• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have been, but I'm trying to work on it. The stress and guilt you get from postponing important things just isn't worth it.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Sadly yes. As an example In Uni I sat on some term papers and started writing the night before it was due. Of course I couldn't finish and handed it in 3 days later. Both profs said I would have gotten an A had I turned it in on time. I self sabotage all the time through procrastination. All that last minute stress likely caused my heart attack last year. It's not healthy.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I meant to reply to this thread when it first popped up, and I'm only just now getting around to it. That answer your question?

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone that might need to hear it or feel it applicable this article is fantastic. Really recommend people read if they feel they're finding it hard to tread water with their procrastination:

www.nytimes.com

Why You Procrastinate (It Has Nothing to Do With Self-Control) (Published 2019)

If procrastination isn’t about laziness, then what is it about?

From the article:

Procrastination isn't a unique character flaw or a mysterious curse on your ability to manage time, but a way of coping with challenging emotions and negative moods induced by certain tasks — boredom, anxiety, insecurity, frustration, resentment, self-doubt and beyond.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
It's weird. If it's really important stuff, I get on it straight away. But I only do that so I can then procrastrinate in peace on the not-so important stuff.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Some things that are actually important, I do procrastinate, and some important things I dont. I'm literally looking at a course book I need to read and is replying to this thread instead

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone that might need to hear it or feel it applicable this article is fantastic. Really recommend people read if they feel they're finding it hard to tread water with their procrastination:

www.nytimes.com

Why You Procrastinate (It Has Nothing to Do With Self-Control) (Published 2019)

If procrastination isn’t about laziness, then what is it about?

Thanks for sharing. Can relate to that and also some of the tips which has helped for me a bit.
Acceptance is the best. Used to call myself lazy when actually I was dealing with trauma, self esteem issues, doubting myself.

Once I accepted these things more I became a better student. I still can escalate back to a vicious circle. But I am better at convincing myself to start things now than before.

Still the worst part of me along I regularly have to fight myself. I also try to think if idiots can do this why can't I? Sure a bit condescending but helps to encourage me not to give up :p

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for sharing. Can relate to that and also some of the tips which has helped for me a bit.
Acceptance is the best. Used to call myself lazy when actually I was dealing with trauma, self esteem issues, doubting myself. Once I accepted these things more I became a better student. I still can escalate back to a vicious circle. But I am better at convincing myself to start things now than before.

Still the worst part of me along I regularly have to fight.
100% something you come to resolve through kindness. As you say it's not a wonder cure but being kinder to yourself can often lead to more productive times than throwing abuse at yourself in your head.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
100% something you come to resolve through kindness. As you say it's not a wonder cure but being kinder to yourself can often lead to more productive times than throwing abuse at yourself in your head.

I agree.

On an extra note if your surroundings can show kindness while giving you feedback on what you do also make wonders. However you need to be lucky to be in a good environment for that.

I wasn't used to getting compliments, but it allowed me to second guess less when the surroundings appreciate the work I do. Then I do not have to keep the same mindset that I'm about to ruin or fail tasks.

So it is important for everyone who either struggles or not to acknowledge the positives people do. Regardless.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I'll answer the question tomorrow.

(yes)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love working, I just always work on my fun projects instead of the stuff I'm supposed to do

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I get a weird kind of thrill out of procrastinating. Because I work for myself, from home, and have done for a decade, there's very little in the way of external pressure on me day-to-day. So for some twisted reason I find myself delaying projects I know I could very easily get done sooner, right up until the night before they're due - just to give myself that little frisson of stress.

Part of me tells myself that I produce my best work under pressure, and that's why I do this, but I suspect it's something deeper and more psychological - where I feel the need to be pressured and beaten-down, otherwise I'm not really 'working'.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I meant to start playing a new game like two weeks ago, but even that I've been putting off

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished a feature for a demo right as the demo was starting....did I win?