• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying @ launch?

• Yes

Votes: 1,570 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 1,830 53.8%

• Total voters

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I can get my game tomorrow. Hyped through the roof.

Also, today I wondered how the game plays while being offline? How much impact does the online/offline aspect have on the game? Being about connection and stuff.

Didn't read any previews, so I'm not up to date.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I am, and the only factor that could have pushed me to cancel the preorder was my dissapointment with mgsv (couldn't care less about reviews or the pc version, since it will release on a later date and most likely on the EGS).

I loved the marketing surrounding it and it looks really intriguing (love the cosmic horror thingy going on).

We will see how it goes. If in the end i don't like it, i can always sell it before christmas, since i'm buying the physical version.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
No. I was very skeptical, and reading the reviews convinced me this is not something I'd want to play. Will just check out the story on YouTube, cut out all the fetch quests and walking.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
For a game like this, I think I'll wait and see general impressions and wait until they patch in potential QoL fixes and whatnot.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, have it pre-ordered. The reviews have been solid, and it seems like a crazy, gorgeous AAA experience that is simply too unique and bold for me to pass up. No idea if I'll love or even like it, but I'm certainly curious to find out.

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
I can get my game tomorrow. Hyped through the roof.

Also, today I wondered how the game plays while being offline? How much impact does the online/offline aspect have on the game? Being about connection and stuff.

Didn't read any previews, so I'm not up to date.

Veeery slight spoilers, only a mention of the general feeling of the game:

I talked a lot about it with a friend yesterday, and his view is that while technically it's not necessary, it basically is, in fact, a requisite to engage deeply with the things the game obsesses in the main narrative. Should fall flat otherwise. It also humanizes the game a lot whenever it feels completely inhospitable, which is often.

EDIT: Argh. Forgot to say I talked about with someone who has finished it, it's not just speculation.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
A few duds during a 30+ year career does not make someone a hack.

No, of course not.

But it's well known that Kojima worked with Fukushima on the Metal Gear Solid series and starting on MGS4 you can see some sort of declining quality on the stories at least (I haven't played yet Snatcher or Policenauts to measure other Kojima's work)

But on the other hand, you can argue that he was still working on the same IP after all this years and trying to tie everything together. That's bound to come with issues.

So sure, maybe "hack" is too harsh. I love his games and I hope not being tied to a monster of IP as MGS is/was, will let him make something truly great.

I'm looking forward to DS and haven't read any review, but you could see on the trailer when Deadman was explaining how BBs work, it sounded a lot like "Nanomachines" and "Vocal cord parasite" and not in a good way, IMO.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Game comes out way too close to black friday to consider buying at launch

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Morbid curiosity and if I don't I'll have everything spoiled by coworkers since I work in AAA. Hope I don't get burned out like I did with MGS5.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Yes because is something new and I'm not in to Star Wars and do not care about COD, so is nothing more until next gear

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I definitely want to play it at one point, but I'm going to wait a few months at least.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
No, I've only got so much free time the rest of the year and given everything I've heard/read over the last week, it sounds like my time would be better spent playing through Disco Elysium in time for GOTY voting. I'll get Death Stranding on sale when it comes to PC

NegativeCero

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, I'll wait for a decent sale. Hopefully that'll be before the online component starts to go away from people moving on.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I was going to but after the "reviewgate" (and careful consideration) I'm gonna spend my money on Jedi: Fallen Order instead.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Changed my vote to no. The metacritic score was more than fine for me, but after reading the reviews there seems to be sections where I know I'll get frustrated (for example, the B.T. sections).

I want to try it down the line, that's for sure. Maybe when it drops to $40 and I can feel comfortable spending that money on a game I may or may not like.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I love "walking simulators" (awful name meant to be an insult), but 40 hours to get to the punch is just too much for me. It would take like 8 weeks of the little gaming time I have these days spent solely on DS.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
But it's well known that Kojima worked with Fukushima on the Metal Gear Solid series and starting on MGS4 you can see some sort of declining quality on the stories at least (I haven't played yet Snatcher or Policenauts to measure other Kojima's work)

What's less well-known is that Fukushima's primary contribution to the mainline MGS games - were CODEC dialogues.
EFFL1IJXsAIGRt0

Aspects of the game that conveniently started getting more and more diminished after MGS3. Curious, I wonder.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've got it preordered and looking forward to playing it Friday. I don't care about Kojima's storytelling at all, I'm only here for the gameplay which looks fascinating to me.

Nerfed Llamas

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
No. I wanted to support Kojima in his first post Metal Gear Solid game, but nothing that has been shown about Death Stranding appeals to me at all. Perhaps his next game (hopefully another new IP) will capture my heart like Snatcher and a few of the MGS games did.

Oct 25, 2017
No because I'll be out of town this weekend and I don't think I'll enjoy it based on what I've seen. I will most likely wait for a decent sale. I wanted to support as a MGS fan but my gaming time is rather limited these days and I rather spend my time on games that don't look as boring as Death Stranding does

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I love "walking simulators" (awful name meant to be an insult), but 40 hours to get to the punch is just too much for me. It would take like 8 weeks of the little gaming time I have these days spent solely on DS.
I doubt this would appeal to people who enjoy "walking simulators" for what those games excel at

The only thing DS and "walking sims" seem to have common is that you move through 3D space

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I have it pre-ordered. I'm excited, but I'll most likely, if I'm honest with myself, bounce off of it. I just don't have the free time I used to have to play games now that I'm married. I still haven't finished Spiderman, DQXII, Detroit Become Human, Obra Dinn, RDR2, etc., etc. I'm a huge Kojima fan though, so I get all his games day one. I'll probably stick it out to the end even if I don't really like it, just because I'm a Kojima mark. Who knows, I might love it though? I really like Detroit, even though reviewers thought it sucked. *shrugs* I do have more free time now, though, so I'm going to try to clean out my backlog and I still need to pick up RE:2 Remake, Ace Combat, the Respawn Star Wars game, etc.

Apr 19, 2018
Maybe it's been answered already, but would you need Playstation Plus to utilize the Social Strand online system?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Just pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition! Can't wait for Friday! Lot of the systems sound really cool, I can't wait to experience the "multiplayer"/social aspects of it.

Exploration, traversal and environments were my favorite part of Breath of the Wild so I can't wait to have something that looks this gorgeous to take it all in.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Just pre-ordered the digital deluxe edition! Can't wait for Friday! Lot of the systems sound really cool, I can't wait to experience the "multiplayer"/social aspects of it.

Exploration, traversal and environments were my favorite part of Breath of the Wild so I can't wait to have something that looks this gorgeous to take it all in.
I might just get a month of Disney plus instead

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm morbidly curious and am going in knowing I'll very possibly hate it, but I have disposable income and Kojima hasn't let me down yet (though I was a teenager when playing all of his games besides MGSV and haven't returned to any as an adult out of fear that I'd hate them now).

Mar 22, 2019
Fallen Order gets my money in November - will maybe pickup Death Stranding as part of the Christmas sales...feels like a game that will need time to breathe and get fleshed out/bugs ironed out with the heavy multi-player aspect.

Ennsa

Oct 25, 2017
I had already decided I was going to wait and a few months and see but a couple hours ago I got an email from amazon that my preorder that I completely forgot about has shipped and arriving on friday.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
I honestly don't know now.

I was in the Day One camp.

But the more I see actual gameplay... the less I feel inclined to get it.

Someone said that this game is a meditative experience. Maybe if I keep that in mind and get it, it'll work better for me.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I was interested for a while, but the last few days made it seem like everything I hoped it wasn't going to be. Definitely going in the sale pile, and even then maybe not. Fuck me if I'm going to spend 50 hours doing deliveries.