• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brand loyalty?

• Are you kidding me?

Votes: 1,378 69.5%
  • PlayStation is my life

Votes: 258 13.0%
  • Xbox rocks my world

Votes: 63 3.2%
  • Nintendo to rule them all

Votes: 191 9.6%
  • PC Master Race

Votes: 92 4.6%

• Total voters

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
My current console history with the Big Three is exactly 3 Nintendo systems, 3 Playstations(not counting Pro or VR), and 3 Xboxes(not counting RRODs), with PC and some handhelds smattered about. So no, I'll happily play anywhere.

I was a Sega & Playstation kid 100%, but didn't miss a beat when Sega died and didn't own a Playstation console for nearly a decade (Gen 7).

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
well for me it was PC -> Xbox 360 -> PC -> Nintendo Switch

I don't think up until now in the past 13 years of me being a gamer you can count me as a loyal consumer

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
No

I buy what I want and when I want

Though I usually buy Nintendo, Sony or PC related gaming media but it doesn't mean I buy every single thing or engage in a specific type of platform

For an example I never bought the virtual boy, ps Vita, etc

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
For a long time I was a diehard Xbox fanboy. But for some years now I don't really care about brands, keeping my focus on games only. The one brand loyalty I have nowadays is Apple, because of the quality of their products. They sure are expensive, but the experience they offer is worth every cent.
Why not just make a poll option as "No," rather than "Are you kidding me?" Makes it sound like people with no particular loyalty have a rather strong opinion of brand loyalty.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
No, I'm wealthy. I go where the games I want to play are, and where the best experience I can have is.

Generally speaking, that means PC for everything multi-plat and PC exclusive because my PC is far superior to any console on the market, now and when the next console generation starts, to be quite frank. I buy the respective console exclusives on those platforms based on my interest. I don't think that makes me loyal to PC; simply pragmatic.

Oct 29, 2017
The thing about brand loyalty is that you are probably not even aware of how loyal you are.

Few people would proclaim to be ardant die-hard fanboys, but I bet many of you are...

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably get Playstation as long as they can still play games, so yes tbh.

I'm not perfect though. I've strayed. I have a lot of affection for Nintendo as well but the sad truth is that they'll always be in the corner, waiting for me to leave Playstation, but knowing deep down that I'll never love them quite as much or be able to give them what they deserve. I swear I never meant to hurt anyone.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If you say you're automatically going to buy a PS5 over an Xbox without knowing a single detail about the PS5 or its games, then you're brand loyal.

Or you're heavily invested in their ecosystems/services. I have ~300 digital games on PS4 vs. ~50 on XB1, and the XB1 will give me access to all new XGS releases for a couple of years. Leaning PS5 in my situation is pragmatism not brand loyalty. Though obviously if Sony announced some deal breaker with PS5, I wouldn't ignore it due loyalty.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
when I was poor I used to stick exclusively to Nintendo but now that I can afford it, why not play everything? i'd be missing out on some great games otherwise.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Im primarilly a playstation boy

Buti don have a xbox and mid tier gaming pc
Im waitung to get a sweet deal on a switch but im struggling to find games i wanna play on it on top of Platinum Games and Smash Bros

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean personally, I am loyal to the Xbox to a certain extent because that is what I grew up playing and I'm already in the ecosystem since I have two more years of Gamepass Ultimate, I am a fan of the games on the platform, and I already have the controllers to be able to play a 4 player game of Zombies on BO5 or Slayer on Halo Infinite on Series X day one, and right now I see no real reason to buy a PS5 at launch since the games I want to play will be on Xbox. So in that regard, I am loyal to playing on Xbox. But my loyalty to Xbox is more a move of practicality than anything else.

That being said however, I do have a decent gaming PC still that I use to play a lot of games and I am also more than ready to buy a PS5 within the next few years especially if its backwards compatible with older games.

Additionally, I feel this is a stupid question to ask, because I feel like everybody has a preferred platform to play their multiplatform games, and barring some major fuckup, that is most likely going to stay a given person's preferred brand as time goes on and generations change

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
90a.jpg

Hell no, that's silly

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Well kind of. I consider myself a fan of Sony consoles or products in general (TV and BT headphones are from them). Usually like their exclusive games the most. Then again I buy every console and have a powerful PC. I love gaming too much to limit myself to one console's games. Still, I like news of the PS brand doing well, but even more I love hearing about the gaming scene doing well in general

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loyal to whichever platform offers the best place to play videogames on. Which to my mind is without question on pc. As long as that remains the case, I'll stay "loyal" to pc gaming

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Not gonna lie, I'm mainly PlayStation, and will always buy in to that brand. But not to the loss of the others. I've been buying Xbox since the beginning, and have had Nintendo since N64 days.

Im considering not getting Xbox next gen and I sold my switch, but would never not have PlayStation.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted PlayStation in the poll but it's not a blind loyalty, just that I've enjoyed their games on every platform they've released so far. Because of that I'm likely to buy a PS5 even if all the games aren't there out of the gate.
But it's not blind fanboyism I don't think, Mario Odyssey is probably my favourite game this gen.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
everyone is brand loyal even if they don't admit it, if there ever came a time they could only have 1 option then they would choose the one they like most in everything

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Loyal in the sense that, at some point during each generation I'll eventually own all of the consoles. However, at the beginning of each gen I pick the one that has the best value proposition first and wait for sales/hardware revisions for the rest. And I tend to build a new gaming pc every over generation. So, I'm loyal to everything!

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I used to be a rabid Playstation platform warrior when I was younger, but then I realized it's dumb as shit to champion a corporation.

Now I'm pretty mercenary about my entertainment, I follow the games/value proposition.

Oct 27, 2017
I main Playstation for convenience and they had the best exclusives for a while (plus I like the themes on PS3 and PS4). I play PC for indie games or older games usually, though with a now upgraded PC I'll try more AAA on it. I play Nintendo for Nintendo games

For me it's just convenience and where the best games are, not the brand. If Xbox has the best games next generation then I'll happily get one.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I will always have a Nintendo system because they make Zelda and I can't get it anywhere else.

Between Sony and MS, it comes down to 1st party games since most 3rd party games are on both, and currently, Sony is winning in that department for me.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
I love all systems originally I was a Sega/PC guy I Started PC gaming back in 92 on my hewlett packard used to play prince of Persia, Oregon Trail and Legend of the Red Dragon. PlayStation means a lot to me Xbox and Nintendo but if Sega was still around I'd have to answer this question differently than I did Xbox to me I'd a spiritual successor to Sega so I tend to play there more but nothing beats SEGA

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Not really. It comes down to the games that appeal to me. I grew up having every primary console, but over the last decade or so the only games that I wanted have been on Sony and Nintendo consoles. I haven't had an Xbox since the original, but almost grabbed a 360 until the game I wanted was ported over to PS3.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Brand loyalty is stupid. I care about the games and the hardware, I don't give a crap who puts them out or who develops them. If they're good, they're good.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
The concept of "loyalty" to a case containing a CPU and GPU, (or APU in the case of this generation), and some RAM on a motherboard with a power supply in tow is so utterly absurd to me. I hate brands in general, I won't wear anything with branding on it as I'm not a billboard, and I buy whatever product suits my needs. I.E., I buy and utilize all consoles, as well as a beloved pc.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I guess that depends on how you define loyalty. Because, for me, in the case of Nintendo games I will continue to play them like I always have for the foreseeable future.

So if you view it like that, then yes I'm "loyal" to Nintendo I suppose. But if you mean "defend everything the company does and unconditionally buy their products," then no I'm not. But yes, I'm willing to tolerate more from them in order to play their games.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Ironically, the launch of PS1 ended my brand loyalty. I was ready to throw down for Sega at recess but then Sony came along, a company not known for games but rather the skipping cd walkman I used. After that, it was whatever system that had games I was into altho it usually tended to be Playstation anyway.

As an aging human, I go to whichever company for whatever product that best serves my interests and that can change at any time.

Theron

Oct 28, 2017
I'm brand loyal to Sony, but it is based on the quality of console exclusive games they release year after year that I just love to play. I guess if the quality and quantity of those games where to go down, or if it was games I did not care to play so much, then my brand loyalty would also start to suffer.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I only have a PS4 and Switch, but if the Xbox offered a lineup that appealed to me more, I'd jump ship. I don't care about brand loyalty, whoever is going to offer me the best value for me.