• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Now that a lot of games are running at 60 this is probably the most annoying issue I have left playing on console compared to PC. From early reports Far Cry 6 runs very well on SX/PS5 but from the footage I've seen the FoV is ridiculously low and not adjustable. Deathloop's wasn't good either (though not as bad) and again didn't have a slider. Days Gone got a fantastic next gen upgrade for PS5 but still didn't include one (when the PC port had it) which is baffling to me when the field of view looks like it's running at 50 when you're on foot. BF6 beta has one, does Halo Infinite?

This wouldn't be a big issue if a lot of games didn't have the default setting way too low to begin. For me I usually need 75 as the bare minimum and ideally 90-100. Anything below 70 just starts to feel claustrophobic and almost like you're looking at the world through a tunne. Open world games especially suffer when it's too low because it completely kills the sense of scale. Death Stranding just introduced a widescreen mode with the PS5 version which dramatically increases the horizontal front of view and actually provided a massive improvement to the scale and atmosphere of the world.

I get that for certain games it's lower for artistic reasons (eg. God of War 2018, horror games to make them scarier) but I was hoping with the increased power we would start to see the option to adjust it more often. Still early days so I guess there's still time for it to become more common.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Good to hear the Infinite has one since I remember the Halo games always having low field of view.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Same thing as 60fps as a standard - there'll be outliers, but it's going to be a lot more common than last gen. I'm now disappointed when this isn't an option, rather than being pleasantly surprised when it is, and it's telling.

Dec 2, 2020
Console games go through ridiculous optimisation where they squeeze out every frame possible. I can't see fov sliders being a thing on console unfortunately especially once next gen only aaa games start using UE5, Lumen etc and they inevitably go back down to 30fps.

I imagine certain mp titles will have it but not the likes of Ubisoft games like Farcry and Assassin's Creed.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
I tried the FOV slider in battlefield 1 (or one of the newer battlefields, can't quite remember) once and didn't like the "fisheye lens" distortion it introduces. It doesn't seem natural to me whatsoever. Everything in the center of the screen becomes squished and small. Why anyone would want to distort the image like that is beyond me.

Maybe it's just me but I didn't like it at all so I leave it at default value and fair pretty well against my fellow console brethren. I'm sure if enough people request it, it may become an option.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking looks that way doesn't it. What a real downer. However seeing Halo Infinite have an FOV slider made my day.

Toej

Aug 2, 2021
Farcry 6 is ok until you get on a horse ....... Then it's the worst FOV I've ever seen.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I tried the FOV slider in battlefield 1 (or one of the newer battlefields, can't quite remember) once and didn't like the "fisheye lens" distortion it introduces. It doesn't seem natural to me whatsoever. Everything in the center of the screen becomes squished and small. Why anyone would want to distort the image like that is beyond me.

Maybe it's just me but I didn't like it at all so I leave it at default value and fair pretty well against my fellow console brethren. I'm sure if enough people request it, it may become an option.

That happens when you turn it up too high (typically above 100) but it depends on the game. Normally the sweet spot for me is 90-100.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

That happens when the FOV is set too high for your viewing distance/display size.
The larger the display is in your vision, the higher the FOV needs to be set to look okay.
If you have a small display or sit very far from it, high FOVs are going to look bad.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
That happens when the FOV is set too high for your viewing distance/display size.
The larger the display is in your vision, the higher the FOV needs to be set to look okay.
If you have a small display or sit very far from it, high FOVs are going to look bad.

I see, I have a 65" LG OLED that I game on. I sit about 8-9 feet from it. What would you set the slider to based on those measurements?

I would ultimately like to avoid the fish-eye distortion. It was a bit nauseating when I last used it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I see, I have a 65" LG OLED that I game on. I sit about 8-9 feet from it. What would you set the slider to based on those measurements?

I would ultimately like to avoid the fish-eye distortion. It was a bit nauseating when I last used it.

The easiest way to is by eye, there's no formula that works for everyone. Basically just keeping increasing incrementally until you start the see the fish eye effect and then go back down a notch.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of them are starting to include it. Got Insurgency on XSX and was happy it has a FOV slider…

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Yeah I wish it was standard, at least for shooters. I can deal with a low FOV for RPGs or whatever but for shooters I need at least 75. Was super happy to see Infinite had one and set that to 90 right off the bat

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017

It depends a lot on what the developer used as their default fov. Move too far from it and things will look weird. So if they designed with fov 70 in mind then 100 is going to look weird, but if they designed with 90 in mind then it will look fine.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand why the default in games is so low to begin with. 90 should be default.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm ok with letting devs pick the view they feel is best.

How do we know it's always the "developer's vision" and not just some technical limitation or other reason? I find it hard to believe they really think these console games look good at 50 FoV where your character or gun takes up half the screen and you have barely any peripheral vision.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
leng jai

Yes. Of course.

Every single time a functionality impacts performance, you can be sure that there will be mechanisms in place to avoid updating it, to prevent making things worse.

Just like you cannot enable 16x antialiasing and ray tracing at 8k on your normal console game (as the regular user would want to max everything without understanding the impact on performance), you cannot hope to expect FOV sliders to be the norm. (Also, when you click that option, a 3080 doesn't magically materialize inside your console, you know exactly why this is not and will probably not be a standard in current gen. Maybe on next one?)

We are barely hitting real 60fps in very high resolutions for the first time in console history.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Well yes. Closed platform means it comes already optimized and developers never prioritize fov over graphics. If it's already running at 60 then you would probably lose that in most cases where it doesn't have a slider. You can probably break the framerate in those few that have.

I'm just glad there seems to be a generalized performance option in consoles because we are definitely not getting a standard 60 fps mode everywhere once cross gen games stop existing. I vastly prefer 60 fps to a fov slider that breaks performance even further. Or anisotropic filtering.

Consoles...

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
When you get used to playing games at a higher FOV, it's really difficult to adjust to a narrow FOV.

Like going back to GoW 2018, with its ridiculously low FOV, it just feels so claustrophobic. Like I can't see much at all, including the enemies unless they're directly in front of me.

A higher FOV is also so much more immersive too.

Really hope we see more games with the option this gen.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I hope not. Feel like more games could let you crank it down a bit further. Thinking a good standard would be for FOV sliders 45 - 60. Definitely not more than 60 though. Maybe if they let you go above 60 they should drop FPS to compensate in odd intervals ofc.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Well yes. Closed platform means it comes already optimized and developers never prioritize fov over graphics. If it's already running at 60 then you would probably lose that in most cases where it doesn't have a slider. You can probably break the framerate in those few that have.

I'm just glad there seems to be a generalized performance option in consoles because we are definitely not getting a standard 60 fps mode everywhere once cross gen games stop existing. I vastly prefer 60 fps to a fov slider that breaks performance even further. Or anisotropic filtering.

Consoles...

After Farcry 6 I'd actually give up 60fps there if it meant I could play at 100 field of view instead. Playing that on PC and then being forced to go back to the default console FoV when on horseback or in camp is actually awful.