• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
I feel like it's this reason why Bethesda just went and skipped the entire generation for both Elder Scrolls and their new IP. The power isn't there to accomplish what they want.

Really? I remember John carmack saying a dev can make whatever they can dream of more a less in the 360/ps3 gen, and that x1/ps4 can never be "fully tapped out"

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not craving them but am eager to see what new features they will bring (e.g. cloud gaming).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Not at all. Any improvements would be incremental at best- and right now I'm *perfectly fine* with game performance on my base PS4. Maybe if/when I get around to upgrading to a 4K TV this will change some but I'd rather have more games on the current platform I already own than a new console.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
While the numbers may seem iterative, that hypothetical PS5 is intended to take the place of base PS4...so devs actually targeting that spec from the ground up will be far bigger impact on the games themselves than the numbers suggest, unlike the iterative Pro and X consoles which are tied down to the base PS4 and XB1 consoles
While building source-art for a particular target 'has' an impact, the difference it makes is also impossible to quantify in any meaningful way until after the fact.

But let's look at some of the things we can quantify:
4k becoming the baseline target for next-gen console - at worst, that makes the delta between 10TF console and PS4 Pro 'less than 2x'.
At 'best' (allowing to continue targeting lower, reconstructed resolutions) you get the paper-spec 2.5x increase, and throwing in the faster CPU and at least 2x more memory, we're at approximately the same as delta we had between original XBox and a GameCube.

Things will look better, sure - but 'generational change' will have to be entirely marketing narrative based - though I guess MS proved a lot can be done on the back of that...

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The current gen consoles where designed at a time where eveyrone thought consoles where dying and it showed in the hardware. It has kind of kneecapped what devs can do.

Bring on new consoles with a CPU worth a damn.

I dont expect the graphical jump to be wild. We are reaching a limit on what is financially viable there but in terms of complexity and AI and things a CPU can change (like FRAMERATE!!!) we desperately that jump.

Its going to be interesting to see how next gen is pitched when its first shown. I do think the old days of "LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS" are nearly over and marketing framerate is just harder to get people to understand.

Chrono78

Mar 21, 2018
Currently I am happy with my standard PS4 and Switch. I will consider a new console when there are some exclusive JRPGs that I feel are must own.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Honestly, if the PS5 isn't fully backwards compatible with PS4, I might never buy one.

I'm still waiting on a price drop for a Switch, and I'll never be interested in the Xbox brand.

British

Dec 15, 2018
Current-gen graphics are fine at the moment...but I'm wanting next-gen so that we finally get some decent CPU performance in comparison to PC.

Nov 30, 2017
I felt like I wasn't ready last gen because I thought PS3 graphics were great, until I got my hands on a PS4, then I didn't want much to do with PS3 anymore except as an app machine.

Like I said though I'm ready but more for the increase in CPU power. I'm sure once I see the new graphics though combined with physics I'll be ready to set the PS4 down.

No complaints right now though as I have two PROs, one 4k TV, and a 1080 set .

Feb 1, 2018
I'm craving next gen consoles to have all-flash memory and no more slow hard drives. 512GB or 1TB should suffice, hope the costs go down by 2020.

Or if Xbox would allow user-accessible SATA slots like the PS4 does so you can swap in an SSD.