• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Consider Yourself Above Average Intelligence?

• Yes

Votes: 840 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 470 35.9%

• Total voters

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
There is only a handful of people in the world (or in time) with newton and einstein level of intelligence. I think that kind of poll would be more interesting

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder than above average intelligence is, as measured by IQ, > 100. IQ is normalized to the population with a mean of 100, so 50% will be below, 50% above.

Obviously this is not a perfect test of intelligence, but in case anyone didn't know what the numbers indicated.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
I'm torn. I was pretty dumb in physics relative to some pretty smart people, but then I look around at others in everyday life and wonder if I'm dumb then what does that make everyone else? It probably doesn't help being in Oklahoma either. There's also the issue of judging intelligence. Knowledge isn't intelligence but your rate of attaining it is, right? How do IQ tests even gauge that?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
p48trn1.gif

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Most of the overly intelligent people I've spent time with are not pleasant to be around - whether it be arrogance, a self-absorbed attitude, immaturity, lack of empathy, inability to handle being wrong (since they often aren't)

To the people in this topic who admitted to being dumb though, let's hang out

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think so.

Even though there are some super mega geniuses out there, I feel like there are too many people that are on the opposite end of the spectrum, either from dropping out of school, having learning disabilities, or just ignorance to knowledge.

Based on what I've seen on the news/random things on social media and the internet, the smart people seem to be VASTLY outnumbered :(

Oct 31, 2017
I use to think i was above average.Wasnt until i took physics which made me realise i wasnt that smart. Really made me reevaluate myself.I honestly think it lead to me getting better grades at school because now I knew i wasnt those guys who could not study and get an A in the class.I actually needed to study and manage my time .So overall it was a positive realization.

Oct 27, 2017
I know climate change is real and evolution is too. So I already have a leg up on 50% of the population 😅😂

Last edited:

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Absolutely above average, have very little doubt about that.

But so completely fucked by mental health issues that it's meaningless in most situations.

I'm pretty good at figuring out the killer in detective tv shows though.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I really hate simplifying smarts into a single all encompassing thing you can compare as a whole as if it's an innate unchangeable fact.

Human brains are special because they are very good at learning. Considering how dumb our babies are, we're kinda especially dumb in our innate state before learning happens. So how can you put a number on any subject knowing that the number can change through effort? How can you come up with a list of tests which are somehow representative of everything?

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I guess. I took a legit IQ test I middle school because I was failing and they wanted to put me in special ed classes. I was failing because I found the work boring and absolutely refused to do homework as I felt it unnecessary after spending my day in school. Turns out I had a 142 IQ ( I know this doesn't mean shit but they sure acted like it did) and they found out I just wasn't being challenged. After that I was put in classes that were harder but I still refused to do homework. Then in high school I got my shit together and graduated at 16. Got accepted to Caltech and got a full ride because my mom was poor as shit. That said I don't consider myself smart. When I'm among my educated peers I always feel like the dumbest person in the room even though most people say I'm actually one of the smartest. Idk. I'm definitely smarter than the average American though :)

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Based on tests, education and other attributes I would say yes. But I'm not a genius and I'm glad about it. There are times where I feel very intelligent around some people and times where I feel very dumb around other ones.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm not super smart or anything, but there are just so many fucking dumb people that I'm still above average

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Amazingly still just 15% of the voting group are lying. Very interesting that it's staying at 15% since the last time I checked

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I successfully completed the IQ test and became a member of Mensa. Dropped out a couple of years after because the "benefits" were a bit pointless for the annual fee.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Okay, this is going to sound like bragging, but you asked.

I was the topper in my school (and eventually the highest scorer in my state in a standardized exam), and a topper in my college. When I took an IQ test that measured IQ between 0 and 160, I was told that I needed an advanced test to find my true IQ as the test gave perfect results.

I used to be super arrogant about all of this but have since realized that life isn't about intellectual masturbation. A person's worth isn't defined by their intelligence. Being kind and loving is more important than being a pompous prick.

For anyone who's curious to know how it feels, I can talk about it.

There's the raw intelligence that usually makes connections in my head about people, events and ideas via intuition. I'm good at coming up with unusual solutions to problems.

I've tried to shape much of the raw intelligence into tools for daily use. For example, I'm good with conversations. I have high empathy, and can imagine the dozens of directions a conversation could go as I'm having it. When I was younger I had the penchant to use this predictive ability as a game (Let's see if I can get him to say this by saying this) but have since realized that's messed up. Now I use it to try and avoid subjects that will hurt people. If I know that an innocent subject will eventually lead to an unpleasant one, I'll pivot from that. I also use the ability to present my ideas in the most effective language possible (depending on the person I'm talking to.)

Beyond that, I learn new skills very quickly. In school and college I was good at all the subjects offered without much effort. Effort and motivation have in particular been an issue. If I see a task as easy I really don't feel like doing it. But a challenging task draws my complete attention.

There's more, but every time I talk about this people think I'm an arrogant ass, so I'll stop.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
According to the IQ test I took in high school very much so. I've done nothing useful with it so it doesn't really matter much. It's better to be dumb and driven than smart and content as it turns out.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In general I'd say yes, but thats in part because i know my failings. Of which there are many. So who's to say really.

Edit: One thing i can say is never be afraid to ask. It's ok to be the person to ask the obvious/dumb questions. If you don't understand something, or just want to know something, ask the question. Say "i dont understand", or "can you dumb that down for me" etc.

It's ok to ask. It's good to ask.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
You mean, compared to my country's population or the worldwide average?

If the former, I think my academic results and current occupation would put me in the upper half of the population, but I don't think about it that much.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
idunno. everyone in my family is a doctor. I'd like to think I have at least some of those same genes.

that said, smart people do dumb shit all the time and often times people fail to understand that they know less than they think they know.

a lot of smart people know just enough about something to be dangerous.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got a PhD in hard science and was top of my class in a science subject in a top 100 world university. So objectively the answer would be yes.

Doesn't stop imposter syndrome or make a person happy though.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
Academically, probably. I did well in school so that should be a decent indicator of my intelligence.

I can't say that I'm street smart though...

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I like to think so. I quite often find myself subconsciously commenting to myself how stupid other people are, especially when spending so much time on the internet.