• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
First up, here's the card:

NIS-Midsummer-Greeting_08-04-20-600x1067.jpg

And here's the story from Gematsu that gives you an idea of how NIS typically uses these to tease their upcoming titles:
Nippon Ichi Software teases new titles with its mid-summer greeting card every year. For example, in summer 2018, it teased the announcement of Destiny Connect: Tick-Tock Travelers; summer 2017, Closed Nightmare; in summer 2016, The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2; in summer 2015, Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk; and in summer 2014, Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance. The summer 2019 greeting card was for the already announced Labyrinth of Galleria: Coven of Dusk.

We've known Disgaea 6 has been in development since at least 2018, per this Gameinformer interview:
Niikawa confirmed that NIS is hard at work on the next entry. "Yes, it's been in the works from the preparatory stages from a while back"

And we also know that NIS wants to be among the first companies to release a PS5 game:
"Specifically, [we're targeting] the PlayStation 4, Switch, and Steam. That's the general strategy going forward. There's a lot of talk of PlayStation 5 right now, and I personally don't know when it's going to come out, but I know as a company we definitely want to be on there very early – one of the first companies to put something out on it. This goes back to earlier in the conversation, but again, just going forward [our goal is] making Disgaea 6 up to the level that everyone is expecting.

So, back to the thread title... Are these the protagonists of Disgaea 6? When does that game get announced? During a State of Play, TGS, or in Famitsu or Dengeki Online randomly?

Blow me up if old dood.

EDIT: 99.9% it's Disgaea 6...
Okay yeah, it's basically 100% Disgaea 6, per the Prinny0 blog that posted about the postcard in the first place. If you look at the tree in the background and flip it 180 degrees, it's a 6:

The Disgaea 5 postcard tease did the exact same thing with a hidden 5.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Don't like it. The core cast of 4/5 generally skewed older which was a welcome change.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Not excited about the young age, but then again maybe it's a Laharl situation with a coming of age story.

All but guaranteed
OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Okay yeah, it's basically 100% Disgaea 6, per the Prinny0 blog that posted about the postcard in the first place. If you look at the tree in the background and flip it 180 degrees, it's a 6:

The Disgaea 5 postcard tease did the exact same thing with a hidden 5.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
This seems highly likely. I will be in day 1 and then never finish the game like every single other disgaea game I have bought.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Cool that they are making a new one.

But they seriously need to make Disgaea 3 and D2 accessible since both are stuck on PS3 (3 on Vita too but still).

So far 1 is on both PS4/PC, 2 is on PC, 4 is on PS4/will be on PC, and 5 is on PS4/PC/SW.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Don't like those designs at all, especially the female character. Just from looking at her you can already tell she's going to be extremely, extremely annoying, which is fairly common for NIS secondary lead characters.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will make it with 3D models or keep the sprite work.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they will make it with 3D models or keep the sprite work.
Yeah... I assume they'll still do the sprites, but what seems like a billion years ago now (I think it was actually 2017), they ran a large poll about resurrecting franchises, Disgaea 6, and if fans would be interested in a 3D entry. Iunno if they ever released the results to that.
Now when you say finish, do you mean just beating the story campaign, or going all the way and beating Baal.

The story campaigns tend to be moderately long enough that you should be able to finish them.

Baal though...

95FA445A43F416726E0046C9E1CF526B8AC29719

Yeah, this guy adds 100 hours playtime alone just to beat him.
Yeah, the campaigns are typically like an extended tutorial, and afterwards is where the 'real' Disgaea starts :P

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This seems highly likely. I will be in day 1 and then never finish the game like every single other disgaea game I have bought.

Now when you say finish, do you mean just beating the story campaign, or going all the way and beating Baal.

The story campaigns tend to be moderately long enough that you should be able to finish them.

Baal though...

ReddishGUI

Oct 25, 2017
I bought every single game in the franchise and I have yet to play one for more than 10 hours.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't believe 5 is 5 years old, I still need to get around to it

Picked up the collection on PS3 and loved 4 and D2, but to this day they're the only ones I've played

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Baal though...

I've only beaten Disgaea 1. I enjoy the games but for some reason I never actually finish them.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California

I was a huge fan of the first three games, playing them a ridiculous amount on their original console and then again when ported to PSP/Vita. However, for whatever reason, 4 and 5 didn't grab me, despite multiple attempts to play through them. I wonder if it's because I had kids between 3 and 4 and less time/patience for grinding or something.

My point is, I'll probably buy 6 like an idiot and will never finish it, either.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Me when this isn't in the State of Play on Thursday, and every event henceforth:

ezgif-1244566619.gif

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Disgaea 6 finally!

If it happens to be shortly after PS5 launch, then this game will make me buy the PS5 earlier than expected.

If the game happens to be released on Steam, well then, no PS5 until later on.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
A new disgaea to beat the campaign and promise to conquer the post game then get bored halfway through the massive grind

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Pleasedon'tfetishthe6yeargirlPleasedon'tfetishthe6yeargirlPleasedon'tfetishthe6yeargirl

gotta agree that these designs looks the youngest the series ever had for MCs

MonadoTsukai

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
JRPG developers really dropping the ball in terms of protagonist designs recently :/ First the terrible SMT5-hero, now this. I hope D6 is banned from Resetera discussion if it turns out this girl is being sexualized. :/

Is it that hard to create older jrpg protagonists? Like, 20+? :/

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Bizarre last few posts...none of the characters in this series have been fetishized or sexualized, outside of a few jokes in the D1 series about flat chests and stuff. Also, the last 2 games had characters over 20 (even though I don't know how a character being of a certain age makes a game better)...

This looks like a brother and sister lead cast, which looks similar to how Desco and Fuka were handled in 4.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Probably not. The game will probably release in 2021 and if you live in the west it will come later in the year.
Dream destroyed...
Nope

Disgaea 4 for sure but not 6 - at least not this year.

Honestly..rather get a surprise shadow drop of 3 or D2.
I'd take more disgaea for sure!
JRPG developers really dropping the ball in terms of protagonist designs recently :/ First the terrible SMT5-hero, now this. I hope D6 is banned from Resetera discussion if it turns out this girl is being sexualized. :/

Is it that hard to create older jrpg protagonists? Like, 20+? :/
while we will need to wait and see, you should know generally speaking disgeae doesn't really do a lot of sexual stuff.
it has a few juveniles jokes like saying a female demon/angel is a child because they have small breast (despite being like 20). It also has very little romances, rarely goes beyond a few oneside crush.

Note that i haven't played them all nor complete the stories so maybe some are different but my experience with disagaea 4 and 5 is that they heavily side step those usual sexualization/fetish of lolis like other tactics games (looking at you fire emblem).

Obviously i'm talking in terms of story/character interaction. Art style wise does show a lot of skin (usually for both sexes, for example 2 of the main chars in disgaea 5 barely use upper body clothing) so maybe there it can be problematic.

My point is that disgaea usually doesn't go full relationship with lolis like many other JRPG games. At least the titles i ahev played

MonadoTsukai

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Dream destroyed...

I'd take more disgaea for sure!

while we will need to wait and see, you should know generally speaking disgeae doesn't really do a lot of sexual stuff.
it has a few juveniles jokes like saying a female demon/angel is a child because they have small breast (despite being like 20). It also has very little romances, rarely goes beyond a few oneside crush.

Note that i haven't played them all nor complete the stories so maybe some are different but my experience with disagaea 4 and 5 is that they heavily side step those usual sexualization/fetish of lolis like other tactics games (looking at you fire emblem).

Obviously i'm talking in terms of story/character interaction. Art style wise does show a lot of skin (usually for both sexes, for example 2 of the main chars in disgaea 5 barely use upper body clothing) so maybe there it can be problematic.

My point is that disgaea usually doesn't go full relationship with lolis like many other JRPG games. At least the titles i ahev played

Yeah, I was mostly talking about design, where D5 was superbad really. If D6 sexualizes such a young-looking girl, it's time to take a stand imo.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh....I really am ready for a new Disgaea, but if those are the charactes, I....kinda hope not?

Not a fan of either main character design at all, they seem younger than Laharl and co. did, and while I like Laharl's antics, I appreciated D2, 4, and 5's more 'mature' protagonists a lot more.

If those are the MCs, this might be the first Disgaea I go full generics for. (Speaking of, I really hope there's a good variety of generics in the base-game, as it's all but inevitable we'll be nickel-and-dimed with a hefty-costed DLC pass for the other generic tiers, and a few uniques from past games)

The zombie pug looks cute, at least.

Otherwise...I wonder what systems they'll add on or switch up. If they copy a lot of systems the way D3->D4 did, or change up a lot of things.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
If you are subscribed to the NISA Store newsletter, you probably just got this in the email like I did:
mail.png

Last edited: