• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Consider Yourself Above Average Intelligence?

• Yes

Votes: 840 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 470 35.9%

• Total voters

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
If you say things with enough conviction you will sound smart. That's my motto.

I'm average smart I guess. But I feel like most of the time I'm talking out of my ass if I think about it after.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
If standardized tests like the GRE are any indication, yes, but not amazingly so.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you'd think a forum full of 6'10, 160 iq people with 10 inch dongs would be more secure and adjusted to the real world.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. Have you ever delt with the public?!?

Nov 14, 2017
Like, I don't know how to answer this poll at all.

If we're talking standardised IQ tests then yes, I'm likely more intelligent than you (yes, even you two sigmas out there).

If we're talking just general every day smarts, then no. I've done the dumbest things with my life.

The way I look at it, you have to be really smart to be really stupid. Most people don't even have the bad ideas I've had, and wouldn't know how to go about executing them if they did.

But having said that, I'm still here. So, I guess I figured out how to live life sensibly after all? So maybe I'm kinda smart still. I think uncertainty about these things is the best attitude; it's not so much intelligence that matters as the wisdom to see your limits.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'm a programmer so compared to 99.9% of the population I'm better at that but overall who knows, depends what you're testing it on.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I have an above average memory and reading comprehension based on testing but I don't feel any smarter than anyone else here. Tests are just tests. It's all about how you apply yourself.

If you're lazy and close minded whatever potential you had is wasted regardless of your IQ.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. I read a lot, do well in my job, and pick things up fairly quickly.

At the same time, I have done some pretty damned stupid things in my life.

I'm no Einstein, but I'm no Homer Simpson either, I guess.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you use as a metric of intelligence. I see myself as pretty average, all things considered.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm an idiot but then at any job I've had I really notice how fucking stupid most people actually are. I have no idea where I actually stand.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
It's probably more important to be intellectually curious than it is to be 'smart', anyways.
Interesting you should say that. I tell people all the time that I consider curiosity to be one of the biggest tells when it comes to intelligence. Similarly, how do people react when they find out they were wrong about something. Do they want to know why and learn more, or do they, for example, get angry? That kind of thing.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I'm assuming most people here are men in their late 20's/ early 30's with Bachelor's degrees, so I'd guess most of ERA is pretty smart, demographically-speaking.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Surely if you are on Era you are already smarter than the average bear?

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Actually had an IQ test administered years ago and, on paper, yes I am.

But intelligence is fluid and non-linear, so treating it like it can be understood that way is dumb. Most popular methods of assessing intelligence and personality like IQ test and Myers Briggs is weak at best and total horseshit at worst.

We're all morons. It's ok.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I guess I'm average. Some things I'm quite ressourceful, others I suck at tremendously. I'll vote no because there is no "in-between" option in this poll and frankly I'd feel incredibly pretentious to assume I am more intelligent than most.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Do they want to know why and learn more, or do they, for example, get angry? That kind of thing.

This is definitely a problem on the internet and even here, unfortunately. Willful, almost proud ignorance and lack of curiosity.

"Martin Scorsese's favorite film list has these movies I don't know...h-he's pretentious! Why would I watch these old white guy movies! Speed Racer is better than anything Bergman ever made!"

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Testing throughout the course of my life has indicated that I am above average when it comes to intelligence. That said there are different kinds of intelligence that aren't always picked up in testing.

Emotional and social intelligence for example are really important, but are rarely perceived as such. I'm pretty good when it comes to the former, but I'm lacking in the latter. That's probably why I socialize fairly well in small group settings (about 4 people not including me), but stumble when more people are involved.

Last edited:

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
With the people I deal with and their level of intelligence I question how they function. Trump voters, brexit, the Philippines, Brazil, Etc. All has made my opinion on humanity severely bleak.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
lmao at poll results

no way are all you maniacs above average intelligence. i've seen the dumb shit you post on the internet!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I was actually surprised. I believe 100% of Era is above average intelligence, because I assume "average" is taken over the general public.

Come to think of it: ~50% of the general public in the USA voted for Trump.
Unless the other 50% are all geniuses, then the average intelligence must be very low, and it should be very easy to be above average intelligence (in the USA).

0NiMzAm.png

To be fair you can be smart and vote for someone like trump or bolsonaro
you can be very rich and have no soul or empathy, for example

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I´m working on my PhD and I´m rather good at solution-oriented thinking, so I´m "probably" above average intelligence in an academical sense BUT i dont really feel like i am really smarter than most other people. I think its more that western education and academia simply favors the way my brain tends to go about solving problems.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what task, subject, social situation, etc, etc. Current society still maintains a shallow view of intelligence.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now if you asked if I'm particularly smart I'd say definitely no. I'm an idiot. But everyone who can put together coherent, grammatically correct sentences would likely be above the 50% line if we're going by knowledge base and not some metric like "ability to learn if motivated and given the proper environment". A large percentage of Americans think the Earth is flat, 9/11 was an inside job, etc.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a professor/researcher and I'm probably bellow average. Who knows. Sometimes I have a decent logical thinking and can grasp things quickly, sometimes I'm the dumbest person ever.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
After working in customer services (no longer do it) I realised how stupid some people can be.

So yup I consider myself on the upper bounds of it

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
What do you mean by "intelligence"?

I think I'm fairly above average when it comes to emotional intelligence, but only about average with intellectual intelligence.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I thought I was for the longest time, but only recently did I come to the realization that I'm kind of a bag of hammers.

Just one more example of the puffed up ego someone can get when their parents tell them they are super smart and special as a kid simply because he can read a little better than his elementary school classmates, I suppose.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I have average intelligence when it comes to most things, but in certain subjects I may know a little more than most but then again most of that is just useless trivia that anybody could learn so I suppose my intellect is quite dull overall.

Some of my classmates and teachers back in the day said I was smart but they were were probably just mocking me or trying to be nice. I don't even know to be honest.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely have above average intelligence. I was a "gifted kid" but I personally place more value in critical thinking, analysis, and curiosity than I do school success and grades. To me having an education just means you had the means and encouragement to get one.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I had the highest marks in my grade in high school (although my year in general were poor achievers) and I'm a professional engineer so I think so.

I probably have below average social intelligence though.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
book smarts - no

social interactions, reading people / body language, common sense / judgement - yes