part of why I love what Naughty Dog has been doing.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More linear single-player games? Definitely. In the AAA space? I don't know. I feel like the AA space has gotten pretty good at doing these and outside of the AAA publishers who still are making them (which is basically only first-parties), I'm not sure I'd trust the big publishers to really make them better than the AA space can. Sure, they'd be bigger with higher production values but they would also be safer, more generic and less interesting.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not all games are developed equally, so I feel this poll is a failure from the outset.

Something like DMC5 works for me because its immense combat depth and variety works wonders for replayability. But I'm not sure how interested would I be in a short and linear cover shooter, for example.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Era is the exact market for these types of games, so I'm taking the results with a grain of salt. As for myself, yes. That is absolutely my shit. A good story and lack of meaningful online interaction are two of my big check-boxes when looking for a game these days.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Not all games are developed equally, so I feel this poll is a failure from the outset.

Something like DMC5 works for me because its immense combat depth works wonders for replayability.

I understand that but I couldn't really think of another way to ask the question tbh.

I was just interested to know if people wanted shorter and more focused experiences in the AAA space rather than the larger 50+ hour open world experiences that tend to consume that space at the moment.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yes. My only caveat being that the mechanics/hook should be better as a result.

Nier:Automata is a shorter game but it executes on its design well.

DMC5 was a shorter game but it has great core gameplay.

I don't mind shorter games so long as they're not "flips" like Far Cry New Dawn was. I get that they did a lot to existing stuff for that game but it really should have been DLC.

If you're going to sell me a shorter experience for the same price make sure to trim the fat and don't try to nickel and dime me.

God of War 2018 was a pretty solid middle ground between exploration/padding and core story with gameplay. Not everything needs to last forever because not all games are telling a story that should last forever.

this is era so the poll is where i'd expect, but i want innovation in gameplay over anything. been gaming since the early 80s, don't need to play the same thing just for a story

Also this. I want more experimentation in gaming. AI and combat and moment to moment gameplay has grown less inspired at times. Games like Portal and the like that want to do something specific and focus on doing so have my dollars.

Especially with branching narrative design. Shorter/smaller scope = more possibilities I'd hope. I miss real morality systems and would like games that have meaningful choices in them.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'd say the AAA scene should be a mix of linear and open world, not all games should follow only one direction when you have so much freedom nowadays.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
No, I don't need an AAA for that. I really enjoyed Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, a linear narrative game, but it wouldn't have been better with a bigger budget.

For me, a short and linear narrative game doesn't need more than 15/20 as budget. For AAA, I prefer more liberty: open world games, choice with consequences, etc.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I would like both? Mostly I play open world games fairly linearly. I'll do side stuff if I want to and it interests me, but I can just as easily avoid it. I think thats a good balance.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a hot take on here but the only way im buying a single player only short linear campaign game is if its like 30 bucks or on some subscription pass.

I just don't think theres really a market for games like that anymore. Not when the best thing to do is to just rent them, beat them over 2-3 days, and return it.

I mean the last time I bought a linear single player game was probably bulletstorm, but only because the game impressed me a lot and I enjoyed the score attack mode. Even then, I beat it once, did some score attacks and never really gave it another thought.

So I can sympathize a little with devs/publishers not wanting to put in an AAA budget for a game most people don't find value in if its done in 12 hours. I think theres a niche population that would buy games like that, plenty of you here in the ERA bubble, but I think that experience is better suited for the indie sphere.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved AC Origins as well but I never completed it because it just demanded too much of my time.

I recently played Yakuza 0 and have put well over 50 hours into it but it hasn't felt like a slog at all, it doesn't feel like it demands your time, it just feels like a damn good focused experience.

And the thing is, you can just stick to the main story and be done in 15 hours but it's one of those games where you want to actually do the side quests, they don't feel like filler.

This is my point.

A game can feel relevant and engaging for a long time. I put over 100 hours into Yakuza 0 and it never even tired me out. This is a rarity for me as even many sub 20 hour AAA experiences felt like a slog after 10 hours.

I don't care about the length. I care about the overall quality of the experience and the relevance and the level of engagement of optional content. The truth is, most AAA experiences fail to feel relevant past the opening hours of the game. Their beauty is superficial. I don't want more Uncharteds or Halos in today's landscape. These experiences feel shallow and simply not worth my time. Their beauty is skin deep.

When a game like Yakuza can keep me engaged for so long, there's little value in a pretty, yet shallow title that keeps me engaged for less than 10 hours.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to vote yes but you only seem to be talking about narrative focused games. I'd want more linear games in terms of gameplay progression.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. If you can give a very satisfying 12ish experience, then give me that instead of padding it out into a mixed 30-hour experience.

I'd rather have one complete experience and move on instead of being fed breadcrumbs of content over months in some GaaS thing.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's a lot more appealing than games with artificially endless content that they want you to play to extend your time with a game than would otherwise be needed.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Always, but hopefully we see a return of AA games rather than AAA games because we're more likely to see them there if they aren't exclusives. There's too much money invested into most non-Japanese AAA games nowadays, hence why we see Activision and EA forcing live services into everything.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Tentative yes. But I don't want something as linear as Bioshock Infinite or FXIII.

This.

I'm fine with linear games so long as we don't fall into the trap of shit like FF13 and the glut of "The Game Plays Itself" overscripted on-railsness that plagued 7th Gen - Shit like that is the very reason the "Gamers don't like linearity anymore" consensus and Open-World oversaturation became a thing.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Was this question really needed? I think that the forum opinion on this matter is pretty clear, some people here go so far that sometimes it seems that multiplayer/openworld are bad words.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I need more games like Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Far Cry: New Dawn and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Extremely well-crafted shorter experiences made largely with recycled assets at a discounted price. I'm surprised games like them aren't more common.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and I'd pay full price for the superior experience.
The value of the product cannot be measured in the number of hours.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
technically no, but recent history says you are wrong (for the most part)
Yeah could be, my mind went more on indie and other smaller budget games when thinking about it. But OP does specify AAA, those definitely rely more on spectacle and presentation than innovation.
I need more games like Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Far Cry: New Dawn and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Extremely well-crafted shorter experiences made largely with recycled assets at a discounted price. I'm surprised games like them aren't more common.
Yeah I wouldn't mind this at all either. Also Hearts of Stone expansion for Witcher 3 was extraordinary, too bad it requires the main game too even if you can play the expansion without finishing the main game (or even starting it). Hearts of Stone in itself is rather linear even if set in a open world.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Was this question really needed? I think that the forum opinion on that matter is pretty clear, some people here go so far that sometimes it seems that multiplayer is a bad word.

To be honest I haven't been posting here that long and I wasn't aware the forum loved these kind of games that much, I am pleasantly surprised.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
Linear, sure. Shorter, hell no.

A game that's 6-10 hours doesn't occupy the same amount of headspace as a 20 hour game for me if done correctly. Granted pacing is a very nuanced thing but there aren't too many games that I feel really hit the mark, for me, that I finish in one or two sittings. I'd rather have a game overstay it's welcome than leave me too soon. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I miss campaign focused games like Gears,Halo etc.

Titanfall 2 campaign was such a joy to play,reminded me of games of the past

Doesn't necessarily have to be shooter though. I liked the past God of War game's structure for example

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I'm not particularly keen on Open World, but I'm not really after Short and Linear either. I want Big and Branching, really.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Third parties aren't going to release 10-15 hour single player AAA titles anymore.

The exception will be IP with many years of established market success, such as Resident Evil and Devil May Cry from Capcom.

Not saying I like it, but it's the truth.

Fortunately, we'll still see some mid-tier (AA) single player productions from some of the smaller third parties and the platform holders will continue to invest in more linear single player experiences for the foreseeable future.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Very much no. I like good stories, but I wouldn't find a 15 hour game to be worth buying except in a deep, deep sale.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I don't want to see another Max Payne 3. That game had good gameplay but it didn't let you play because it tried to cram a cutscene at you at every turn possible. I don't think you can find a sequence where you can play 5 minutes without entering a cutscene in the entire game. Interestingly I don't mind that in Yakuza at all but that's probably because it's not interrupting the gameplay just to show you going through a door but to start a side quest etc.

Likewise I don't want to see games that are extremely linear like some Call of Duty single players. I think RE2 Remake is the direction to go where you have room to explore but the areas are not massive like in open world but not just linear pipes either. Uncharted Lost Legacy did this well too with its more open areas and GoW at least was good in its hub area.

Shorter games are fine. I don't have time to put 100s of hours in anything but my absolute favorites. Less but more engaging content is the way to go and that only comes from having good gameplay mechanics instead of littering the same mission types around the map for collectathons.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
If a game is 15 hours I'm not going to spend $60 on it.

And that's fine, if I'm interested I'm willing to wait for sales and price drops.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
so the open world fad is going way like the FPS craze last gen? I'd love to see a resurgence of old types of games that have been lost in the modern hellscape of dwindling pubs variety in the traditional space

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes. RE2 Remake reminded me how much I miss focused AAA experiences that aren't padded to hell and back.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That would be fine by me. I like occasionally getting invested in a longer game (20-40 hours tops, usually), but tend to prefer shorter, 8-12 hour experiences. I like playing a variety of games, but struggle to find the time or energy to do it anymore due to burnout.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep.

Pricing wasn't mentioned in OP and I don't think it really even matters. Game discounts tend to occur quickly and often enough that waiting doesn't seem to have a massive penalty, even in the most severe of FOMO mindset, when it comes to relatively easy-breezy, well-presented single-player games. And yeah, I don't think I'm necessarily asking for corridors or anything, but lighter time commitment toward a full experience is a-okay to me if we're talking about triple-A production values.

Last edited:

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Absolutely . I rarely finish these big open world games no matter how much I enjoy them because the time investment is sometimes too much

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I care more about having finite experiences. A definitive beginning, middle and end.

This for me as well. I want my games to end, not to be some long running service scheme. And if they're worth it I might revisit them down the line, at about the same time I'll have forgotten all the games with bloated checklist objectives/grinding/loot/levels/crafting that seem to be everywhere these days.

I'll pay extra to have content (bloat) and service elements removed from my games, to make my games end again.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I rarely get to see even half the games I pay for these days. The massive open worlds such as the (wonderful) AC Oddyssey take too much time to complete - at least for me with my busy family life.

So more games like Hellblade - with a story I'll actually get to see the end of - would be welcome. As long as they are priced to match.

I found the Uncharted spinoff great fun and I actually completed it (and to be honest thought it was better than the regular Uncharted games).

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I'd happily take an Uncharted: The Lost Legacy style game every year. If there wasn't such a negative outlook on the reuse of mechanics and assets among gamers as well as an obsession over game length from some then it'd probably be extremely viable for studios to make smaller games more regularly too. Sad that the audience seemingly isn't quite large enough to support that from AAA studios.