• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
xstqduCJ.png

Will lock if old.

Recently grabbed Armed & Dangerous from the Xbox Web Store and the game is showing in my Gold Section, even though in the past 360 & OG Xbox titles never did. I've heard talk that depending on where you grab the game impacts if it's free to keep or not (360 Console or Old XB1 store it's free while Web Store & New XB1 Store isn't). Not sure if this was a silent change by the MS team or something that happened to fall through the cracks as I haven't seen any talk about it?

It's possible that this is just a bug as i'm unable to test due to the length of my subscription. This isn't a huge deal if they changed it but would be saddening as it was a nice little bonus to everything.

So does anyone else have any recent 360 or OG Xbox games showing in their "XBL Gold" tab?
Has anyone been able to test if they're still playable after Gold runs out?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Gold section is just them sectioning off those for eqsier discovery. They keep testing out new ways to list games. Doubt anything has changed

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They are kept if you do it from the 360 console itself. (How do you find it on the old store?)

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
Use the old website. If you use the new website, I can this will happened. Also, when you do that from the new website, and you go on your 360 download history it will show as content unavailable. So by using the new website, it will give you a corrupt license on 360. Support removed the Xbox one license for me but it didn't remove the corrupt 360 license. We gave up, I just claim on the new website again.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Whats the difference between old/new website?
The old version of love doesn't support ownership ties to your subscription- so if you purchase the game it's yours to keep forever.

New Xbox live does however , so it sells you the Xbox One Bc Wrapper of the game instead, which does.

Last edited:

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
The old one is from the 360 era, and you need a payment to claim your gwg. The newer one is the Xbox one store where they recently migrate a lot of BC game there.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
When Psychonauts got listed for free on Xbox One I downloaded it from the console store. I "own" it on Xbox One, it's also listed in my download history on Xbox 360, on the store page of the game and on microsoft.com.

I claimed deBlob 2 on microsoft.com because xbox.com/marketplace.xbox.com would not let me complete the purchase. Result: I own it on Xbox One, on microsoft.com but not on Xbox 360 (it's not listed in download history) and I can purchase it on the store page on the 360 console, though I got an error when I tried purchasing it for free after I claimed it on the web, possibly because I already own it. This game is not listed as a Gold title on Xbox One and can be found in the owned games tab of ready to install.

I claimed Armed and Dangerous on Xbox 360. Result: I own it everywhere. On Xbox 360, Xbox One and on all store pages on the web.

Whatever they are doing...it's a shit show.

I'm also missing games I claimed for free in the past. Dead Space 2 is completely gone from my collection, The Outer Wilds from the E3 2018 Mixpot is missing from ready to install. Depending on the day the store shows that I can play the game with Game Pass (with buy to own) or that I own the game. The console also doesn't recognize that the game is installed.

It shouldn't be a surprise by now but I'm absolutely baffled at how bad Microsoft is at managing an online store and the licensing of digital content.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
No idea but thanks for reminding me about this - really need to pick that up

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
They are on my owned list but I still redeem them on a 360. MS has been having issues with 360 licenses for months though with games disappearing and (sometimes) reappearing in user libraries willy-nilly. It's probably all related to the new store listings and whatever tinkering they have been doing behind the scenes rather than a change with Games with Gold.

Whats the difference between old/new website?

Old site - https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/...77fe-1000-9115-d8024256083d?DownloadType=Game
New site - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/armed-and-dangerous/bs7sqnnrb28w?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
When Psychonauts got listed for free on Xbox One I downloaded it from the console store. I "own" it on Xbox One, it's also listed in my download history on Xbox 360, on the store page of the game and on microsoft.com.

I claimed deBlob 2 on microsoft.com because xbox.com/marketplace.xbox.com would not let me complete the purchase. Result: I own it on Xbox One, on microsoft.com but not on Xbox 360 (it's not listed in download history) and I can purchase it on the store page on the 360 console, though I got an error when I tried purchasing it for free after I claimed it on the web, possibly because I alrwady own it. This game is not listed as a Gold title on Xbox One and can be found in the owned games tab of ready to install.

I claimed Armed and Dangerous on Xbox 360. Result: I own it everywhere. On Xbox 360, Xbox One and on all store pages on the web.

I'm also missing games I claimed for free in the past. Dead Space 2 is completely gone from my collection, The Outer Wilds from the E3 2018 Mixpot is missing from ready to install. Depending on the day the store shows that I can play the game with Game Pass (with buy to own) or that I own the game. The console also doesn't recognize that the game is installed.

It shouldn't be a surprise by now but I'm absolutely baffled at how bad Microsoft is at managing an online store and the licensing of digital content.

So that isn't just me, I noticed that the other day as well and was confused about it with Outer Wilds.
Looks like they have some stuff to iron out still and hopefully they aren't just going to coast past it.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I was confused that Armed and Dangerous had a GOLD icon on it when RFII, (along with all the other BC games from the service), from just last month didn't.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so if my sub expires then I won't be able to play the ones that are now marked with gold on the Xbox One? Specifically the OG Xbox/360 games.

GHOSTDEATH

Oct 27, 2017
I thought they took the ability to play after your sub expired only with the Xbox One games and not the OG Xbox/X360 games. Wasn't that how GWG worked before?
From Xbox FAQ:

What happens to my Games with Gold games if I cancel my Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription?

On Xbox One, you'll no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription. However, if you decide to renew your subscription at any time, you'll be able to access and play your previously redeemed Games with Gold titles again.

On Xbox 360, any Games with Gold titles that you redeem as an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate member are yours to keep, regardless of whether you continue your subscription.

So i don't know for OG Xbox, it seems you are right for X360 Games or is it only on X360 the console? i am not sure

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From Xbox FAQ:

What happens to my Games with Gold games if I cancel my Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription?

On Xbox One, you'll no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription. However, if you decide to renew your subscription at any time, you'll be able to access and play your previously redeemed Games with Gold titles again.

On Xbox 360, any Games with Gold titles that you redeem as an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate member are yours to keep, regardless of whether you continue your subscription.

So i don't know for OG Xbox, it seems you are right for X360 Games or is it only on X360 the console? i am not sure
That's really confusing. Are they saying you will only be able to play the redeemed X360 GWG games on a X360 and not on a Xbox One after the sub expires, or are they strictly talking about redeemed XO games and you will still be able to play the original Xbox/360 games like I thought?

Hopefully someone knows the answer to that.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

I claimed deBlob 2 on microsoft.com because xbox.com/marketplace.xbox.com would not let me complete the purchase. Result: I own it on Xbox One, on microsoft.com but not on Xbox 360 (it's not listed in download history) and I can purchase it on the store page on the 360 console, though I got an error when I tried purchasing it for free after I claimed it on the web, possibly because I already own it. This game is not listed as a Gold title on Xbox One and can be found in the owned games tab of ready to install.

All the games mentioned in this post are owned by me according to microsoft.com
So I'm in the UK, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Bit confused by your post, your screenshot shows that you own it already, why would you want to buy something again that you already own?

The problem is, GWG aren't always showing up as owned.
For me personally they are, but not for everyone.

Once you claim them, they should be owned.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From Xbox FAQ:

I've definitely been able to play my 360 GWG games without my Gold sub on Xbox One.
That's really confusing. Are they saying you will only be able to play the redeemed X360 GWG games on a X360 and not on a Xbox One after the sub expires, or are they strictly talking about redeemed XO games and you will still be able to play the original Xbox/360 games like I thought?

Hopefully someone knows the answer to that.
This has to do with the changes they made to the store in the last month or so. Used to be that redeeming your 360 games from the console would get you the 360 license, which you could use on both a 360 and an Xbox One, and they were unable to remove access to them because of how those entitlements worked.

With the store rework, you now get the Xbox One license for that 360 game when you redeem it through the console, which they are able to remove access to. But, if you redeem the 360 license through the old marketplace.xbox.com pages, you'll still get the 360 license.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely been able to play my 360 GWG games without my Gold sub on Xbox One.

This has to do with the changes they made to the store in the last month or so. Used to be that redeeming your 360 games from the console would get you the 360 license, which you could use on both a 360 and an Xbox One, and they were unable to remove access to them because of how those entitlements worked.

With the store rework, you now get the Xbox One license for that 360 game when you redeem it through the console, which they are able to remove access to. But, if you redeem the 360 license through the old marketplace.xbox.com pages, you'll still get the 360 license.
I think I understand now, thank you. I guess the tip is to always redeem the OG Xbox and 360 GWG games from the old website from now on then?

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So that isn't just me, I noticed that the other day as well and was confused about it with Outer Wilds.
Looks like they have some stuff to iron out still and hopefully they aren't just going to coast past it.

Haven't checked the Outer Wilds, but I'm sure the same happened to The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition.

I have it physical, but I'm sure I claimed digital when it was offered for free at some point (I don't think it was GwG, but some other kind of promotion)

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017

Fuck me... I never knew that it was such a clusterfuck.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me... I never knew that it was such a clusterfuck.
I own hundreds of digital games on multiple platforms and Microsoft is by far the worst in terms of digital licensing. They constantly screw around with stuff.

I've got all of my purchases archived but Xbox is the only place where I have to check regularly if all of my games are still there. I've got an Excel sheet and because of the games counter in ready to install I can easily spot if there are games missing. Now with DLC it's a completely different story. I'm at a point where I might just quit buying anything digital on Xbox because it's simply not worth the hassle.

All of my problems started when they first merged (or linked?) the Xbox Marketplace with the Microsoft store a few years ago. They deactivated the Xbox 360 web download history, that included everything you owned sorted by content type and purchase date. All delisted stuff. Everything.

They deactivated that feature and replaced it with "My Games" on xbox.com, suddenly a lot of stuff was missing and could only be redownloaded from the purchase history on the Xbox 360 console.

Not only that...5 years of my purchase history went missing on account.microsoft.com. I still own the games but proofing a purchase suddenly became a lot harder.

Since then I randomly lost access to games. They disappeared from ready to install. Sometimes they reappeared automatically, in other cases I had to contact support to get them back. Free games, purchased games etc.

Apart from the games mentioned above I'm currently missing dlc for Rock Band 4 and episodes 2 to 5 for Guardians of the Galaxy. When they removed the Telltale games from the store they made sure the games could be redownloaded, except for this one. It's been over a year.

Now they're overhauling the store again, breaking or missing a lot of stuff in the process. I guess they missed that digital 360 games are available in different SKUs. As a result only Germans are missing Dead Space 2.

It has become a major problem. Threads about missing games are popping up often on places like reddit. All types of game licences are affected. Some are missing WWE2k16 from GwG, I however am not. Forza Horizon 2 seems to have disappeared for some. Mine is still there.

Regarding Dead Space 2 I've contacted Xbox support (4 or so) weeks ago. I haven't heard anything back. I've also contacted them because of Outer Wilds. They never fixed Guardians for me. I've contacted them multiple times because of this issue.

The newest issue I'm having: My Xbox 360 always asks for a new credit card if I want to download any previously purchased content. I haven't used a credit card on Xbox in years. It's hilarious.

All the games mentioned in this post are owned by me according to microsoft.com
So I'm in the UK, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Only the German SKU of Dead Space 2 is missing from the store on Xbox One. It's still available to download on Xbox 360.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
Microsoft is beyond terrible when it comes to digital licensing of OG/360 games- I lost my Viva Piñata license on my country's official Marketplace despite having it since 2015,but can see it when switching region to US on my console,same for Call of Juarez Bound in Blood and Red Faction II which I recently claimed fro GwG,oh and Toy Story 3 too.
I was on the chat with their support 2 times,with each session taking over freaking 2 hours and I was promised my issue would be escalated...yeah,right,it's been 2 months for the last session and over a year for the first.
Moreover,I tried purchase Brothers in Arms 2 weeks ago from the MS Store on my Xbox One and the game simply didn't appear in my list. luckily I was able to get a refund.
It's just a shitshow.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is beyond terrible when it comes to digital licensing of OG/360 games- I lost my Viva Piñata license on my country's official Marketplace despite having it since 2015,but can see it when switching region to US on my console,same for Call of Juarez Bound in Blood and Red Faction II which I recently claimed fro GwG,oh and Toy Story 3 too.
I was on the chat with their support 2 times,with each session taking over freaking 2 hours and I was promised my issue would be escalated...yeah,right,it's been 2 months for the last session and over a year for the first.
Moreover,I tried purchase Brothers in Arms 2 weeks ago from the MS Store on my Xbox One and the game simply didn't appear in my list. luckily I was able to get a refund.
It's just a shitshow.
This is the worst part. You get treated like shit by support. They're not taking you seriously. It's been the same for me. I own more than 800 games on Xbox, I am a good customer. They should treat me like one.

Jan 2, 2018
This is the worst part. You get treated like shit by support. They're not taking you seriously. It's been the same for me. I own more than 800 games on Xbox, I am a good customer. They should treat me like one.
I always wondered how it gets like zero voice over the internet,I actually thought I was the only one having those problems lol. I really think people should start tweeting to Xbox staff on twitter about this clusterfuck , I sure tried ,but expectedly never got an answer.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
slightly off topic but is there a way to see xbox (360, one etc) games you own anywhere online? don't currently have a console but was just curious as to what i've amassed over the years.