• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Essentially the title. Do you guys know of any places?

As for stuff I know:

Metacouncil has the best discussion by far but is pretty focused on PC, NeoGAF is mostly a hellhole and not as comprehensive, don't like 4chan's culture, reddit's disscusion format isn't as interactive as I'd like due to the sub-thread structure, not keen on GameFAQs' forums last I checked, haven't looked much into theBore but it doesn't look as active and registration is currently disabled anyway, and I don't like social networks (defenition: content you see is a fucntion of friends/follows) like Twitter.

Other places I used to go to are either offline or effectively dead.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
GameSpot? Probably not, but I remember it being pretty discussion heavy back in the day. Had a lot of other problems too, but I liked it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the first place you reference has like 700 users total and looks to have like 1 or 2 replies per thread, this seems a bit sus.
Yep, it's small which is part of the reason it doesn't qualify for me, but the threads with lots of replies have some pretty good discussion, imo. Unsure what you mean by this thread being suspicious honestly. I just listed the places I knew of and one reason for each why they weren't what I'm looking for.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
No lie, when GAF died I was really in disarray for all things videogames for a few days. I searched for forums, I made custom feeds of various sites, nothing could compete. Thank goodness for resetera.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends if you're talking about Forums only, or places such as dedicated Discord or Slack?

I'm curious about this, what do you mean?
On traditional forums with chronological ordering if you reply to a reply to a post everyone who is in the thread at the time sees it and so can decide to reply to it whereas on Reddit by default only people who go down a particular sub-thread can see it and so decide whether to reply. Not a problem on small subreddits but on large ones like the general gaming one it can be.

Yeah I am on a few discords but I think I prefer forums for discussion. Discord works really well for multiplayer gaming and organising.

Last edited:

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Resetera is excellent for everything else currently except when the discourse gets focussed on platforms. The people fight for their platform of choice.

I'd like the opportunity for discourse around the future of these platforms without a large number of participants just projecting their personal desires as facts.

Could you imagine talking about chart numbers in terms of their genre impact instead of their platform impact?

Or criticising a platform holders strategy without being called a shill for their opposition?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Were still the best considering the unfortunate effects of social media drag down discourse everywhere.

Metacouncil is could be awesome (and its good to discuss consoles!) but i stopped going because theres one guy who spams the shit out of it constantly. Only a megathread or two can float enough to get past a page of replies. Every page is half or more trailer threads with 0 to 5 replies. Nobody there seems to mind but it's unusable for me.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Reddit, but there aren't any good popular gaming reddits for discussion except maybe r/games. Otherwise you generally have to find the appropriate subreddit for a community niche/game.
GameSpot? Probably not, but I remember it being pretty discussion heavy back in the day. Had a lot of other problems too, but I liked it.
GameSpot is really bad these days. It's mostly comprised of elitists, trolls, and console wars.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
IGN's forums were pretty fun and we'll moderated back in the day. No idea what the culture is like there anymore

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
reddit's disscusion format isn't as interactive as I'd like due to the sub-thread structur
I use https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/ specifically for two reasons:
Upvote/downvote format is good for fact checking. I like correcting several posts early and having the corrections bubble to the top of the replies.
The fact that you nearly always reply to someone else's post can lead to conversations/argumentative debates between 2 people. So I'd argue you are always interacting if you use the replies.

This makes me feels like I have to post to be heard and bring new relevant informations/correction/argumentation, rather than just throw some worthless opinion to the waves to be lost in the masses and never be read like on forums when there is a lot of traffic.

The kind of subjects that get highlighted there is a bit random but it's mostly news (after all it's a links aggregator, nothing long-term).
But recently r/games seems more lenient on non-news-related text-only discussion threads (aka "self-posts" that are a bit more similar to a random forum thread).

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The German forum World of Players used to be great. But administration got lazy in selecting proper people for moderation so moderation had gotten more and more biased and inconsistent over time. Ultimately many users left. Some five years ago and prior it as was amazing, though. Great board.

As of right now I can't think of anything else right now. But then again I don't want to spend so much time on message boards so I'm quite out of date. Just from what ocassionally pops up at google searches, some GameFAQ posts, Steam, Reddit etc. it seems horrible. Reddit might be the best of the worst and the voting system does has it advantages for quick glances and in search of solution and pragmatic orientated problems, it's rarely a real discussion and many subreddits seem biased.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. Most of the boards were like that in the early 00s too. The best discussions I had were on game specific boards, but even then it usually devolved.

Unions were the best part of GS forums back in the day.

Some good times until they were neglected and then eventually killed off.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This thread seems to be an invitation for meta commentary and cross-community drama as such it is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.