• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It just seems logical, phones are good at reading barcodes and can run games well, no need to buy any clunky barcode reading LCD-screen toys. Has anyone brought the idea of the barcode reader game back? And is it any good?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
We're talking about like games at Japanese department stores? Ones where you spend 100 Yen coins to play and print out cards as loot drops or monsters that you collect to use and keep steady progress? Because if we are, I would die and go to heaven if I could play Dragon Quest Victory Road on my phone in English instead of only in Japan, I had a ton of fun with it.

Most players keep a digital library of their cards through the barcodes anyway, so it would be cutting out the middleman, with the obvious loss of cool cards to print out and keep. I would be down to have These type of games show up on phones, honestly.

If you mean like those Megaman Battle Network toys, that would also be rad, to have an inventory of cards and barcodes and stuff for these consolidated onto the phone, while still being able to collect and use physical items. I would also be down for those.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
We're talking about like games at Japanese department stores? Ones where you spend 100 Yen coins to play and print out cards as loot drops or monsters that you collect to use and keep steady progress? Because if we are, I would die and go to heaven if I could play Dragon Quest Victory Road on my phone in English instead of only in Japan, I had a ton of fun with it.

Most players keep a digital library of their cards through the barcodes anyway, so it would be cutting out the middleman, with the obvious loss of cool cards to print out and keep. I would be down to have These type of games show up on phones, honestly.

19071805131.JPG

i think he's referring to these though i could be wrong.

similar concept though.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Huh... I figured there'd be games like Monster Rancher (which I assume is what this kind of is) but googling didn't show me anything. I guess in the modern age it's difficult to create unique methods of obtaining monsters since people would just upload everything online...

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Probably not the exact thing OP was looking for, but it reminds me heavily of this as a kid.

YwGKxw6.jpg

There is a reader on top that allows you to scan barcodes. Was basically scanning every barcode I could find when I was a kid, fun times.