• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying @ launch?

• Yes

Votes: 1,570 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 1,830 53.8%

• Total voters

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Not surprised by the poll split. I think people are starting to finally wisen up to Kojimas pretentious ego filled self on full display.
Preach!

A friend of mine said it best. Kojima is one of those game designers who needs people around him saying no. Without that, he flies off the handle and comes up with incoherent rubbish, narrative and game play mechanic wise, that is only appealing to him and a small microcosm of the gaming population as a whole.

I'm passing on DS at launch and pretty much in perpetuity because it sounds like a total dumpster fire.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Preach!

A friend of mine said it best. Kojima is one of those game designers who needs people around him saying no. Without that, he flies off the handle and comes up with incoherent rubbish, narrative and game play mechanic wise, that is only appealing to him and a small microcosm of the gaming population as a whole.

I'm passing on DS at launch and pretty much in perpetuity because it sounds like a total dumpster fire.

Death Stranding is the #1 Best Seller on Amazon for PS4 games, beating out CoD, and #8 for Video Games overall.

Small microcosm of the gaming pop? C'mon lol

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm leaving for Europe in a week so it makes no sense to buy a game I won't have any time for in the near future. I should be smart and see if there is a Black Friday sale price or when I actually have time to play it.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Yup, it looks like a unique experience at the very least. Plus it's divisive, which makes me even more interested in playing it.

Not to mention it looks pretty chill at times, which is great

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I confirmed my pre-order last week. Got my whole weekend planned out around playing DS all day.

Apr 3, 2018
Nope.

I had the Big Baby Edition pre-ordered when it was first announced. But the reviews came and made the whole thing sound like a chore. Cancelled the pre-order, and now have no desire to play this one.

I expect a certain level of weirdness (good) and pretentiousness (not so good) in Kojima games, but this one just sounds like it's a slog. Kudos to those who will play it and have some transcendental experience; I'm sitting this one out.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
I've been disappointed with every Kojima game since MGS 3. I loved MGS 1 and 2.
MGS 4 and MGS V were peak self indulgent wankery.

Will probably pick it up when its a tenner.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

We all bitch that AAA games are becoming cookie-cutter retreads. Kojima is trying something different, and even if I don't end up loving the end result (I still think I'll like the game, despite its flaws), I want to big publishers to take some more chances.

My Name is John Marston

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Preach!

And what's the problem with that? Not all games have to appeal to everyone.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Preloaded it already on my PS4

Wasnt really hyped before the reviews, but now my hype is really high

Im really curious to see how many copies are going to be sold.

Announcing the PC version before release was such an idiotic decision, like holy shit

They are probably going to lose so many copies from people that would otherwise double dip

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah. Maybe if I had nothing else to play right now I'd consider it, but I'm going on Vacation the week after next and I expect this game to have some kind of Black Friday discount, so I'll wait til I get back at least.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

We all bitch that AAA games are becoming cookie-cutter retreads. Kojima is trying something different, and even if I don't end up loving the end result (I still think I'll like the game, despite its flaws), I want to big publishers to take some more chances.
But it's a disaster my friend. A disappointing game with only 45 "+90 scores".

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have it pre-ordered and have a safe way to get most of my money back if need be. I'll give it a fair shot before I decide it's worth the whole playthrough

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
Pc at launch if it gets a physical edition. I'm still on the fence about securing a collector's edition for consoles now, as other big games (like gta v and rdr 2) have shown, the delayed pc version doesn't get its own physical CE anymore.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My finger was hovering on the order button but I still have too many damn games in my backlog.

I'll definitely be buying Disco Elysium first. I suspect I'll be buying Death Stranding the first time it's discounted.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope,

I might pick it up when it's super cheap just to kind of experience it for myself but with the exception of the online footprint stuff (which sounds great) everything I've heard and read about the game makes it sound like an absolute chore to play.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game looks dull as fuck and as it's a PS4 game, it'll be £20 before long. They hardly hold any value.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
I'll pick it up cheap on a Steam sale if it comes there. I never buy AAA games day one though. Always tend to be disappointed if I do.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
Took off friday for it and will probably buy it again on PC. I'm fully on board for whatever dumb bullshit kojima wants to do.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
The follow up question to this thread should be "Did the marketing turn you off from this game, or was it just Kojima?"

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Finally gonna buy the digital tonight so it'll be nice and downloaded for thursday night.

Wasn't waiting for anything in particular, I'm a bonafide kojima cocksucker, but there's no good reason to pre-order digital games.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Changed my vote to no. I thought Kojima would be a sure shot, but hearing about the game length and general tedium means I'll be passing for now.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is the #1 Best Seller on Amazon for PS4 games, beating out CoD, and #8 for Video Games overall.

Small microcosm of the gaming pop? C'mon lol

So, how many that preordered it have played it yet? The poster you quoted isn't technically wrong for now.

I've been disappointed with every Kojima game since MGS 3. I loved MGS 1 and 2.
MGS 4 and MGS V were peak self indulgent wankery.

Will probably pick it up when its a tenner.

This is me as well. I'll also eventually be getting it, but solely for superficial reasons on PC, and only when there's a deep discount.