• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys, there is a big difference between low resolution drawings and pixel art. Pixel art is done, well, pixel by pixel, but a lot of examples in this thread are basically subsampled drawings. Almost all pc games were just low resolution, not really made with a grid of pixels in mind, like new games were. That MegaMan game clearly was made with drawing tools similar to paint, not really pixel art.

Besides, some of the games looks to high resolution to be even called pixel art, specially these fighting games.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Tons of the OG Pokemon sprites are preeeeeeeetty rough.
mewrevamp.png
Mew looks like a newborn baby rat, lol

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, there is a big difference between low resolution drawings and pixel art. Pixel art is done, well, pixel by pixel, but a lot of examples in this thread are basically subsampled drawings. Almost all pc games were just low resolution, not really made with a grid of pixels in mind, like new games were. That MegaMan game clearly was made with drawing tools similar to paint, not really pixel art.

Besides, some of the games looks to high resolution to be even called pixel art, specially these fighting games.

Which, specifically, do you think aren't done pixel-by-pixel? Very few things in this thread look like cleaned-up scans to me, and I've never, ever heard anybody claim that games like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue aren't pixel art. And why would they?

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. fucking hell. So opinions are classed as hot takes when they conflict with your own on resetera? Carry on then lads, as you were.
To be fair not liking an art style is not the same as being bad art/pixel art. I hate the Yoshi's Island style that they used, so much so that I probably only played it for 30 minutes and I loved SMW. I wouldn't call it bad pixel art, because it is not, it's just a different art style that I didn't like in the least bit. This thread is about bad pixel art, not art styles that you hated.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
This one in particular has been bothering me for years: Bowser's sprite from Mario & Luigi - Superstar Saga

Cackletta3.PNG

The game in general has charming and overall good sprite art ....but damn.... LOOK AT BOWSER!
He looks so freaking awful! He's so pudgy, and barely stands above the Mario brothers!

I'm not insinuating that the game in its entirety has bad art, but this one sprite is such a huge eyesore to me.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've always thought that Bart Vs Space Mutants had a bad and really sloppy pixel art, even for those days standards and on both, NES and Genesis:

hqdefault.jpg

Last Action Hero is also very sloppy:

77405-last-action-hero-snes-screenshot-jack-slater-s-big-showdown.gif

LMAO at people saying Yoshi's Island has bad pixel art.......people just want to have a hot take aren't they ? :rolleyes:

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't think they're bad, but pixel art with characters that have super long single pixel thick limbs is unappealing to me.
For example stuff like Crawl's hero character I dislike, but I love the creature art
test16c.gif

The skinny leg flat crotch style of pixel art absolutely needs to be done away with.

western 8 and 16-bit games the thread

Yea, pretty much. Its easier to list western games from the era that had appealing art than the other way around. I can think of Might and Magic (Mainstream and Heroes... Clouds of Xeen has some of the best monster art ive ever seen) and.... uh...

e: Oh! Space Quest 3 is one of the best looking games Ive ever seen and that includes modern games.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

You just gave me the craziest rush of nostalgia ever. I literally forgot this game existed, probably haven't thought about it in 20 years, but as soon as I saw the screenshot it all came back!

Hahaha, same. I loved MicroMan.

Holy crap, add me to the list of people who haven't thought of this game in 20 years but remembered it as soon as you posted it. I played this on some old Shareware CD that my brother bought at the mall, it was full of dozens of games and this one stuck out in my memory for some reason. Radical