• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying @ launch?

• Yes

Votes: 1,570 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 1,830 53.8%

• Total voters
Feb 1, 2018
I'll pick it up when it's in that red case Playstation Hits for $19.99

Or just watch someone play it on youtube. The graphics are gorgeous but the gameplay looks tedious

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nope, I will wait for a deep discount in a few months. I'am curious about the story but the game play looks tedious.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I was on the fence, waiting on reviews last time I posted. Some of the reviews really intrigue me, but others like the IGN one felt like confirmation of my fears about the game.

I think I will pass at launch and pick up some time down the road......but I am interested in reading how people are liking it who play at launch.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the preload.

I might end up hating the game, but I gotta know for myself.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm still on the fence. I've been debating cancelling my preorder for the past week and I'm still not any closer to an answer

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah I am! Gotta support something like this, publishers taking big swings on creative visions that are the antithesis to every focus tested open world game out there.

I can't guarantee I'll enjoy it, but I'm very glad it exists, and I want to support it.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered. I bought a PS4 to play MGSV and that was a letdown.

This is the last oportunity I give Kojima, to see if his falling out with Konami was the culprit or if he's just a hack (I was OK with MGS4 and Peace Walker).

Since Ground Zeroes was pretty good on its own, I hope he delivers with Death Stranding (no pun intended)

Deleted member 35941

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Pre-ordered it yesterday from Amazon. I don't know much about it, I tend to follow games when they are announced and then go on blackout until release.

Excited to try it out though, for sure!

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
I had DS and NFS Heat on my list but it's looking like the only games I'll probably get this end of the year will be Outer Worlds and Fallen Order.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
No. I was pretty intrigued from the start, and I'd really hoped the unique and brilliantly produced teasers / cinematics would end up being backed up by some genuinely good gameplay. That no longer looks to be the case, and if I ever were to play it, it would have to be after an extremely hefty discount.

Okay nevermind I watched Giant Bomb's quick look and I have U-turned very hard

Last edited:

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
I had it pre-ordered from Amazon ... When I ordered it, it had a Prime Discount of 20%, so I was only going to pay $50 including tax. I was excited for it, but based upon all the reviews and the discussion around the game, I decided to cancel my pre-order and I think I will wait on it. I just don't have the time or patience right now for this type of game. But, I will absolutely play it at some point.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
No, I am going to rent it via Redbox first to see how I like and from there I may purchase it from discount down the line.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it looks really dull gameplay wise, that balancing thing is gonna be real annoying as well.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
from what i saw in the reviews, it would be better for me to get it discounted....

now that the last of us 2 is delayed, next major games i want are in march. ill get jedi fallen order for now and then discounted games from this year i missed. few months later ill get it probably......

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
Working this weekend... planning on getting it next week. But I also have to finish Dragon Quest 11s (almost there) and Outer Worlds first.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered. I bought a PS4 to play MGSV and that was a letdown.

This is the last oportunity I give Kojima, to see if his falling out with Konami was the culprit or if he's just a hack (I was OK with MGS4 and Peace Walker).

Since Ground Zeroes was pretty good on its own, I hope he delivers with Death Stranding (no pun intended)
A few duds during a 30+ year career does not make someone a hack.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wasn't going to buy it, being semi lukewarm on past Kojima games (really only love MGS1-3, got really bored with IV and V), but I preordered today. The idea of the game is a bit absurd, but I am a sucker for landscapes, and the ones in this game look stunning, not to mention, the idea of a hiking/delivery simulator sounds like it could be pretty zen-like playing truck simulator or Elite, along with the bizarre themes and shared world stuff. It may not be a game for everyone, including me, but we'll see! Won't mean it's a "bad" game if not, just not a game for me. But the more I see & read about DS, the more it sounds like it's a game I will enjoy.

Edit: The monster energy canteen was nearly enough to not preorder all by itself, though haha.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Well, when this thread was created i voted no. And i wasn't going to, but i decided to get a physical copy today. If i dont like it i'll sell it and make my money back almost in full.

Cant remember buying a physical game in the last couple of years.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The poll split really doesn't surprise me seeing how this place has quite a history of hate filled topics when dealing with Kojima.

Day 1 for PS4 and PC.

yes, me not buying a game based on the reviews clearly means i hate the creator even though mgs 3 is one of my favorite games ever. C'mon, rhetoric like this makes you sound like a spiteful fan boy

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this game seems like exactly what I need right now, so yea I pre-ordered yesterday and will pick it up tomorrow night at Gamestop.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I might just do it to be honest. Sometimes, you gotta witness the train wreck while it's in its prime.

Oct 26, 2017
Pre-ordered when it was announced on the store. I'm glad it's a different type of game. There are enough Metal Gear games that sometimes experimenting is good (not that i would have rejected another Metal Gear). Guerrilla Games were the Killzone studio and changed it up and we got Horizon Zero Dawn. Sometimes it works and if it doesn't at least we have something new. We will shortly find out.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Wow this poll seems to be this game in a nutshell. I've loved the Metal Gear series & PT and I have this game preordered despite knowing there's a very good chance that I could end up hating the game. I think the extreme degree of reverence people have for Kojima is dumb and annoying but I also find the dismissive approach people take with his games to be almost equally annoying. Kojima has absolutely made a positive lasting impact on games and storytelling in games but he's always been in need of an editor with sway that can tell him "No, don't do that. That's dumb" or "No, that sucks. Please don't do that." lol

I mostly just find his writing to be fun and entertaining to watch unfold but he cannot write women to save his life which is the utterly frustrating thing about him. I think he always earnestly tries to make these cool, sexy, strong women in his games but he almost always seems to undercut them in some significant way. Even Meryl & The Boss, two characters I love, each have their own thing in their respective character arcs that you can point to and be like "fucking really?".

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
I bought it but in case I don't like it there is the option for selling it to a buddy for a small loss.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a spiteful fan boy rant. The past topics speak for themselves.

no one is free from criticism. That includes Hideo Kojima. If people have issues with his direction they are perfectly within their right to do so. This website Isn't some echo chamber where everyone is supposed to like or dislike the same thing. You will find very different opinions of him and this game on this site. For every post criticizing him there is one praising him. The problem is you are just focusing on the posts that disagree with your opinion of him as a director.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After hearing impressions on podcasts in the last few days i canceled my preorder. A 50-60 hour cargo simulator is not for me.

Nov 14, 2017
No.

After listening to a ton of content about it from Giant Bomb and Waypoint I really don't think it's going to be something I like.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and I have a feeling I'm going to regret it, but I'm fascinated with this game for some reason.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, on the fence, but might wait and pick up Star Wars next week and then give this a shot when it comes down in price a bit. It seems interesting, but I could see it also being tedious and frustrating.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Changed from No to Yes after seeing reviews.
Seems like a unique experience that I want to play for myself. Plus I like apocalyptic stories

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Already pre-ordered. Kojima is very hit or miss for me, more miss than hit and I've only ever played three of his games, but something about this game is just enthralling. The evocative landscape, the occult sci-fi post-apocalypse, the methodical hiking simulator gameplay, the "world as a logistical puzzle" concept, the cargo management, the eerie Lovecraftian horror of its supernatural threat, the indie-game-on-AAA-budget vibe...everything about Death Stranding seems like something perfectly attuned to my tastes and what I love about gaming

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
It was on my radar but never a day one as the gameplay didn't look like a huge hook for me, but after seeing that reviews have been all over the place and the bat shit insane premise tied with a creepy otherworldly vibe I love I'll be buying. Also helps that I'm burned out on Destiny 2 and The Outer World's didn't really grab me as much as I thought it would even 15 hours or so in.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
no one is free from criticism. That includes Hideo Kojima. If people have issues with his direction they are perfectly within their right to do so. This website Isn't some echo chamber where everyone is supposed to like or dislike the same thing. You will find very different opinions of him and this game on this site. For every post criticizing him there is one praising him. The problem is you are just focusing on the posts that disagree with your opinion of him as a director.
I specifically used the word hate. Not criticism. Two very different concepts. Which if you would... read those past topics it will become very clear on which term I was referring to. Seeing how my post seem to not be clear enough for you to alter it.

I will concede that my original post could be written a bit different, but the overall message would still be the same.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

As someone who has been massively bored by some of the biggest AAA games this generation, I'm ready for something completely different and new - good or bad.