• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Consider Yourself Above Average Intelligence?

• Yes

Votes: 840 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 470 35.9%

• Total voters

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I was always pretty close to top of my classes at high school, and top in some. I did very well at college. But at university met so many people way smarter than me - which is one of the reasons I enjoyed my time there so much. So I guess I'm above average but certainly no genius.

I do have a good memory though, and knowledge is often confused for intelligence. I've been praised as smart at times when really I'm just remembering stuff.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I finished pre-university education which only 15% of the population does and I scored higher than 130 on an IQ test when I was younger so I think I'm above average when it comes to intelligence. That doesn't make me superior or a better person though.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I am. Perhaps in the top 65 percentile? Here in the Netherlands we go to middle/high school based on intelligence. I went to the second highest level, where twenty percent go. I graduated from a studie where 75 percent dropped out. Partly I think due to a sometimes pretty heavy workload, but some of it was probably a bit difficult. I speak three languages (and a half), and I'm usually good at coming up with solutions on the fly. I also took an actual IQ test once, which put me at 133.

However, my spatial awareness is probably average, since I tend to get lost pretty easily, and I'm prettttty terrible at math, but overall I think my intelligence is above average. I don't say that to brag, but it just is what it is. I didn't put in any work to be 'this smart', I didn't earn it, so what is there to brag about? It's just a combination of my upbringing and genetics. But since you asked :) And it doesn't mean that my above average intelligence makes me a better person than someone who just happens to be less quick on their feet, it just..is what it is.

Also, there are quite a few people (a lot) smarter than me. My CEO is so thoughtful and eloquent, I'm always pleasantly surprised with how articulate and concise he communicates things. And an ex of mine who did a PhD on something oncology related constantly floored me with the fact that we could have a conversation I would struggle with, and in the meantime she would think about what to eat that night. It was impressive and awesome.

y3k

Oct 25, 2017
Officially I'm only 106, buuuuut that was a test taken when I was like, 6 as well as way lower functioning than I am now. Combine that with me being a piss-poor test taker in general and I usually assume I'm somewhere in the one-teens or low one-twenties.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't feel too bad about feeling humbled by physics; it goes against all intuition. My professor had us answer physics questions throughout his lectures to apply each principle or to test our intuition before learning a principle, and we'd answer with our handheld clickers. We would usually be more wrong that right as a group, and he said a couple of times that he's asked the same questions to a room full of professional physists and most of them chose the wrong answers too. Physics is quite a mind fuck.

Agreed, and basing your intelligence on your performance in one area or subject is ludicrous. I loved programming in high school but never got above a B-, however, I was indifferent to French and would get A's. similarly, I tried hard in math and would get low A's or B's, but then forget about studying for English and still get an A or A+. My grades in most science classes were pretty average and chemistry in particular really fucked me up. If I based my intelligence on my ability to do chemistry and programming, I'd consider myself a lost cause. Just need to find the thing that you're both apt for and interested in, as difficult as that may be.

You can be a teacher or a doctor or lawyer or engineer and be an idiot—your skill set is just specialized.

I'm in law school and ain't this the fuckin' truth. Most of my friends have engineering degrees and sometimes I look at them getting wasted while laughing about Minecraft memes and think... "is it really going to be you who's building the bridges I drive my car over? Oh no." lol

Oct 31, 2017
Don't feel too bad about feeling humbled by physics; it goes against all intuition. My professor had us answer physics questions throughout his lectures to apply each principle or to test our intuition before learning a principle, and we'd answer with our handheld clickers. We would usually be more wrong that right as a group, and he said a couple of times that he's asked the same questions to a room full of professional physists and most of them chose the wrong answers too. Physics is quite a mind fuck.
Yeah ,most people were in the same boat as me .The thing was there were about three dudes their that were getting everything really well.These guys were all in a league of their own .Physics was new to me .I had had no exposure to it beforehand, so it really caught by suprise.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I am suprised by all the people proclaiming that they are above average. We got some smart people in here.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
IQ range from 127 to 135, according to the university I studied in.

But that was 15 years ago.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here is another nugget to show how unless your Einstein or Hawking it's pretty subjective.

I was legit reading Novels at 5 years old and at 10 when my vocabulary was tested the tester amazed at my scores kept pushing and it averaged out to me being on the level of a college sophomore. However, that testing was just a formality they do before throwing you in bad kid school, which I never even bothered finishing.

Big whoop and all that.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. That said, I'm also smart enough to know I'm not perfect, and there are things other people know better than me.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
I am tested below average, in IQ tests... Not a great label to have, but still managed a Masters degree and being well off, compared to others who scored higher than myself. You can get far with hard work and focus.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Academic intelligence - Definitely well above average. STEM and arts degrees. I don't work hard but I pretend to work hard and do better than everyone else.
Mathematical intelligence - Definitely (Just missed out on representing a nation at the international math olympiad)
Emotional intelligence - getting there... I can fake it quite well.
Adaptable intelligence - definitely.

IQ tests are bunk. I scored ridiculously high when I took them as a child.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
According to my IQ test I am.

I don't feel that way, though, but then I have anxiety and imposter syndrome with pretty much everything I do.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that poll. Given the number of questionable hygiene (and social) threads...people are over-estimating their intelligence.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Everyone else considers myself extremely higher than average intelligence, because that is the truth.

However, if you ask me, I consider myself below average intelligence, because I am very humble and do not like to boast.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
What can be considered as intelligence is so uncertain to me, that I can only answer "No" as a result

65% of Era answering Yes is not surprising at all, heh

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
65% of Era answering Yes is not surprising at all, heh

I was actually surprised. I believe 100% of Era is above average intelligence, because I assume "average" is taken over the general public.

Come to think of it: ~50% of the general public in the USA voted for Trump.
Unless the other 50% are all geniuses, then the average intelligence must be very low, and it should be very easy to be above average intelligence (in the USA).

0NiMzAm.png

Last edited:

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I've been labelled an intellectual by many which is always nice to hear hah

I know I'm above average but also know that there are people much more intelligent than I am and to surround myself with these type of people.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I got kicked out of school with a few GCSEs but now I have a PhD so I dunno. Education is not for me so I guess by coventional standards I'm thicker than the average.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I did well at school and score high on tests, but the real eye opener was working retail.
People are so fucking dumb.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck it. I'm above average intelligence. I gotta stop selling myself short.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Maybe, biggest thing holding me back is my laziness. And it's not that I'd think I'm highly intelligent as I'm definitely not, just that the average isn't that bright. I'm not mathematically talented or anything, but I'd score myself somewhat high on emotional/social intelligence. Does it count?

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, but I am able to learn everything I want to which is more than enough for me. Sometimes I am stupid, sometimes I am clever - so average.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I try to avoid championing some notion that I am a genius (both for Dunning-Kruger reasons and because it's obnoxious), but that said, I got subjected to a lot of (in theory accurate) testing in my younger years as my parents/doctors tried to figure out what was "wrong" with me because I was obviously smart, but not doing well in school.

The eventual answer was depression among other things, but that took time to figure out with mid-90s resources. In the meantime, we just got confirmation over and over that I was an outlier on every test they gave me, putting me in the 99th or 99.9th percentile for everything (IIRC, lots of math and English evals, some emotional intelligence, etc) and at one point getting an IQ test that put me in a similar category.

So yes, I'm above average. How far is hard to say. It has at times been burdensome and frustrating in lots of ways. My general interest as a human being is to use whatever I have to better people's lives, ideally in personal, one-on-one kinds of ways. Down the road once my kids are off to college, I plan on going back for a graduate degree and going into therapy as a profession. Deep down, I think my parents still lament my not living up to my "potential" because they imagine that if I just worked hard enough, I'd be some Einstein-level world-changing genius.