• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Consider Yourself Above Average Intelligence?

• Yes

Votes: 840 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 470 35.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yes, and I think most here are above average as well. Just go to any Facebook comments section or any news website comments section if you want to see below average intelligence.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
People by and large are smarter than we give them credit for, we just need to approach them with language and rhetoric that fits their upbringing and mindset. Our major failure as a society is our inability to communicate with others in a non-transactional way. Those problems fester over time, hence people on Facebook who have no media literacy or publicly harass women.

That being said, customers are the dumbest people in the world and people have a nasty habit of turning their brains off the second they enter a business. And people wearing Joker/Harley Suicide Squad shirts might as well be wearing a dunce cap and a big sign that says "I hit."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm probably slap bang in the middle. I make a lot of strange common sense errors and I'm not very observant, but I tend to be pretty good with numbers. I'm also pretty lazy and can't concentrate usually unless it's something that interests me.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm smart, at least not anymore as I'm getting older.

But surely still above average. I used to work at a customer facing job and you wouldn't believe how dumb people can be.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I'm smart enough to get paid what I do at my job and that's all that matters. Whether I'm smarter than the average person or not is of no concern.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm smarter than I actually am. In real life, I'm actually just good at looking reasonably intelligent.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time assessing how stupid other people are. I can only tell if someone is smart, competent (average), or batshit insane.

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of this public poll is looking for some chuckleheads in the Yes list and finding a couple.
vVkoPPU.gif

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I didn't answer the poll but I would say it depends on the subject or topic. I did better than average in school but there are a lot of subjects that I know almost nothing about or have very little skills in, like reading people's body language or non-verbal cues, so on the whole it evens out.

Although it is quite common, thinking you are smarter than other people is probably not a good thing in the long run and is not conducive to a good relationship, work environment, or even country.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I'm smart in ways that dont matter but I have nothing practical in my head so I consider myself an idiot.

This is me. There's nothing there lol. I'm pretty smart when writing stuff down though. It's like my brain is only activated through hand motion. To borrow a Pauline Kael phrase - "I only think with a pencil in my hand".

Last edited:

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
I was recognized as highly intelligent as a child and I skipped kindergarten and went straight to 1st grade. This was the 80s and they would not do this now because of the negative effect it has on social development and I can certainly attest to that. I started college at 17. I had no problem taking a calculus class at 16. I barely studied in high school yet it was rare that I didn't get A's. Things just seem to click naturally for me. Even today, I feel like I catch on quickly and I'm just as sharp as I was in my early 20s.

So yes, I do believe I have above average intelligence.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I know for a fact i am IQ-wise (gifted program kid even though my parents not really good at guiding me haha--they nevertheless were proud) but I am a moron or fool in my own special way as well.

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know if my IQ is higher than the average, but I'm sure that I have more common sense.

That and the fact that I have highly developed soft skills make me feel smarter than your average Joe.

Don't know if that's actually true, but hey, I can feel whatever I want xD

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
I was recognized as highly intelligent as a child and I skipped kindergarten and went straight to 1st grade. This was the 80s and they would not do this now because of the negative effect it has on social development and I can certainly attest to that. I started college at 17. I had no problem taking a calculus class at 16. I barely studied in high school yet it was rare that I didn't get A's. Things just seem to click naturally for me. Even today, I feel like I catch on quickly and I'm just as sharp as I was in my early 20s.

So yes, I do believe I have above average intelligence.

91sYYXmtMbL._RI_.jpg

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
The poll results are probably generally correct. ERA is going to lean above average in intelligence compared to the general population. If you have managed to complete college, you probably have at least 110 IQ. And yes, many many above average intelligent people are still dense as rocks sometimes. Even in my gifted classes, which was for kids showing IQ scores in the 98th percentile and above (~125+ IQ), many of them were regularly and still are dumbasses or had antisocial and behavioral problems if not also mental illness lol (like me).

Some of you just have poor self-esteem and the world isn't exactly made for outliers anyway, so you may feel a bit socially incapacitated, making you feel even less intelligent (and ostracized and depressed).

Anyway, because I yam elitist, I will automatically have +5 respect for anyone smart and will want to be friends--hello smartypantses, be friends with me! This is easily erased by other qualities though lol.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I really don't know.
In an academic sense, I'm an idiot. I don't do well in the schooling system.
And normally, I would consider myself stupid all around, but then you meet someone who is an actual idiot, and you rethink just how smart you really are.
If you ever meet a guy who thinks he can telepathically control ants, have a good chat with him, it'll make you feel better about yourself.

Even then, he was profoundly thick, so I'm still gonna vote no.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I do consider myself with an above average intelligence, but I'm also the laziest person I know. So I feel like I wasted most of my potential by passing college with minimum grades a,d now on work, just putting effort on hte last days of each project.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Above Average Intelligence is such a vague statement. The concept of intelligence in itself is somewhat flexible, are we talking about emotional intelligence, academic intelligence, common sense, knowing a lot of facts etc. In some categories I consider myself knowledgeable and in others I don't.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This forum skews young, liberal and educated compared with the general populace. We had a poll here a few months back that (if accurate) showed this forum having a much higher level of educational attainment than the average US citizen. Unless there's a better metric than educational attainment to gauge this with then I think it's safe to say that the thread's poll is probably accurate.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. Multiple intelligences is definitely a thing and I am lacking in some areas that others excel at and I am strong in areas others are lacking.

I've always thought that pure academic smarts aren't as important as a willingness to learn and grow.

Oct 25, 2017
Not in the slightest. I have no skillset, no talent, not very knowledgeable about anything, etc
I never retain anything I learn and I have the attention span of a gnat. I get by, but barely.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even know how this is truly defined. I know a number of surgeons who are incredibly smart in their field, but dumb in many other aspects of life. Ben Carson would be a great example of this.

I know others who are incredibly well read, wise, emotionally stable, but haven't implemented their abilities into anything to get them a job or any movement in life.

I don't like this question frankly. It distills a quality down to something that I'm not entirely sure is as measurable as people think.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is no meaningful measure of intelligence and cannot ever be because any metric used will inevitably be too simplistic and biased and leave out worthwhile forms of intelligence. While I'm more educated than the average person I wouldn't ever claim to be smarter or more intelligent than the average person. Simply the fact that I can only fluently speak English is probably not a good sign, let alone my clear issues with emotional and social intelligence

Last edited:

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Every person who has commented on my level of intelligence has said something along the lines of "Wow you are really smart", so I voted yes because of that.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I would think that people who take the time to engage and debate on a forum about whatever topic and are least a little smarter on average than those who aren't involved in any type of discourse at all.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I feel like the tone used is important.

Surprised tone mainly, and it is usually when we converse about things they believe others know little about or they have never heard the level of deep commentary I give. People also think I am younger than I am too so that could be part of it lol