• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Note : This thread is not about having sympathy for Trump suppporters.

I'm sure you know at least one person that went really too far, or maybe you did once.

At that point, some people will realize they are in the wrong, leaving them with 2 options ;

1) Apologize, admit they were wrong, deal with the consequences, and move on.
2) Double down.

Point 2 is easier for most people. Because to take the first option is to face humiliation, consequences, and to admit to yourself you were wrong (pretty hard thing to do for any human being).

The feeling I have right now, is that there must be some Trump supporters that are starting to feel really conflicted, but that shit went so far that they prefer to double down no matter what. Even if they feel inside that something is wrong, to admit they were wrong all this time would be losing the herd, where you feel right and secure, to expose yourself to people who hate Trump with a passion (with good reasons), and don't want to take you back.

What is the best course of action with these people who are thinking about option 1? Should we open the door or forever keep them away? What is the best option for the future of the US and the world?

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Trump voters drank the Kool Aid so hard they lost a hold on reality, it's too late for them

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
All efforts should be put into pulling in more non-voters that have been marginalized by either the destructive policies of the GOP or the "sorry can't help you, go back to school" policies of the Dems.

Dec 12, 2017
They have convinced themselves they are on the right side of history so no, they aren't boxed into a corner.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
people like that are happy to be wrong forever and keep on fighting and are pretty much immune to embarrassment or shame. they will infinity down.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
They will double down forever until they 1) die of old age 2) we get Hitler 2.0. There's no going back.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
They'll double down and then shit themselves.
one and done.

trump supporters are only in a corner because trump is in a corner. He could call them morons and rapists and they'd agree with him. They are unreasonable and unthinking.

they won't stop supporting trump until after he is out of office, and even then they'll reflect on him as "he made some mistakes but mostly was great for the country and just shit on by the dems and leftist media"

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
They will never EVER admit they were wrong. Trump could barge down their door, start shooting every member of their family, and they'd still sit there with a shit eating grin.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Three scenarios:
1. They don't want to admit they were wrong. Too stubborn.
2. They actually still believe Trump, and are lost causes.
3. They agree with a few of Trump's initiatives, and therefore turn a blind eye to the rest.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
They will never stop doubling down, because they think they're right, because they believe all the bullshit the spewed from the GOP and that orange fuck's mouth. "The border is in crisis" they say, you show them stats that illegal border crossings are down something like 75% from 2001, and they'll just choose to not believe it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Do you know any Trump Supporters IRL, OP? They are loving this.

Remember, the GOP has fostered an anti government mindset for decades. They don't care about the shutdown. They love what Trump is doing. They are also onboard with his platform and key initiatives.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are a cult. They will double down until this country crumbles around them. Their entire worldview has zero basis in reality.

Oct 31, 2017
There is no reasoning with them. They are incapable of self-reflection and critical thinking and most of them are most likely close to functionally illiterate in the sense that they have terrible reading comprehension. On top of all of that, they are cultists and its incredibly challenging to deprogram cult psychology.

As others have said, they are only going to continue to burrow, suffer extreme punishment and snap to, or die. Violence/maliciousness/pain is the only language they understand.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the point where I pretty much openly call out anyone who's still on the Trump bandwagon a sexist/racist. Watching them double down or stick with him usually ends up justifying my belief.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Doubling down is a choice. Anyone can choose to break out of the cycle at any time. Whether they are "in a corner they can't get out of" is completely irrelevant. They're bad people.

Trump created a cult by openly appealing to xenophobia, racism, and misogyny. He powerfully activated the degenerate parts of America in which people are still steeped in those things. One must understand that these people see Trump and/or Trump-like attitudes as their only salvation from a world which they hate for having rejected them and their culture, their beliefs.

I don't know what percentage of Trump supporters will stay this way, but you can be sure that many of them will live the rest of their lives praising Trump and blaming everyone else alive for not having gotten whatever they imagine is "MAGA".

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. To go back is certain doom socially and pollitically so they have to move forward, get more radical and hope the system breaks or the opposition relents. There is nothing we can do to stop it either unless it's a moral compromise. They will never be fully stopped or controlled (literally every society in history has tried), we just hope they keep out of suicide bomber levels of crazy.

Oct 30, 2017
I'd say the more interesting case study is the traditional Bush or Romney style Republican.

They know Trump is full of shit. A sleaze. Non-presidential. Divisive. But they still act as party loyalists. Get one of these people in front of anti-Trumpers and they will get defensive. Because Trump is their guy. Not their first choice. But their guy.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I know we hear about the loud ones a lot, but many are quiet. They can change sides without anyone knowing, so your first point is really a non issue for them.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
They are cultists. Think of them as scientologists. They don't see or acknowledge anything that would put their cult in a bad light. They are on a mission.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my friends and family voted Trump.

They think he's doing a good job. I mean, how good of a grip on reality can you really have to vote for him in the first place?

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I still don't even know how this happened. These people go on and on about hating "rich coastal elites who are out of touch with the rest of America" yet they... worship a rich coastal elite who is out of touch with average America. The guy is a rich businessman who immediately prior to running for president was a television star. Makes no sense.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Three scenarios:
1. They don't want to admit they were wrong. Too stubborn.
2. They actually still believe Trump, and are lost causes.
3. They agree with a few of Trump's initiatives, and therefore turn a blind eye to the rest.

This is pretty much it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I still don't even know how this happened. These people go on and on about hating "rich coastal elites who are out of touch with the rest of America" yet they... worship a rich coastal elite who is out of touch with average America. The guy is a rich businessman who immediately prior to running for president was a television star. Makes no sense.
They're racist

They don't care how bad it gets as long as it's worse for minorities.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
They don't actually care about any specific issues, just that their "team" wins. This is why they say they want small government, but are cool with an enormous military budget and a system listening in on every phone call you make. They act offended when Obama saluted a soldier with a coffee cup in his hand, but then don't care when Trump publically insults the famlies of decorated/dead hero soldiers. If they're told to care about something that is the exact opposite of what they were previously told to care about, they will. Hence the cult comparisons in this thread.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Where are these Trump supporters that have started to feel conflicted, OP? It just sounds like you're projecting humanity into them. They're all in with Trump.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't even just Trump supporters. The far right have always been like this for everything. They aren't conflicted. They couldn't give a shit less. Sure some of the people on the fence may have backed down mentally off trump but look at how they treat every democratic president, or anyone that isn't an old white man in office. They double down. They absolutely refuse to be wrong. There's no way to convince them otherwise unless something directly affects them, and even then it's the "damn libs" fault for anything that happens. They want conflict and to think they are right 24/7. I've dealt with people like this since I was young, one of my best friends parents would literally blame everything on the liberals. They lived in poverty, had insane healthcare bills, but still blamed the liberals for it even if it was a republican in office.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
They'd have to recognize a corner for them to be in a corner. Delusion keeps them out of a corner because they're always winning in their mind.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Their disappearance from these forums speaks volumes. Like with W., I expect after Trump is gone no-one is going to admit to voting for him.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering option 1 is available, it sounds like they're only in a corner if they choose to stubbornly be. But hey, it's not our fault that they're considered idiots. We tried warning them plenty of times before just flat out calling them idiots