• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I remember when this place first opened, we could put names and faces to moderators and could see interactions. If a user or post had a red warning, we could see which mod made the decision. I thought this transparency in the community was really good, especially since other places' that had trigger-happy policies tend to hide behind one single "Bot" account or ban people behind the scenes.

I'm just wondering if/when this changed. Transparency is good for this style/format of an online community.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember when this place first opened, we could put names and faces to moderators and could see interactions. If a user or post had a red warning, we could see which mod made the decision. I thought this transparency in the community was really good, especially since other places' that had trigger-happy policies tend to hide behind one single "Bot" account or ban people behind the scenes.

I'm just wondering if/when this changed. Transparency is good for this style/format of an online community.
Could simply be that it was a feature of the old system and isn't with this one.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a name for my most recent warning too.

Goddamn you Brazil, I'll see you in hell!

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time the mod will make a specific post addressing the warning/ban

It's pretty self-evident why people get warnings/bans most of the time anyway so other than compiling an list of grievances against mods who punish posters you like, what's the point

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw someone get a warning for swearing a while ago, thought that was odd.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the time the mod will make a specific post addressing the warning/ban

It's pretty self-evident why people get warnings/bans most of the time anyway so other than compiling an list of grievances against mods who punish posters you like, what's the point

Transparency? Pretty sure that was one of the major gripes about the forum-that-shall-not-be-named. Being transparent most of the time isn't transparency.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why this is necessary. You could PM a mod if you require more information on a warning. I also feel that the mod represents RestERA and it's a team decision so it shouldn't matter who it is issuing the warning really.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Transparency? Pretty sure that was one of the major gripes about the forum-that-shall-not-be-named. Being transparent most of the time isn't transparency.

I think that'll just lead to people building up grudges against certain mods/admins. Being able to see why people are warned/banned is much better transparency than gaf. There are things that can be worked on, but I think that's fine.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess. Personally I don't care which mod banned/warned somebody

I don't think mods who are actively participating in a heated discussion should be moderating in that thread. I'm not even aware if that's a policy or not. This would be one way to stay transparent on this, if it's actually a policy.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone get a warning for swearing a while ago, thought that was odd.

language2_zpsu76ro3ha.gif

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think mods who are actively participating in a heated discussion should be moderating in that thread. I'm not even aware if that's a policy or not. This would be one way to stay transparent on this, if it's actually a policy.

Why? If anything it would make more sense that someone with a better sense of what's going on in the thread and context for what's been said moderates than someone previously uninvolved.

OP
OP
Dynamite Cop

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I guess. Personally I don't care which mod banned/warned somebody
In my opinion, I think it helps build trust between users and the people who hold power. Let's use an example where a community's moderators all hid behind a "ModBot" and use that account to ban or silence people that they disagree with. I think that causes distrust within a community and in that community's case, an exodus.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
To answer your question, there has been no change and warned posts were never "tied" to specific moderators. Moderation is done as a team. If you have any questions or comments about our moderation we encourage you to reach out to our Mod Team Captains Selina and Rowlf.

Status
Not open for further replies.