• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Are Pulp novels even a thing anymore? And the time window is quite narrow.

The closest to Pulp Novels we have right now are Webnovels.
Just check out Royalroad, Webnovel, or Fictionspress.

If you want a more professional curation, check out Baen Books, it is more in line with Pulp Novels than anything else (big) out there. They have the quite successful Honor Harrington series (Space Opera, female protag) and a bunch of other Military, SciFi, and especially Historic fiction, maybe something from early 20th century is there.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
I only really read Honor Harrington from Baen Books.
Weber's chuddery is nothing compared to their other authors, he's too busy writing big torpedo numbers to get into white supremacy.

Please enjoy the following:

How David Weber orders a pizza - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board

The telephone rang. Jason Wilkins roused himself out of his dough-and-flour-addled stupor, and gazed at the ringing noise emanating from the receiver. He was tall, even for an American, this despite his father’s very a…

Don't forget to scroll down for a sequel!

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
So anyway OP, nothing for your time period, but there are some good airport fiction authors out there who aren't obsessed with bombing the arabs and the libs.

Andy McDermott is pretty cool and not a chud and writes books about an archaeologist and her SAS bodyguard finding sites out of myth, foiling the schemes of evil billionaires, idly noticing totally sweet vehicles a few chapters before they end up driving them dangerously fast while shooting and blowing things up, your usual thriller stuff.

I feel like the earlier suggestion of web serials/web novels may be worth looking into, but you may also run into very weird problematic shit even beyond the writing quality. It is a land of contrasts. But some stuff's great fun, especially if you like fantasy and don't mind... slight RPG elements. Numbers gotta go up like a Honorverse fleet's torpedo throwweight.

Beyond the Dragoneye Moons and A Journey of Black and Red may be worth looking into - fantasy (with rpg levelling) healer joining the wandering but official bands of troubleshooters helping the people, and an american vampire (without rpg elements, whew) making her way through history with a fondness for guns, respectively.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
So anyway OP, nothing for your time period, but there are some good airport fiction authors out there who aren't obsessed with bombing the arabs and the libs.

Andy McDermott is pretty cool and not a chud and writes books about an archaeologist and her SAS bodyguard finding sites out of myth, foiling the schemes of evil billionaires, idly noticing totally sweet vehicles a few chapters before they end up driving them dangerously fast while shooting and blowing things up, your usual thriller stuff.

I feel like the earlier suggestion of web serials/web novels may be worth looking into, but you may also run into very weird problematic shit even beyond the writing quality. It is a land of contrasts. But some stuff's great fun, especially if you like fantasy and don't mind... slight RPG elements. Numbers gotta go up like a Honorverse fleet's torpedo throwweight.

Beyond the Dragoneye Moons and A Journey of Black and Red may be worth looking into - fantasy (with rpg levelling) healer joining the wandering but official bands of troubleshooters helping the people, and an american vampire (without rpg elements, whew) making her way through history with a fondness for guns, respectively.

I can second A Journey of Black and Red

My other favorite Webnovesl are:
- Mother of Learning (the all-time GOAT)
- Azarinth Healer (Female Protag)
- Worm (Female Protag, has very strong anti-bullying and fight against racist themes)
- Caelum Lex (Female Protag Space Opera Anti-Slavery story)
- Wandering Inn (Female Protag)
- Saga of Tuck (Transgender)

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018

- Worm (Female Protag, has very strong anti-bullying and fight against racist themes)
Wandering Inn is super-long. One of my favourites and good at making you like characters you couldn't stand at first. Be warned that it's heading steadily towards its eight millionth word and the author hasn't slowed down, although it does appear to have an ending planned unlike some works. God only knows what she'll do after it ends. Bird is incredible.

Katalepsis is a brilliant story about modern occult lesbians in a quiet british town. It's well-written and cool and occasionally dorky as heck.

I haven't thought about Tuck for years, which IIRC was how long ago it last updated.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Wandering Inn is super-long. One of my favourites and good at making you like characters you couldn't stand at first. Be warned that it's heading steadily towards its eight millionth word and the author hasn't slowed down, although it does appear to have an ending planned unlike some works. God only knows what she'll do after it ends. Bird is incredible.

Katalepsis is a brilliant story about modern occult lesbians in a quiet british town. It's well-written and cool and occasionally dorky as heck.

I haven't thought about Tuck for years, which IIRC was how long ago it last updated.

Yeah, it's a shame that Tuck isn't updated anymore :/
I have started Katalepsis but am only at 2.8 right now.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
OP said not racist.

They do publish some non-chuds, but I'd definitely avoid their publications without strong and specific "this person isn't awful" recommendations.
This game me a real good laugh. I tried rereading some of the old Baen books i collected when I was in high school and college, and the subtext of 'em all fucking sucked. Also the writing was dreadful. Just some shite scifi novels all around.

OP
OP

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

Precisely the type I am looking for. I read one Clive Cussler book which was OK, but turned a bit too high tech. And another novel by James Rollins - The Demon Crown - about a prehistoric wasp pandemic with an ex-military dude and his ninja girlfriend, but that was definitely somewhat racist,
the villain was a japanese samurai type who hated the west
. My go to is still the random Jack Reacher book I guess. I realized there may be a gap in adventure novels with modern sensibilities, but set in that adventure era.

This is purely for a vacation read, I will check out your recommendations.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
SgQOIMN.jpg

Hard Case Crime

"Hard Case Crime brings you the best in hardboiled crime fiction, ranging from lost noir masterpieces to new novels by today's most powerful writers, featuring stunning original cover art in the grand pulp style."

Stephen King has published 3 books under this publisher (Colorado Kid, Joyland, Later) and they've all been fantastic.