• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Can't unhear now.

Maybe she took inspiration from the theme without intentionally copying it? Could've just had the theme stuck in her head - it's catchy.

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
They do sound very similar similar but I don't really think it's that big of a deal, certainly not enough to say that they straight up lifted the song. And Bethesda seems to agree with that given how lawsuit happy they are, particularly with the Elder Scroll series but haven't said anything about this.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh. There's a chance that this could be an example of convergent evolution. I don't know why some of us are accusing the composer of theft here without any evidence whatsoever. Sometimes similar stimuli and environments can inspire similar creative outcomes, happens in all industries.
I don't know why some of us are denying that the melody is almost identical.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Yeah it's something I noticed the moment I heard it at E3. The whole piece isn't similar to it, only that one particular melody. I personally don't think she outright decided to copy it, not at all. It's probably just a coincidence. But it is there though.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
They sound similar but not the exact same. That part of the song is used in 3 total songs (if not more) I can't imagine that Shimomora would've "stolen" something and then used it so freely in her own work. I personally had never heard the other songs until today.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
You could probably find a bunch of close sounding compositions if you looked and I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that parts of the song sound similar. I'm also not sure why some people here are so eager to call Shimomura an outright thief.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm surprised that Bethesda, who is usually so trigger-happy, did not jump on the occasion to sue.

They do sound very similar similar but I don't really think it's that big of a deal, certainly not enough to say that they straight up lifted the song. And Bethesda seems to agree with that given how lawsuit happy they are, particularly with the Elder Scroll series but haven't said anything about this.

It's one thing to sue a blatant charlatan, quite another when it's a celebrated composer with 30-years in the business and whose whole legacy would be tainted by even the accusation of plagiarism.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to the track and was asking myself, i hope you dont mean the chorus OP, and then, bang, there comes the melody.
Clearly inspired, someone asked for this becuase he/she was a fan of TES main theme, could be the director, could be the composer directly. Its very typical for directors of games saying their composers "would love if this sounds similar to x melody", composers comes with a track that is not ripping, but in the same vein, and the director says it still doenst feel, that it needs to be more similar, and then this type of pieces appear.

Reminds me a lot to on of the High School of the Dead OST being clearly inspired by John Murphy's 28 days/weeks later main theme

Not that i mind in both cases, they are cool covers.

GUMDROP

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This happens all the time, doesn't it? Producers composing a song while subconsciously having another one in the back of their head and then, voila, you have a very similar result. I mean, Skyrim's theme is just a riff off of O Fortuna, right?

For the two songs in particular, the songs are in different keys but the chord progressions are the same - which is common in most music. The music is attempting to denote the same theme and the sequences of notes are very similar though - almost one for one - which makes their similarities obvious. I think it is just as likely that this could happen by accident, but they are very similar.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Many of Uematsu's themes pay direct homage to 60s/70s songs, for example Maybe I'm a Lion has several nods to Deep Purple and One Winged Angel to Jimi Hendrix songs. These are not the only cases.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it it was blatant theft as some people seem to be stating. People hear songs and create similar melodies without really thinking/knowing about where it exactly it came from or when they heard it. It happens in music all the time. Your favorite artist likely has melodies that are derived from another artist. It doesn't mean they listened to something popular and said "I can rip that off for a quick buck."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think having a long career or talent are good reasons to claim it didn't happen, because we have other cases where people took music regardless of that. Kenji Yamamoto (not the Nintendo one) did music for the Dragonball Z anime, movies, and games. He's been taking other pieces of music for years before he finally got penalized for it.

You also have Daisuke Ishiwatari, who is very good at making heavy metal, but the soundtrack to Guilty Gear X / XX includes a ton of songs that take parts of heavy metal songs or at blatantly the same song (compare Napalm Death's Breed to Breathe to Guilty Gear XX's A Solitude that Asks Nothing in Return). I actually started listening to heavy metal by looking up the bands that Guilty Gear references or rips off of.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
This happens all the time, doesn't it? Producers composing a song while subconsciously having another one in the back of their head and then, voila, you have a very similar result. I mean, Skyrim's theme is just a riff off of O Fortuna, right?
The melody of O Fortuna is COMPLETELY different from TES main theme.
We are not talking about the type of choral compostion skyrim has of its TES main theme being similar to O Fortuna or other peices of classical music. We are talking about the melodic compostion of TES theme (not only skyrim) is VERY similar to the one in the Final Fantasy song in the OP.

Japan is very prone to taking melodies of popualr songs to add them also as bases of their music.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its very typical for directors of games saying their composers "would love if this sounds similar to x melody", composers comes with a track that is not ripping

This is actually pretty directly what I do for a living.

I´m a composer in advertising for 20 years.

I make so called "soundalikes" pretty often. I´d say 50% of the time I´m asked to make something similar to "X".

However the FF track is too close to the ES track.

If I did this I would get sued the first day it´s on air.

GUMDROP

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The melody of O Fortuna is COMPLETELY different from TES main theme.
We are not talking about the type of choral compostion skyrim has of its TES main theme being similar to O Fortuna or other peices of classical music. We are talking about the melodic compostion of TES theme (not only skyrim) is VERY similar to the one in the Final Fantasy song in the OP.

Just added to my post as you replied because I knew someone would read the phrase "a riff off of" and assume that this was some attempt on my part to disprove some sort of claim rather than a qualifier to my point.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Was blatantly obvious to me when I first heard it. Surprised by so many not being able to spot it.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These threads always remind me of this

In this case they actually re-released the trailer later with modified music, heh.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually pretty directly what I do for a living.

I´m a composer in advertising for 20 years.

I make so called "soundalikes" pretty often. I´d say 50% of the time I´m asked to make something similar to "X".

However the FF track is too close to the ES track.

If I did this I would get sued the first day it´s on air.
Hell, I, being a game designer, always need to talk to the composer in the means of "I want something in the same vein as..." but I also know how melody rip offs are a no no and not what im looking for. For example, I want a jazzy spirit to Persona 5 ost, or I need some base sounding as Seinfelds opening (real asks ive made to the composer for our game) and Im not looking for him to bring the same melody with some notes changed, and he knows this. But he himself tells me theres other people who have worked for that really look for exact melody lookalikes, like when he was asked for something harry potter like for a short, and the guy asking was not happy until he nearly heard the hedwigs theme.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Well the game's been out for a year and it's not exactly a low profile game. I don't think anyone is getting sued.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
We can't talk about game music plagiarism without talking about Kenji Yamamoto (the DBZ one, not the Metroid one) and his liberal use of music inspired from Stratovarius and Tower of Power.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, I, being a game designer, always need to talk to the composer in the means of "I want something in the same vein as..." but I also know how melody rip offs are a no no and not what im looking for. For example, I want a jazzy spirit to Persona 5 ost, or I need some base sounding as Seinfelds opening (real asks ive made to the composer for our game) and Im not looking for him to bring the same melody with some notes changed, and he knows this. But he himself tells me theres other people who have worked for that really look for exact melody lookalikes, like when he was asked for something harry potter like for a short, and the guy asking was not happy until he nearly heard the hedwigs theme.

:)

Love it when a creative director pushes me until I have basically re-recorded the original track, but than wants me to sign a contract that makes me entirely responsible if the phone rings and there is a lawyer on the other end.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
What? It's obviously inspired by it, but it's not nearly as bad as the example in the OP

I mean considering the game is basically trying to be Mario on top of that I find it to be worse. It has nearly all the elements of the song, the same build ups, almost the same melody, and the same background drum track. The final fantasy one is close it has the same notes but the devolves into a different kind of melody. They are both bad to me lol.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Wow, that's essentially the Morrowind theme (which has since become the "TES" theme that's shown up in Oblivion and Skyrim).

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's safe to assume everything is derivative at this point. There is so much music in existence that more than two pieces are going to share melodies, chorus' and so forth.

Same goes for most if not all creative mediums. It does not excuse plagiarism however, but similarities are bound to exist.

Vagger

Oct 29, 2017
True dat OP.

As soon as that musical piece started playing on my first run of FFXV, All I could think of was Elder scrolls.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well this isn't new to the Final Fantasy series. In Final Fantasy 8, the Invasion of Dollet has a theme similar to one used in The Rock, you know, that movie with Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery based on Alcatraz, and the fact that I have to clarify that makes me realize how old I am screw this thread I'm out.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
:)

Love it when a creative director pushes me until I have basically re-recorded the original track, but than wants me to sign a contract that makes me entirely responsible if the phone rings and there is a lawyer on the other end.
lol, what a piece of shit would that guy be. Hope that doesnt happen to you that often.