• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brand loyalty?

• Are you kidding me?

Votes: 1,378 69.5%
  • PlayStation is my life

Votes: 258 13.0%
  • Xbox rocks my world

Votes: 63 3.2%
  • Nintendo to rule them all

Votes: 191 9.6%
  • PC Master Race

Votes: 92 4.6%

• Total voters

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I had every Playstation console, so I'm "loyal".

It doesn't mean I would buy a PS5 if the only game was Bubsy 3D.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. Corporations give zero shits about me. Why should I give a shit about them? I use their product and I move on with my life. Forming loyalty to an impossibly huge multi-billion dollar corporation just seems... I don't know, sad?

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I had every Playstation console, so I'm "loyal".

It doesn't mean I would buy a PS5 if the only game was Bubsy 3D.

You are brand loyal by definition.
And now trust comes into play: are you trusting Sony enough that they'll deliver a proper PS5 with a proper games library, so you already look forward to buy it and not a competitor's product? Then you're a prospective brand loyalist.

And all of that is perfectly reasonable.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
I'm definitely loyal to Nintendo for games. I buy basically any Nintendo title in the Kirby, Zelda, Xenoblade, and Fire Emblem series sight unseen. 100% I'll buy a Splatoon 3 without even seeing a trailer.

Sony I'd say I'm loyal, but wavering. I just grew up primarily with Playstations in the house. My family had nearly every console from the NES onwards, but the PS2 is probably the console that got me to play the most games. PS3 had me foraying into multiplayer games for the first time, it's the reason I begged my parents to get a wi-fi router. Sony did the most to shape my taste in games. PS4 just further cemented things until the last few months where my main group of friends and I have transitioned over to PC. I might get a PS5, I might not. Depends on the games, no doubt it'll be primarily a single player machine for me these days. A Bloodborne 2 sells me a console. Ghosts of Tsushima is a cool looking title. I have zero interest in Last of Us 2 or another Horizon.

nix6

Oct 28, 2017
This is badly setup poll. It is a yes/no question with multiple poll answers. It should just be: "yes i am brand loyal" and "no..."

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I have an XB1X, a PS4, a Switch, and a PC. So uh no. I usually go the first few years of a gen with 1 console though, usually PlayStation.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I've bought every Playstation but thats because I like what they offer. I realize Sony is not my friend and only cares about money.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
It's a bit of a complicated question for me..while I'm not a mindless fanboy who discredits everything the other companies make, I do tend to lean more towards the PlayStation brand. Last gen I owned both PS3 and X360 and when my PS3 died on me I was left with my 360 for 2 years and while I did game a lot on it I found myself looking after news in the PS communities even though I didn't own one...

This gen is similar in that I do most of my gaming on PC but still follow PS news and get excited about stuff related to it.

So...brand loyal? Well kind of. Fanboy? Fuck no!

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. I love Nintendo but I won't buy something just cos its Nintendo.

Loved my PS2 but then switched to 360. Loved 360 but then went to PS4. Next gen I go with whatever I feel is best for me.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
Nope. The platform/hardware is a means to an end: to play great games. Because I have so little time to play I simply chose the platform(s) that let me play the games that most appeal. Right now that is PlayStation, PC and Switch. Microsoft's commitment to Windows ports has made it easier to not buy an Xbox, and Switch remains my preferred platform due to portability. Leaving PlayStation for Sony's exclusives.

I am genuinely bewildered by folks so seemingly committed to a massive corporation, i.e. traditional fanboys. It's a real head-scratcher.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's always been all about PlayStation, the idea of brand loyalty is still weird to me.

I don't blindly fuck with them or some shit.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I've had every Nintendo home console since the GameCube. Never bought their handhelds.

Probably would have skipped Wii U if it wasn't backwards compatible and so good for couch co-op.

After Wii U I was going to wait on Switch until all those Breath of the Wild reviews hit, ended up buying one day one.

I'll probably buy a Switch 2 as long as it's backwards compatible because my experience with Switch has been good so far (except with joy-con drift).

I already have a PC, so PS/Xbox are a bit redundant. Nintendo's consoles have been okay, but I'm a huge fan of 3D Mario, Zelda, and Fire Emblem so if I want to play those then a Nintendo console is pretty much necessary.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I own a Switch and PS4. I would own an Xbox One if I could justify it at this stage in the gen. I like them all.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Ive owned every Playstation console and will continue to do so unless given a reason not to. I have a lot of faith in PlayStation built up over 20 years. That doesn't stop me from buying other companies games/consoles or compel me to defend their bad decisions.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brand loyalty doesn't mean brand exclusive and it surely doesn't mean being a fanboy.

The poll is silly so I understand why most are picking 'are you kidding me' but I can tell you the console brand the majority of posters prefer just by their post histories.

Even if you claim you are just about the games or developers those are brands too. Naughtydog, bungie, Blizzard, FF, WoW, Halo it's all the same thing. You are loyal to checking out those games or developers based on past experience which includes your enjoyment of said products and the emotional responses associated with them. I know everyone likes to pretend they are an objective robot but the push back on the OPs premise in this thread is nauseating.

Let some of you tell it and one would think you have never done a repeat purchase of any product in your life.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being loyal to a brand makes no sense to me all hail glorious marketing department.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, that's just semantics. Brand loyalty for me doesn't mean that I'll blindly follow Nintendo, just as I said in the post you quoted. If Nintendo put their games on other consoles, I would get other consoles because those are the games I prefer. It would still be "loyalty", but not in the sense of blindly following, just in the sense that they are the ones that make my favorite games.

So, yeah, you can say brand loyalty is objectively stupid, but I disagree because I don't even agree with you on what the term means. Thus, it is judgemental when someone says something is objectively wrong when that something might be subjective, as we are talking about preferences.

Anyway, Era has a lot of theae people that judge others and try to shame them, and it's really sad because when I joined this forum, I did because it seemed, at the time, that people were left-leaning and open to conversation. Nowadays, I see a lot of hate, a lot of judgement, even from leftists, which is disappointing to say the least.

Guess people prefer to be demeaning instead of actually reading other people's opinion and giving their opinion in a respectful manner. Tired of posts calling others stupid.
Naw it's not judgmental. Some things are objectively not in your best interest and brands want to convince you they are.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
For video games? absolutely, I have owned every single PS hardware minus VR and every single Nintendo portable minus switch. But that is mostly because it holds the content I want to play and have come to expect from said brands.

I don't see myself being loyal to brands in any other area of my life I wonder why lol.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
"Don't ask questions just consume product and then get excited for next products."

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be honest, the poll results aren't what I was expecting on this forum. I thought Sony would be much higher.

Because people are absolutely full of shit. I guarantee you 80% of the people who voted for that option, if you go through their post history, are OBVIOUSLY brand loyal. But admitting you suck at the teet of a corporation would require intense self reflection.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. But right now my fav. games are on PS4 and WiiU and Switch. There are also great games on Xbox and PC though... Limited time and funds. And Xbox / Microsoft royally fucked up in The Netherlands this gen. But that's on them.
It's completely bizar that people identify themselves with brands. Brands that don't give a FUCK about them, by the way.