• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If they haven't given up support for him now, I can't imagine they ever really will.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
People who voted for this criminal grifter who is destroying America's standing in the world should be required to petition some committee to be allowed to vote again in the future.

The cult seems to have this view of him that's totally at odds with reality. Trump has spent his entire life lying, cheating, stealing, and doing nothing for anybody other than himself, including lying about giving to veterans charities, stealing from kids with cancer, and so on, yet still they support him because they think he's looking out for them! Even after his unfunded tax cuts to benefit himself and his cronies, and him filling the swamp! It makes no sense. And if they don't have a hold on reality, they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Their disappearance from these forums speaks volumes. Like with W., I expect after Trump is gone no-one is going to admit to voting for him.

The usual suspects, for the most part, seemed to stay at the other place. Most understand this is a left-leaning forum.

Or rather, a forum that doesn't support a literal white supremacist as president. Fuck this left/right stuff. This is wrong and right.

Leviathon007

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, my father told me he "doesn't believe statistics and facts" when I was trying to explain why a wall was useless. He simply cannot believe/admit that he is on the wrong side of anything.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they believed they were in a corner, they wouldn't want to get out of it. Trump and the rhetoric that surrounded him didn't create these types of people, it just emboldened them.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Note : This thread is not about having sympathy for Trump suppporters.

I'm sure you know at least one person that went really too far, or maybe you did once.

At that point, some people will realize they are in the wrong, leaving them with 2 options ;

1) Apologize, admit they were wrong, deal with the consequences, and move on.
2) Double down.

Point 2 is easier for most people. Because to take the first option is to face humiliation, consequences, and to admit to yourself you were wrong (pretty hard thing to do for any human being).

The feeling I have right now, is that there must be some Trump supporters that are starting to feel really conflicted, but that shit went so far that they prefer to double down no matter what. Even if they feel inside that something is wrong, to admit they were wrong all this time would be losing the herd, where you feel right and secure, to expose yourself to people who hate Trump with a passion (with good reasons), and don't want to take you back.

What is the best course of action with these people who are thinking about option 1? Should we open the door or forever keep them away? What is the best option for the future of the US and the world?

I really hope so. I'm kinda hoping I saw signs of that in my step mom this last visit. I'm hoping if she's cornered she may eventually be forced to admit it. Right now she hates looking at the news and finds it too depressing and usually will deflect to either fake news or "I don't want to talk about it."

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP, the other place is full of Trump supporters, altright and gamergaters. They are quite happy with current developments.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think the amount of people that fall into option one are in the minority. Far to many of them are ultimately too full of hate to turn back now.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Trump will lie about one thing, then contradict himself with a new lie in the next few minutes. His supporters will just follow his new lie like that was always his stance.

Some are aware, but most of his base are fools.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they will move the corner as much as they can to fit their own agenda, you cant reason with them

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
I'm going to assume the OP (and most posters ITT) don't actually know GOP voters/supporters IRL.

The ones I know are happy that DJT is "standing his ground" on the govt shutdown. They want this fight.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Most people who voted for him are incapable of admitting they were wrong. It's not the type of people who want to grow as a person or as a community.
They probably all had a shitty childhood with shitty parents in a shitty inhumane religion. All they know is fear and hate.

I'm overreacting. I hope.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Option 3) Say as little as possible, imply they were never a true supporter if challenged, admit nothing

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
No because they attribute all their faults and failings on the Other. They are incapable of self reflection

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't actually care about any specific issues, just that their "team" wins. This is why they say they want small government, but are cool with an enormous military budget and a system listening in on every phone call you make. They act offended when Obama saluted a soldier with a coffee cup in his hand, but then don't care when Trump publically insults the famlies of decorated/dead hero soldiers. If they're told to care about something that is the exact opposite of what they were previously told to care about, they will. Hence the cult comparisons in this thread.

This is the truth and why I roll my eyes when some pseudo-intellectual moderate comes along blabbing about tribalism on both sides. Ask a Trump supporter what they support and you will get the same regurgitated rhetoric that is airing on Fox News or being yelled out by pundits on the radio. They literally support nothing but Trump and Fox News and their own hatred.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The closest I've seen from contrition from my in-laws who weren't exactly Trump supporters but are definitely GOP voters and I'm sure one or possibly both voted for him, is, "He should stay off Twitter." It's like they are acknowledging that he constantly says stupid shit, without actually admitting it out loud. If the subject of him ever comes up in conversation they don't exactly defend him either, instead they instantly jump to whataboutisms of Obama/Hillary, which typically aren't even true of course. I think they realize their error, but aren't ready to openly admit to it.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. I just know the fact there are idiots who think they can crowdfunding the wall and that double make them more idiots.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They have convinced themselves they are on the right side of history so no, they aren't boxed into a corner.
>

Dan Scavino Jr. @Scavino45

After this evenings Presidential Address, we joined our great POTUS for a photo. We are all on the right side of history! #FACT

dwcnqskxgaajowxgpe6y.jpg

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
anyone who still supports trump is deep enough down the conservative media rabbit hole that they don't actually see anything wrong

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
Alot of Trump supporters are gung ho, tough, proud Americans. These same idiots will never admit that they were wrong. They have too much pride to ever admit that they got conned or duped. Doubling down is the only other option.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a just a cult.

His supporters dont really fit in with a changing world so they've banded together under his lies and they like that feeling of pushing back agaijst any kind of progress.

It's safer in the cult than in the real world.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing this with my own parents. Deep down I know they realize things are broken, they now know I've got a real threat of being furloughed, but with help from the Murdochs, they're convincing themselves that everyone else is wrong.

I know not all the folks who voted for Trump are malicious , but we gotta beat these folks by any means necessary, or it's our necks.

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
Don't expect the GOP to get pinned to him beyond a couple of years after he's out of office. They got through Nixon, they got through W., and they will get through Trump relatively unscathed. It doesn't even require acknowledgement of wrongdoing on their part either. Centrist morons in the media plus the conservative propaganda circuit will be working overtime to repair the GOP's image (if it's even necessary).

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It is a tragic for me to think people would find it easier to support Trump than admit they were wrong. I feel like that's symptomatic of a seriously troubling personality problem. I am more inclined to believe most people who support Trump in 2019 do it because they really, really want to. They aren't doubling down because they feel trapped. They're doubling down because he says what they feel and that's the America they want.

I believe that there is a path to forgiveness for all people. It should not be hard to be humble and apologize for something you have done or believed. It's never too late to buck a status quo that is damaging to yourself and others but the longer you wait the more you will need to make up for. Perhaps, if you wait too long, you never can. But there is decency in trying.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I've mentioned this before but I still can't get Republicans that I know to admit that Bush was a mistake so good luck ever getting one to admit their true feelings about Trump. I'm not sure if they're ever even honest with themselves.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This is what they want, remember the article where the lady said "he is hurting the wrong people"? That was a fleeting moment of honesty

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
No because they attribute all their faults and failings on the Other. They are incapable of self reflection
Cultists are scary, pathetic people.

These two quotes, I think, do a good job in demonstrating that there's more than one kind of Trump voter our there.

Prideful, spiteful, egotistical people that 'need' to be right, and fight tooth and nail mentally so that they can view themselves as just that.

Cultists that just drink up whatever he says, likely because it makes them feel good. I've heard call-ins from people on various news shows (NPR mostly) that tow his line, think Democrats are evil, and it doesn't matter what anyone else says, Trump is right, the immigrants are out to get us, etc.

There are others though. I'm confident that there are enough of them that had the wool pulled over their eyes thanks to the propaganda bazooka that got fired at them for years about Hillary Clinton, and are in an economic fix because their way of life needed to change. They were just the right prey for the alt-right, but that doesn't mean that they can't change. Even a cultist can change, and I hold out hope that enough will do just that.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't even know how this happened. These people go on and on about hating "rich coastal elites who are out of touch with the rest of America" yet they... worship a rich coastal elite who is out of touch with average America. The guy is a rich businessman who immediately prior to running for president was a television star. Makes no sense.
It's because they all made up a fictional version of Trump that's nothing like the actual person but who instead like their idealized father/brother/buddy/boss/coach/whoever. They usually don't even know many basic details about Trump himself, they just invent them and then think it's real. And they don't want to hear it's not.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Won't supporters simply just agree with what he is doing? IE: He says too many illegals here getting welfare and committing crimes so the wall is essential etc or that they believe him when he says he treats women great? Simply put people buy what he is selling.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
This is what they want, remember the article where the lady said "he is hurting the wrong people"? That was a fleeting moment of honesty

ding ding ding. They want anyone who isn't a part of the cult to suffer, and they're succeeding. The only way we can get out of this alive is to remove power from their hands and make sure they can never get it back ever again.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
They will never admit they're wrong and will keep doubling down. It feels like politics turned into a sports team situation which is pathetic.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Trump supporters or republicans? Because this is more than the die hard Trump supporters and all republicans are to blame...

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Trump supporters have no shame so no. They will double down and believe some BS conspiracy to feel that they are right.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The MAGA crowd loves this. They voted for the troll chaos candidate and chaos is what we have. Not backing down, triggering libs and erasing Obama's legacy is far more important than data, policy and repercussions, even if they're the ones affected.

Your everyday bootstrap Republican will have no trouble convincing themselves Trump wasn't that bad either with distance, even if they have regrets. The mean Democrats and fake news forced his hand, if Fox News keeps saying it it must be true, these crimes didn't happen or aren't important, at least it's not Hillary. The GOP propaganda machine has their audience primed to move on once it's time without self-reflection required.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Trump supporters or republicans? Because this is more than the die hard Trump supporters and all republicans are to blame...

Die hard Trump supporters, passive Trump supporters, on the fence. It doesn't matter. If they're a Republican and haven't called their rep to end this foolishness over a wall that will never be built than they are part of the problem.