• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'm currently bed bound with an illness so I can't exercise currently. But because I'm not very mobile I'm putting on weight. The medication I take also actually makes me put on weight too. So I'm trying to eat healthy to combat this.

Amazon Marketplace sent me an email regarding some weight loss fat burners and they're rated 4.5 stars. Are they actually effective? Again keep in mind I'm not in a state to exercise currently.

Thank you. Please share your experiences if possible.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm pretty sure most of them just make you shit your brains out. They don't actually make you lose fat if you're not working out and eating healthy.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Exercise really doesn't affect weight loss at all. Unless you're working out like 5 hours a day, every day. It's all about what you eat.

Those fat burners are a scam. There are some prescription weight loss drugs but they have issues.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Be careful trying to lose weight while ill, your body needs extra nutrients and calories to heal itself.

Count the calories you eat and make sure you're not going over what your body needs. Those pills are junk.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Arent those things usually a stimulant or diuretic or both like caffiene? If that's the case then they could be bad for your kidneys. Plus if all you're doomg us peeing out water weight i assume your just dehydrating yourself rather than really losing weight.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32804

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
In the case that they're unhealthy, and as I say I'm bed bound, other than eating well is there anything else I can do to shave off some pounds? I'm eating salads and soups etc but I'd love to know what else I can do to get healthy. Thank you.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
That's just not accurate at all.

I've lost 100+ lbs. Then I put it back on and lost it again.

A super intense hour of exercise -- which most people don't do, even if they do "workout" -- will only burn maybe 400-600 calories. Most people are probably jogging for 30 minutes and maybe burning 200-300 calories. That's like one cookie or a bag of chips. It's nothing. For all practical purposes, working out is not going to help you lose weight. It's like trying to get water out of a sinking ship with an 8oz cup.

Working out will make you look better if you're already at a healthy weight, and it will improve your overall physical and mental health. But it is not an effective weight loss tool.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exercise really doesn't affect weight loss at all. Unless you're working out like 5 hours a day, every day. It's all about what you eat.

Those fat burners are a scam. There are some prescription weight loss drugs but they have issues.

Are you serious? Losing weight is nothing more and nothing less than more energy going out of your body than energy going in. And how does one do that? Besides eating less, eating more efficiently, and eating healthier, exercise - and just being more active than sitting sedentary on your ass - is a great way to burn more. And since 1kg of body fat roughly equals 7000kcal of excess energy, that means theoretically you'd stand to lose 1kg of body fat in two weeks if you maintain a 500 calorie deficit.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
In the case that they're unhealthy, and as I say I'm bed bound, other than eating well is there anything else I can do to shave off some pounds? I'm eating salads and soups etc but I'd love to know what else I can do to get healthy. Thank you.

If you're bed bound, you should only eat 1000-1500 calories a day probably, depending on your target weight, age, and gender.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you serious? Losing weight is nothing more and nothing less than more energy going out of your body than energy going in. And how does one do that? Besides eating less, eating more efficiently, and eating healthier, exercise is a great way to burn more. And since 1kg of body fat roughly equals 7000kcal of excess energy, that means theoretically you'd stand to lose 1kg of body fat in two weeks if you maintain a 500 calorie deficit.

500 calories are the equivalent of working out hard for an hour or eating a single bag of chips. What is going to make more of a difference in most peoples life? Putting the snacks down or going to the gym hard every day of their life?

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are plenty of drugs out there which totally kill your appetite, so I wouldn't be surprised if they've been able to turn that into a pill.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
500 calories are the equivalent of working out hard for an hour or eating a single bag of chips. What is going to make more of a difference in most peoples life? Putting the snacks down or going to the gym hard every day of their life?
How about both? They're not mutually exclusive. Leave the bag of chips and drive a bicycle to work, or walk 30 minutes after dinner.

Food

Alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Weight loss pills can mean many different things.

You would need to be a bit more specific.

Most likely what Amazon sent you an ad for is just a bunch of stimulants. Like green tea extract and caffeine and another thing or two.

5HTP can help you control your appetite. But that is a bit controversial for long term use.

Almost any diet pill will lead to down regulating so I would not use them to get fit. Mostly, they will not help in the long term.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32804

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
If you're bed bound, you should only eat 1000-1500 calories a day probably, depending on your target weight, age, and gender.
To be honest I probably have never eaten over 1500 calories in a day. I like food but I do check the calorie intake on the packets. I'm 30 and transitioning which is the medication I'm currently taking (contains steroids).

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
They will not work if you still eat a ton of calories. I tried a ton when I began trying to lose weight and they just made me feel jittery. OP, just watch what you eat as always, and be comfortable knowing you may gain a little weight while sick. As others said, exercise isn't great for weightloss.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about both? They're not mutually exclusive. Leave the bag of chips and drive a bicycle to work, or walk 30 minutes after dinner.

Walking 30 minutes is going to burn like 100 extra calories. If you want to make a difference, you need people to walk like 5 hours a day + eat healthy. That is the whole point, you have to exercise so goddamn much that is practically noise in the greater context.

To be honest I probably have never eaten over 1500 calories in a day. I like food but I do check the calorie intake on the packets. I'm 30 and transitioning which is the medication I'm currently taking (contains steroids).

Subtract a few hundred calories from you diet and you should be OK. You will be a bit hungry, but your body does not need that extra energy.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
They don't do a whole lot. A lot of it is placebo effect and you can take a caffeine pill or energy drink to get a similar "boost"

There is one substance that does in fact burn fat and does it really well but I'm not going to say what it is. It was pulled from market shortly after being sold due to deaths and experience being unpleasant. Maybe someday research will find a safe version but for now just watch what you eat and exercise.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Exercise affects like 5-10% of your body weight. Its the difference between pudgy and ripped, but not the difference between normal weight and overweight.

While that's the norm, it's never been that for me. I played Soccer for 14 years, including for a college's travel team. Despite the same diet as everyone else, I was always the "fat guy" on the team. I could run for miles and was a 90 minute starter for years. Despite keeping the same diet, I gained a ton of weight once I moved on from the sport. In order to get anywhere near normal I had to cut my calories to darn near nothing and take up running again. I can't eat anywhere near "normal" and stay "in shape". I have to eat very small portions throughout the day, and work my tail off to not be "fat".

So yeah, it was a lot about "diet", but my diet had to be water, darn near no carbs or sugar, and feeling like I was starving...lol. Once the weight is off my diet has to STAY horribly lean just to maintain at all.

I've darn near given up, but I really need to knock a lot of weight back off. Which means limiting my food to very little and killing myself with physical fitness/working out. :(

Keeping my diet "good" results in maybe 10-15lbs of weight loss with top effort over a year. Adding in working out last time I tried, dropped me by 60lbs...but as soon as I quit working out, the weight comes back with vengeance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32804

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
What about meal replacement shakes? I have some whey protein that's designed to be a meal replacement? Are they generally healthy to take?

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
That's just not accurate at all.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/16845438/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories

diet_TOTAL_EXPENDITURE_CHART.0.jpg

diet_200POUNDS_CHART.0.png

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I'm not saying only exercising will make you lose weight, but combining it with a diet will work better than just a diet alone.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Diet pills used to work back in the 90's when Ephedra was legal. Man did they work! But yeah they were very bad for you and I actually got an ulcer from the one I was using back then.

These days? I have no idea but I have heard decent things about Old School Labs.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While that's the norm, it's never been that for me. I played Soccer for 14 years, including for a college's travel team. Despite the same diet as everyone else, I was always the "fat guy" on the team. I could run for miles and was a 90 minute starter for years. Despite keeping the same diet, I gained a ton of weight once I moved on from the sport. In order to get anywhere near normal I had to cut my calories to darn near nothing and take up running again. I can't eat anywhere near "normal" and stay "in shape". I have to eat very small portions throughout the day, and work my tail off to not be "fat".

So yeah, it was a lot about "diet", but my diet had to be water, darn near no carbs or sugar, and feeling like I was starving...lol. Once the weight is off my diet has to STAY horribly lean just to maintain at all.

I've darn near given up, but I really need to knock a lot of weight back off. Which means limiting my food to very little and killing myself with physical fitness/working out. :(

Keeping my diet "good" results in maybe 10-15lbs of weight loss with top effort over a year. Adding in working out last time I tried, dropped me by 60lbs...but as soon as I quit working out, the weight comes back with vengeance.

Everyone has a stable weight that they can reach by a healthy amount of exercise and balanced food. That stable weight is usually healthy, but it might not be aesthetically for you. Exercise helps with the final step when you go from healthy to fit, but it cannot help you to go from obese to fit. There are way too many calories in food to be able to compensate them by exercise alone. It seems your healthy stable weight and your desirable aesthetic weight do not align, which is why you have to kill yourself.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
Diet pills work because of the undesirable side effects. Many folks use them as supplement to leaner diets and exercise. I personally don't care for this method as you're just temporarily tricking your body and I assume you don't plan to continue shitting your brains out in to your toilet for the rest fo your life.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last time I lost 100 lbs I helped kick it off with some fiber supplements to try and feel fuller.

But since your body is not getting as much sugar as it is use to, you are going to feel tired.

Well if Vox thinks so I guess that's that

I don't buy it, exercise is a great component of losing weight. It's not required but it helps out a ton.

Exercise is a great way to keep weight off after you have lost it. Not a big help in loosing.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If the diet pill you're referring to is a strong appetite suppressant then yeah they would probably help. They aren't going to make the weight magically fall off faster though.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Fat burners can make you sweat excessively. I had a coworker who was on them and he was basically a wet patch on legs.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I take bupropion for depression which apparently can also be part of prescription diet pill plans to reduce appetite. Not sure if it's that common, but I got that a lot when I first started taking it "oh, the diet pill?" If I don't take my other pills in conjunction, the bupropion makes me feel jittery af and wanna punch a hole in a wall lol. Seems like the options are pills that make you poop more or feel like you're on meth so that doesn't sound worth it if you're not super desperate. (although I'm sure whatever isolated dose would be lower than what I'm on)

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah no. Exercise is very important. You can loose weight without exercise, and you can exercise without loosing weight, but you can't really say that exercise isn't relevant

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Everyone has a stable weight that they can reach by a healthy amount of exercise and balanced food. That stable weight is usually healthy, but it might not be aesthetically for you. Exercise helps with the final step when you go from healthy to fit, but it cannot help you to go from obese to fit. There are way too many calories in food to be able to compensate them by exercise alone. It seems your healthy stable weight and your desirable aesthetic weight do not align, which is why you have to kill yourself.

I'm a thick guy even at my "healthy" weight, just pointing out it can be different for different people. Everyone in my family, on my mothers side, is "big". Not much we can do but work our tails off to try not to be. My grandfather owned a farm, and worked in the fields daily...dude was still north of 300lbs.

Edit** Just realized you meant "kill yourself" as in working out...HAHA.... the wording looked/sounded bad there at the end, despite myself using that term on the regular.

Mar 29, 2018
Are you serious? Losing weight is nothing more and nothing less than more energy going out of your body than energy going in. And how does one do that? Besides eating less, eating more efficiently, and eating healthier, exercise - and just being more active than sitting sedentary on your ass - is a great way to burn more. And since 1kg of body fat roughly equals 7000kcal of excess energy, that means theoretically you'd stand to lose 1kg of body fat in two weeks if you maintain a 500 calorie deficit.
But exercising doesn't affect that deficit too strongly. If you're eating 2700 calories a day and your body burns 2500 a day, doing half an hour of moderate exercise a day will only bring you up to like 2800 calories burned, and that's probably an upper limit.

The rough proportions I've heard is that it's like 20% exercise, 80% what you eat.

Having lots of muscle helps you burn more calories at a rest... but eating carries the vast bulk of weight loss necessity

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, I'm not the kind of person that thinks that way, but I don't think I'd say that to other people, even if you're joking.

I'm a thick guy even at my "healthy" weight, just pointing out it can be different for different people. Everyone in my family, on my mothers side, is "big". Not much we can do but work our tails off to try not to be.

Kill yourself as in exercise a lot , dude, not suicide. Jesus Christ.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Eat healthy, eat a lot of different healthy stuff, eat less than you need, about a 10-15% calorie deficit. This will take long, but will be lasting. Good luck!

^

That's if you can't exercise at all - but I really doubt you can't do anything, can you?

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Well if Vox thinks so I guess that's that

I don't buy it, exercise is a great component of losing weight. It's not required but it helps out a ton.

i'm sure it helps out "a ton" if you exercise like a professional athlete... most people don't.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/428523-calories-burned-in-a-30-minute-strength-exercise-session/

livestrong are usually decent when it comes to this topic. i know how shoddy nutritional websites are though, so don't take this as gospel

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Working out isn't really about burning calories, in a diet it's mostly about increasing metabolism

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
If they worked doctors would prescribe them and people would use them more. They are snake oils that have one function: being laxative, so you shit your bowls empty.

Don't know about that. In the months leading up to my marriage I started jogging regularly and I lost weight on a steady pace without really changing my diet. Had to stop because I busted my knee, and the weight just came back. A combination of diet and exercise is the best way to lose weight.

Oct 26, 2017
Working out isn't really about burning calories, in a diet it's mostly about increasing metabolism

It depends on the type of exercise. If you're doing weightlifting, you will increase your resting metabolic rate with the additional muscle mass. However if you're just doing cardio, then all you're doing is burning calories without necessarily increasing the metabolic efficiency.

Idk how you can say exercise doesn't affect weight loss. Diet and Exercise together has an impact on weight loss. You don't need to do a 5 hour exercise junkie kind of workout.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
People need to take exercise way more seriously. Obviously this is the wrong thread for this debate because the OP is among the people who really can't exercise, but for those that are reasonably healthy and have a permitting lifestyle, you should be doing way more. 30 minutes of moderate exercise 3 times a week isn't going to make you lose weight (it will help) in the same way that only eating healthy 3 times a week won't.
I once tried one of those fat binding pills, it's horrible, you just end with steatorrhoea