• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Consider Yourself Above Average Intelligence?

• Yes

Votes: 840 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 470 35.9%

• Total voters

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
YxiwbP6.jpg

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I know what that one is. I only go with what I have been officially diagnosed with and that's not one of them. But it may apply.
Definition of imposter syndrome
Impostor syndrome (also known as impostor phenomenon, impostorism, fraud syndrome or the impostor experience) is a psychological pattern in which an individual doubts their accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a "fraud".

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I'm kind of dumb, but I live with it. A shitty life, but a life nonetheless.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
According to that one IQ test I took about seven years ago, I'm gifted.

Which makes me suspicious. If this is what intelligence is like then it's overrated.

I honestly have no idea though. I would like to think I'm not a complete dunce, but I also know most people think that. It's not like I can ever know what it's like to have a different level of intelligence to whatever I have. If I was utterly thick, would I even know it? I know the Dunning-Kruger Effect is a thing. Does the fact I know I know that and am thinking about this indicate that I am smart? Arrrrgh!

I'll just play it safe and assume I'm right smack dab in the middle of that big ol' bell curve.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Era, I'm so dumb!

HOW DUMB ARE YOU

I'm so dumb that if you played me in a Fallout game, you'd get extra dialogue options.

I'm so dumb that I thought Dark Souls was an IP devoted to Dr. Scholl's inserts.

I'm so dumb that I chose INT as my Wizard's dump stat.

I'm telling you, folks, I just ain't that bright! *bowtie spins*

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I went to a very selective grammar school that chooses its students based on a series of tests, mostly IQ/Mensa type stuff.
When I was younger my IQ was 144, but then the depression hit and over a decade of heavy substance abuse ruined my brain, my memory especially. I want to take another official IQ test to see how much damage I've done but i'm scared of the results.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Nah I don't think so.

Takes a lot out of me to learn things and piece them together. I'm in awe of actual smart people.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not an actual diagnosis, more of a phenomenon pretty much everyone experiences lol
Okay, I just never investigated it. I think my issue stems from so many people reading a website or webmd and diagnosing themselves which I feel is bad and don't do, so if I don't get the idea from a doctor I don't usually research.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm pretty skeptical of the concept of intelligence as an intrinsic quality that can be reliably measured and ranked on an individual basis. If philosophers, educators, biologists, statisticians, and computer scientists have a tough time coming up with a rigorous definition for what "intelligence" even *is*, I think it'd be sorta presumptuous to assume I'm better at it than other people.

But on the other hand, my mama says I'm a very clever boy, and I trust my mama.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I mean I really think it depends. My ACT score was a 27 and I got a 32 in math and reading then a 26 in science. Then there was the English section where I got a 16 and bombed my score to hell 😂😂 people are above average in there own sections for sure but I don't think anyone is above average in everything.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
I'm generally an idiot but I'm quiet enough and always look mildly annoyed at work, so people tend to think I know answers to their various questions. Hell, most of the time I don't even actually know what I'm doing at work. I just move stuff and stack crap and no one's stopped me yet.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm sure you're smart given your field of study, but some of the most educated people I know are flat out dullards but they have no clue.

You're right though, most people won't admit to being below average when often times it Carrie's no significance.

For example: what do you call the worst person in class to graduate medical school? A doctor.

A future liability lawsuit.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP, you missed the trick and should have made the poll question "Do You Consider Yourself Below Average Intelligence?" so anyone who just read the Thread Title and auto-completed the poll would put the incorrect answer down.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I really think it depends. My ACT score was a 27 and I got a 32 in math and reading then a 26 in science. Then there was the English section where I got a 16 and bombed my score to hell 😂😂 people are above average in there own sections for sure but I don't think anyone is above average in everything.
Some are, or there wouldn't be people getting perfect scores on their SAT/ACT. Certainly all-rounders are less common than single-subject above average people, but they exist. Even when including common sense and street smarts into the picture.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I'm slightly above average, I would say. I'm mostly word smart; that is, my vocabulary is slightly bigger than most people I interact with and I don't have much trouble spelling certain words that most people don't know how to spell. I'd also like to think that I have a way with words, both in written form and spoken (I tend to think my words through before I speak them). I'd also say that my problem solving skills are slightly above average. Overall, my intelligence is nothing special. There's actually a bunch of things I don't know that I probably should know at my age.

Let's just put it this way; if I'm the smartest person in a room, then everyone is fucked if there's any sort of trouble.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Identified as a gifted student as far back as Kindergarten, and that's carried through to the present day.

Now whether I'm making at all worthwhile use of it is another question.