• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Consider Yourself Above Average Intelligence?

• Yes

Votes: 840 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 470 35.9%

• Total voters

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Something like 90% of people consider themselves smarter than average. Statistically we know this can't be true, but here we are.

So what say you ERA?

For me personally it depends on the day. Sometimes I do some flat out dumb shit and some days I'm pretty wit

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm a PhD student in bioengineering so I'd have a hard time being successful if I wasn't. That said I doubt most people are going to say no even if they're below average

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Era is the land of big dicks and big brains, so I'm expecting 100 percent.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I am not intelligent in the sense that I don't always instantly connect things as quickly as others might, but people do mistake me for a smart person because I am knowledgeable.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure how to come up with a holistic conception of intelligence that doesn't implicitly favour my own interests or capacities.

It's probably more important to be intellectually curious than it is to be 'smart', anyways.

OP
OP
HeySeuss

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yes, I'm a PhD student in bioengineering so I'd have a hard time being successful if I wasn't. That said I doubt most people are going to say no even if they're below average
I'm sure you're smart given your field of study, but some of the most educated people I know are flat out dullards but they have no clue.

You're right though, most people won't admit to being below average when often times it Carrie's no significance.

For example: what do you call the worst person in class to graduate medical school? A doctor.

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone says I'm more intelligent than I feel. I'm not super knowledgeable except on specific things, I'm not great at puzzles, I'm OK at Jeopardy but a mess at Wheel of Fortune, I did pretty good in school but that's by American public school standards... I don't get where my peers think I'm smart from.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you're smart given your field of study, but some of the most educated people I know are flat out dullards but they have no clue.

You're right though, most people won't admit to being below average when often times it Carrie's no significance.

For example: what do you call the worst person in class to graduate medical school? A doctor.
That's fair. For what it's worth I've always had above average grades and even had a 4.0 GPA during my first two years of undergrad in chemical engineering, though some later classes ruined that. Didn't cheat or ask people to give me old test answers to work off of either for those two years

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I score above average in standardized tests. I don't think that automatically means I'm above average in intelligence. I'm sure most people given the same resources and motivation I had growing up can achieve the same.

OP
OP
HeySeuss

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Everyone says I'm more intelligent than I feel. I'm not super knowledgeable except on specific things, I'm not great at puzzles, I'm OK at Jeopardy but a mess at Wheel of Fortune, I did pretty good in school but that's by American public school standards... I don't get where my peers think I'm smart from.
I think common sense and being able to think on your feet go a long way in what people think of someone's intelligence level.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
I'm smart enough to know that I'm not smart

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I think in some areas I have a good depth of knowledge and in other areas (math for example) I am abysmal. I can go on and on about historical, philosophical, mythological, or literary subjects, but I also can't tell you anything about how to fix a car or build basically anything. I have a bad memory when it comes to subjects that don't interest me, and that tends to be most things. I have no common sense.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I would say yes but so would everyone lol. I've taken IQ tests and they aren't shit either they're so subjective .... but if IQ was a measure I'd be above average they contain alot of school learning and I did alot of schooling.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These threads always go well lol. Get ready to find out the average IQ on Era is 150.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
By what standard? IQ?

My psychologist made me take an IQ test that said yes, I'm above average intelligence.

I'm no genius but I'm bright.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Overall, I'd say no. There are specific things that I'm knowledgeable about, but for most things I am definitely behind many people who are at least competent if not above average. And even the things I'm knowledgeable about is something most people can figure out with a couple of hours of research if not more.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yes but only modestly. I'm smart enough to be a software engineer, but so are a lot of people if they have the opportunity. I see software techs that are clearly engineer minds and over time they get promoted in their 30s. So a lot of it is just privilege and education.

My wife on the other hand must have an IQ around 130.

Honestly I'm glad I'm not. I already numb my existential anxiety with weed, I imagine being very smart just amplifies that.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I score above average in standardized tests. I don't think that automatically means I'm above average in intelligence. I'm sure most people who had the same resources and motivation I did growing up can achieve the same.

This, too. Having the environment and time to support intellectual development is a privilege not afforded to all that many people.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I am probably pretty average intelligence wise. The only thing I have going for me is I'm smart enough to listen to people are more intelligent than me.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I score above average in standardized tests. I don't think that automatically means I'm above average in intelligence. I'm sure most people given the same resources and motivation I had growing up can achieve the same.
I mean as someone who has literally gotten a perfect score on the ACTs with a very minimal amount of studying (did a few practice tests and that's pretty much it), they're pretty meaningless as tests of intelligence since the knowledge they're testing is pretty worthless and has more to do with knowing tricks or being able to read fast than actually being an intelligent person

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've crammed the day before in every course I've completed so far in my engineering degree and I've always scored well above average. I recently got my first 100% final mark in an ARM programming course and the average was 75

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody is above in some capacity, it's not so easy to say this person is above and this person isn't. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses and to think people are not as intelligent based on one area or assumption is absurd to me.
Look at my brother for example incredibly bright in mathematics but struggles with sciences and isn't greatest at street smarts. Doesn't mean he's ultimately above or below in average intelligence.

Deleted member 22587

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Providence, RI

This is how I categorize myself. I definitely don't consider myself as anyone special, but my determination and perseverance is often reflected in what I produce. If others were to do the same, I'm sure they'd achieve similar results or even better.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I always generally considered myself average. Then I started working a service job, and the amount of stupid people I deal with every day is just astounding. And so I'm realizing that maybe there's a reason I was always in the 95th percentile on all those standardized tests. Oh well. Even if I have above-average intelligence, it's not like I'm making much use of it.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a tested IQ of 148, I have an engineering degree, and I work with people who went to MIT and Cal Tech, but no, I usually consider myself about average.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
People say I am, but who knows. Where I am in life doesn't exactly validate such.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
By all supposed testing sources yes, though I am not sure I agree because I feel pretty fucking stupid most of the time.

Besides it's really not a plus until you hit genius level and live up to it or are very successful. Most people with higher intelligence are just more bitter and cynical because they're stuck in the same rut as the rest of the majority but your more aware of it and can see some of the way changes could be implemented but are not.

So yeah, final verdict I really don't care, I can wipe my own ass and wash my legs and don't eat out of the garbage which is better than some era members so I can live happy with that.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
By all supposed testing sources yes, though I am not sure I agree because I feel pretty fucking stupid most of the time.

Besides it's really not a plus until you hit genius level and live up to it or are very successful. Most people with higher intelligence are just more bitter and cynical because they're stuck in the same rut as the rest of the majority but your more aware of it and can see some of the way changes could be implanted but are not.

So yeah, final verdict I really don't care, I can wipe my own ass and wash my legs and don't eat out of the garbage which is better than some era members so I can live happy with that.
imposter syndrome really is a bitch, isn't it

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I always generally considered myself average. Then I started working a service job, and the amount of stupid people I deal with every day is just astounding.

i'd consider myself marginally passing for average intelligence if not for dealing with co-workers and customers. in which case i feel i'm a few steps ahead of stephen hawking every day