• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on the big Leftist Youtube Cinematic Universe crossover with Natalie/Lindsay Ellis/Folding Ideas/Shaun/etc

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I was just rewatching some of her old videos last night ("Why is no one talking about the mouth feel?") hoping she might have something new soon. She's just getting better and better.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Gotta split this into two chunks, but I went into it not thinking I'd like it and no, it seems up my ally. Humor is great, and the argument is too.

I recently started watching more of these kinds of videos on youtube--mostly to pass the time--but I'm glad I found them. People are smarter than me, and it's nice to kinda absorb that.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
unknownypkr8.png

my biggest takeaway of this one

(like, i actually really liked this segment of the video because i could associate a little more with it than the rest, not just the title card)

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was really good. Made all the points I would have made, and many I hadn't thought of. I agree with pretty much all of it.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Awesome video! She's amazing, intelligent, and funny. One of the few times I heard someone using circular logic correctly.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've never heard trap used in this context.
Can I go in blind and watch this? Or are there some articles where I can more information before diving in?

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I need to finally watch her videos; I've heard nothing but good things but the video titles initially had me scared off.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
These videos have a creepy vibe idk what it is. Like a Hulu original scary movie

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to watch her videos. They're always on subjects I know I should be better informed on--and subjects where I'm sure that I agree with her--but they're always subjects that are one half step more serious / sensitive than I feel like I have the hardiness to follow for an extended video. I feel like so much of my energy toward that regard is sucked up by other subjects (Trump and all of his debacles).

One of these days, I promise!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to watch her videos. They're always on subjects I know I should be better informed on--and subjects where I'm sure that I agree with her--but they're always subjects that are one half step more serious / sensitive than I feel like I have the hardiness to follow for an extended video. I feel like so much of my energy toward that regard is sucked up by other subjects (Trump and all of his debacles).

One of these days, I promise!
If it helps, there are certainly moments of brevity and humor even though she gives the subject 100% the seriousness it deserves.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of hijacking the google search "Are Traps Gay?" is really clever and if you search that on google her video comes up first. She is so thoughtful about actually trying to maximize who she may able to reach and move or at least interrupt in some way someone's instafeed of altright BS.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will try to watch it later, but I'm not sure if I can.
Currently I have to avoid anything with a TW for transphobia (or suicide for that matter).

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I will try to watch it later, but I'm not sure if I can.
Currently I have to avoid anything with a TW for transphobia (or suicide for that matter).

It might be best to avoid it then. While I wouldn't say the subject gets nearly as bad as her incel one, there are some pretty harsh realities shared near the beginning. Overall it wasn't a very depressing video as much as an informative one, but yeah, definitely not a super light topic.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
So... I rewatched the entire thing all over again. It's my favorite ContraPoints video to date.

So witty, yet genuine. So rigorous and meticulously reasoned. It's exactly the right approach to take for a creator who wants to maximize her potential audience for a deep dive into polarizing subject matter--the kind of topic that's going to have the instant Pavlovian effect of yanking the tripwire for people's defensive reflexes.

I am deeply envious of Natalie's ability to construct and present robust, persuasive arguments about hot-button issues with such flair.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Edit: NVM gave it some thought and I misinterpreted something.

The idea of hijacking the google search "Are Traps Gay?" is really clever and if you search that on google her video comes up first. She is so thoughtful about actually trying to maximize who she may able to reach and move or at least interrupt in some way someone's instafeed of altright BS.
This is definitely a stroke of genius on her part.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I initially posted this as a comment on the video but decided I probably should delete it as it isn't really Contra's job to worry about fringe cases such as myself, especially given from previous vids she seems to not quite grasp the idea of presentation not necessarily having to match gender identity... and I guess that's okay, she has enough to worry about, and I seem to be the only person troubled by it. But maybe someone can help me out here, or tell me if I should put it back up:
If I've learned anything from these ContraPoints vids, it's that your feelings of wanting to be more feminine (or androgynous)/not wanting to portray masculine traits yet not feeling like you're a woman either and not wanting to take hormones or go through any operations to remove your penis/get a vagina are perfectly valid and should be accepted as one form of gender identity/expression. How you get where you want to be is really a journey you just have to take yourself. What it entails only you can figure out (though maybe with the help of some kind of professionals, especially if you feel that strongly frustrated about how you currently are vs. how you want to be).

And I'd have to watch the video again keeping your point in mind, but I don't think she ever says that a feminine man with a feminine penis can't exist? She does talk about the feminine penis mostly in the context of trans women like herself, but I don't think she ever rejects any other alternatives outright. She even lays it on pretty thick about how there are no black & whites or even gray areas here, but it's a whole fucking rainbow.

And even though she often focuses on trans women, I don't think she ever says anything too rigid about presentation vs. gender identity. She just often argues from her perspective, how she herself has to deal with these things as a trans woman and focuses on that because that's what she's most equipped to talk about since she can speak from her own experience, but she doesn't outright reject other non-binary gender identities & expressions at all (and does often bring them up as well). Sometimes she has perhaps neglected to mention them (clearly enough) but oftentimes she has then brought that up in a later video or elsewhere that even though she didn't mention some other cases, she doesn't think that those do not exist or that those are any less valid to the cases/examples she is describing in her videos.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Good video, especially in its argument to get straight guys to be more comfortable with their sexualities. So many rules, with a weirder one being that many straight men consider it unmanly to go down on a woman. I think she could have explored a little more the resistance some straight men have toward anything that can be considered submissive or surrendering to another person's desires. But perhaps that is a topic for another time.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
This was my first Contra Points video I'm ashamed to say, good lord I've been missing out. I'm such a Lindasy Ellis fanboy too, so it's doubly weird I never came across her videos. Got lots of videos to watch now tho!

Vid itself was amazing she's so.... #iconic omg her presentation just won me over I can't help but gush XD

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Good video, especially in its argument to get straight guys to be more comfortable with their sexualities. So many rules, with a weirder one being that many straight men consider it unmanly to go down on a woman. I think she could have explored a little more the resistance some straight men have toward anything that can be considered submissive or surrendering to another person's desires. But perhaps that is a topic for another time.

I'd appreciate this one but I feel that'd be low on her priority list.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was a really interesting and entertaining video, will have to check out more of her stuff. I really liked how she didn't lean into the kind of hard black and white orthodoxy that you see some people present these issues as, and instead presented the issue with all its various shades of grey. It's a really fascinating topic and I think it represents the cutting edge of the west's sexual imagination at the moment. It's many things, but it's not quite cut and dry.