• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I love being able to create my own characters in games. But I really suck at making faces. Doesn't matter if it's GTA, RDR, Fallout, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, MHW, Outer Worlds, hell, the WWE games, I genuinely don't know how to make characters look the way I want them to.

I don't know how to proportionate features: when I want certain features to stand out, I overdo it or the rest doesn't match. I don't know how to get lips and jaws right, or line up eyes properly (too narrow normally). And makeup just goes very badly.

This applies male, female, and non-binary characters.

I would really like to learn how to get better at this; I have a vivid imagination of what I want my characters to look like, but the execution never comes close. Are there any tutorials out there for create a character in general? Namely for games that allow you to full customize faces?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I love being able to create my own characters in games. But I really suck at making faces. Doesn't matter if it's GTA, RDR, Fallout, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, MHW, Outer Worlds, hell, the WWE games, I genuinely don't know how to make characters look the way I want them to.

I don't know how to proportionate features: when I want certain features to stand out, I overdo it or the rest doesn't match. I don't know how to get lips and jaws right, or line up eyes properly (too narrow normally). And makeup just goes very badly.

This applies male, female, and non-binary characters.

I would really like to learn how to get better at this; I have a vivid imagination of what I want my characters to look like, but the execution never comes close. Are there any tutorials out there for create a character in general? Namely for games that allow you to full customize faces?
What games mainly? As if it's a bethesda game you'd honestly want to mod the games so you can actually do the looks you want and not some half assed version because most of the time those games have horrid options without mods.

It mainly just takes trial and error to do, but I'd also recommend to do the nose, then turn the characters face diagonal. Then do that with each part.

OP
OP
Double 0

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
What games mainly? As if it's a bethesda game you'd honestly want to mod the games so you can actually do the looks you want and not some half assed version because most of the time those games have horrid options without mods.

It mainly just takes trial and error to do, but I'd also recommend to do the nose, then turn the characters face diagonal. Then do that with each part.

The last three I really noticed it on were:

GTA Online
RDR Online
and The Outer Worlds

But it's been a long running problem for me. including Bethesda games.

OP
OP
Double 0

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Outer worlds just takes some time to get used to, but GTAO, and RDRO is almost hot garbage at even a real character. I do not understand why they made such a shitty character creator.

Very true on GTAO and RDRO, but even beyond that, I just really can't get a feel for character creation.

Maybe trial and error will do the trick. Really putting the time in.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe reading a book on anatomy for artists would help you. You can find Andrew Loomis' books for free if you google around.