• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Consider Yourself Above Average Intelligence?

• Yes

Votes: 840 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 470 35.9%

• Total voters

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm average. I'm not an idiot but people say I'm extremely smart. I can certainly learn on my toes and given the right foundation and time, I could probably learn a lot of things. I'm just lazy and that's always been my weakness.

In general I'm balanced between intelligence and street smarts, also I have an encyclopedic knowledge of Kingdom Hearts lolol so there is that.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It ultimately depends on how intelligence is measured, and I don't think there's a consensus on how we should do that. But I'll say I'm on the right side of the bell curve nonetheless.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
I use to think i was above average.Wasnt until i took physics which made me realise i wasnt that smart. Really made me reevaluate myself.I honestly think it lead to me getting better grades at school because now I knew i wasnt those guys who could not study and get an A in the class.I actually needed to study and manage my time .So overall it was a positive realization.

Don't feel too bad about feeling humbled by physics; it goes against all intuition. My professor had us answer physics questions throughout his lectures to apply each principle or to test our intuition before learning a principle, and we'd answer with our handheld clickers. We would usually be more wrong that right as a group, and he said a couple of times that he's asked the same questions to a room full of professional physists and most of them chose the wrong answers too. Physics is quite a mind fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say really. Academically I always do well, but I don't feel particularly smart out and about in the read world. I have a terrible memory which doesn't help with fact retention.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how simple it is to quantify, exams aren't really a measure. You could be good at retaining info (which helps with exams) and still be average intelligence. On the flip side, an intelligent person could be bad at exams.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I have no idea. Never did any sort of test to determine where I'd rank in, and I'm not even sure how reliable those tests are in the first place.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Just about. Although being relatively quick witted and having a good memory gives people the impression I'm smarter than I am.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I can be. Compared to most people on the bus, sure, I'm up there. Rate me against the entirety of humanity though, and I'm a pleb. Real genius would look at me as a waste of their time, plain and simple.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Depends on the subject matter. Some people know a lot about one specific thing but are utterly clueless about others. Much easier to be "smart" about day to day things since there is an online resource for almost everything.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Intelligence is how good one is at learning and critical thinking so I'd say I'm pretty good but one of my flaws is that I'm pretty ignorant in common conversation topics.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly above I would say. Always did good at school, being top of the class in primary. Got lazy in high school but passed with minimal work.

But I'm definitely not an intellectual.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Something like 90% of people consider themselves smarter than average. Statistically we know this can't be true, but here we are.

Technically this could be true as long as we choose to include all outliers in our calculation of the average. If the bottom 10% were extremely stupid and the top 90% were all roughly equal in intelligence. For example the average of the numbers 1, 99, 99, 99, 99, 99, 99, 99, 99, 99 is 89.2, which 9 of the 10 numbers are higher than.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't mention your fabulous career programming robots when your communication skills with humanity are low and you ignore basic human wellness. You can be a teacher or a doctor or lawyer or engineer and be an idiot—your skill set is just specialized.

True Intelligence is the cumulation of mental wellness and life skills with the pursuit of continued education as an adult.

I'd say that like anyone, there are subjects that I excel at and ones that need extra attention. I'm self-aware and have strong communication and interpersonal skills. So wherever that places me I'm fine with it.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yes, but my processing speed is low (average) so it ends up balancing itself out in the end.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I mean, I had to take an actual IQ test and I scored decently higher than the average. So, by definition I am above average in intelligence.

Do I feel that way most of the time? Hell no. Constant self doubt.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I'm probably above average, and very likely with some false confidence.

Thought the level of education in math and physics I've achieved is very abnormal.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm a tenured professor. So. You know what they say, those who can't do anything, teach.

I probably got there by being in the right place at the right time though, and I you could ascribe it to luck, but I actually think you need some above average intelligence for this.

Or watching lots of Batman on tv in my youth and knowing the bat time and bat channel.

Oct 25, 2017
One might say that I am highly intelligent. Its not something I love to claim for myself, but it's something almost everyone I've ever met had said to me in some form or another. When my mother would tuck me in at night she would always kiss me on my forehead, then tell me "Goodnight my highly intelligent Son". After 8 years of study at Yale (I was accepted at 12), I graduated with my master's in law and immediately joined a firm that paid about $120,000 per year. I worked there for 10 years until I left, even getting a partnership. I felt that it was time to leave when my boss wouldn't let me take control of the firm. I quit and became a professor of Organic Chemistry at Stanford, even though I have never studied that subject. That is where I currently work, and I am not worried about the money, because I have a patent for a device that has made me hundreds of thousands of dollars. And yes, I do watch Rick and Morty, I legitimately have gained 10 IQ points since I have started watching, bringing it up to 187. And that's on a bad day.

Some of my hobbies include Japanese sword smithing and I dabble in a bit of freelance philosophy (I run the 5th largest blogspot in the United States).

Any questions about anything then let me know. I might not have the answer, but it'll be better than the one you can find, that much I can guarantee. And before you accuse me of bragging, just remember that you asked, all I've done is answer.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely say I'm above average intelligence. But I don't have great common sense or practical skills.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't mention your fabulous career programming robots when your communication skills with humanity are low and you ignore basic human wellness. You can be a teacher or a doctor or lawyer or engineer and be an idiot—your skill set is just specialized.

True Intelligence is the cumulation of mental wellness and life skills with the pursuit of continued education as an adult.

I'd say that like anyone, there are subjects that I excel at and ones that need extra attention. I'm self-aware and have strong communication and interpersonal skills. So wherever that places me I'm fine with it.

By that definition I'll get my dunce's caonand stand in the corner

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I was officially tested back in school along with my siblings and we were all around the same numbers and all above average but nothing crazy, ranging from 116 to 126. My father never had a formal education but I suspect he'd scored way higher than us.

Now, newer members of the family. They're the annoying smart asses. I love them very much but they're fucking weirdos all of them. Youngest one is yet to be tested but the other kids scored already higher than we did and the little one is already showing the same weirdnesses the other did.

But let me tell you something you already know: Those tests don't mean shit.

Also some people have already said this too: We all feel stupid, impostors, when things go our way.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I'm that smart, but I'm certainly not stupid enough to select "yes" in that poll.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm really quick witted and know a little about a lot.

I'd like to say my intelligence is as wide as the ocean and as deep as a puddle lol.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every day I feel like people will realize how much of a fucking farce I am, how I wasn't supposed to be where I am right now and way better people than me should be in my place.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have absolutely no idea. I don't know what intelligence actually is and I don't know if I'm close to being it. I guess if I had to answer I'd say I am in someways and in other ways I'm not.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Always been top of my class, do good at work and am quite knowledgeable in regards to things far out of my field. As in I can reasonably discuss art, literature and the likes despite working in a more hard science field. Of course I'm a huge asshole and am terrible with people, so it evens out.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
I don't feel like there's anybody who's really "above average intelligence" simply because of what OP said. There are days where you're smart and there are days where dumb things happen. Like I'm sure Bill Gates is smart for his career, but overall, he may be doing dumb things 🤷🏼‍♀️

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tended to score at the higher range of my state in standardised English, cognitive problem solving and maths testing in high school - usually in the top 5% range and the top 1-2% for English. I feel like I peaked in high school though lol. I could be more knowledgeable and score higher in testing if I wasn't so easily distracted by shit and truly focused down on my studies, but I'm still getting mostly distinctions in my law degree so I feel like it would be rude if I considered myself at average or below-average intelligence.

Every day I feel like people will realize how much of a fucking farce I am, how I wasn't supposed to be where I am right now and way better people than me should be in my place.

Try not to let the imposter syndrome get to you my dude, it'll be okay.