• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I often see people reading in loud cafeterias, on buses and planes, and get somewhat jealous. I love to read and read a lot, but I find that it's hard to do so unless everything is quiet and there's nothing in the way of a distraction. As in people talking, loud noises, a TV or a movie or the radio.

I wish that I could read in public places and feel like I'm grasping and giving full attention to what I'm reading, but that isn't the case. Even if I'm at home, and my roommate gets a phone call, I'll usually stop reading until that's over or go outside.

When I visit, my dad will often be reading even if the TV is on, and my grandfather has always had no problem tuning things out and reading.

How about yourselves?

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah

learned it the hard way, desperately trying to study for a test a few minutes before it started at school.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Super sensitive to noise, particularly noise that is not appropriate for that particular context.

Why I chose to be a high school teacher in light of that is beyond me.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
Sure can, I get super lost in books. I'll read on the plane, I'll read in the breakroom at work, I'll read on the train, I'll read while someone else is watching a movie at home...

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
yep. trains, planes, buses. if my girlfriend has music playing. can focus on a book pretty easily.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can study in noisy areas and find it easy to make it background white noise.

What I can't do is study with any music or audio of something I may be interested in. That completely distracts me.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Only talking, have no issue with sounds which is why I put on a soundtrack when there's a lot of talking around me.

OP
OP
TheBeardedOne

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I have a hard time focusing anymore, and somehow reading is one of the only things that helps. Still, it can be difficult to focus fully on it unless it's a great book.

I've probably read about 30 books since 2017, most of them being this year.