• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MoneyTalks45

Nov 15, 2017
The "crave" really isn't there. I think for most gamers, what's currently on market hardware-wise could suffice for another three years. I will typically buy on PC for the bigger-budget multi platform games for several first-world luxuries like gsync, or locked fps, 144hz, etc.

I do however readily admit that I probably play my Switch more than anything at this point. Accessibility has become the killer feature in my 30s.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
No really. The vast majority of games I play tend to be non-demanding games, like the recent Monster Boy. I don't play many open world games that really push the hardware limits, and if I do, I generally play those on PC anyway. I doubt I will buy a PS5 within it's first 3 years.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
It's more like better optimization has allowed the PS4 to maintain the same size maps but other QoL features diminish on the base consoles. The frame rate has been an issue on multiple games for both XO and base PS4.

I didn't realize that was going to be a contentious statement.
Even with the base PS4/XO the issues aren't remotely comparable to the disparity between PS3 and PC in games like Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, Crysis 2, GTAV, Dark Souls, and on and on.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, I still have lots to play on the PS4. My backlog is huge and will last me a few more years.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I really am craving to see what kind of visual leap we're gonna see on next-generation consoles. almost cgi level fidelity for top tier studios like ND, SSM etc.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere near as much as I was back in 2012. We'll see how I feel by the end of next year.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm craving the new IP that generally are encouraged at the beginning of a new generation.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Since they probably push for higher pixel count instead of frame rate, I'm not. I'm fine with my PC, and getting a new console depends solely on exclusives. It's not that I need a new console/generation now.

RandomTiger

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, my blacklog has reached critical mass and I'm not sure what new hardware would do to improve non VR experiences at this point.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Im not too mr. Camel, but CPU improvments should be the next thing, too many resources go to resolution on the upgraded systems

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, still got so much to play and Sekiro, Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, RE2, Tsushima and many more aren't even out yet. PSVR is still awesome too.

End of 2020 would be fine by me.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Not at all. I literally never find myself thinking "I'd really be enjoying this game more if it just looked a little better." We are far beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the X and the Switch last year. I could do without new consoles for a couple years, still. Looking at games like RDR2, Odyssey, Forza Horizon 4, 100-players Battle Royale games, procedurally generated "infinite" games like Minecraft or No Man's Sky... I just don't feel like the tech is currently holding us back that much. I mean, sure, if devs had 5 times the raw power they could do more with it surely, but I don't feel the rush to push the boundaries yet. It's also true, however, that most of the games I was hyped for this generation are already out, and some of the things I await the most (both announced or just speculated) are likely next-gen, so in that sense it may be true that this gen won't offer me that much anymore. Still, this was one of the finest years in my gaming career, and what I bought this year would be enough to keep me gaming another whole year, and that's not counting the stuff that is still coming out next year too.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm craving the new IP that generally are encouraged at the beginning of a new generation.
This gen has been slightly different. We have an insane amount of new IPs coming out in the next year or two.

1. Death Stranding
  2. Ghost of Tshushima
  3. Dreams
  4. Days Gone
  5. Anthem
  6. Seikiro
  7. Cyberpunk
  8. Respawn's new Star Wars IP
  9. Rocksteady's new IP
With so many AAA devs releasing their reboots, new IPs and sequels this late in the gen, I would say chances of getting new IPs from these studios are slim. At best, we might see a new IP from EA Motive's new studio, Naughty Dog after shipping the last of us, Cory Barlog's new IP after shipping GoW 2 and whatever the new MS studios are cooking up. But they were all bought just this year so we might not see these new IPs get announced for another year or two.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't say I'm craving them, but I do look forward to what developers do when they have the training weights of the current gen's CPU performance removed.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not even slightly, this gen is aging a trillion times better than last gen,

Almost every game around this time last gen seemed like it was falling apart at the seams, 25-28fps felt like the norm

Nov 1, 2017
On one hand, I really want to see a new generation of consoles with no bottlenecks (i.e. improved CPUs). That being said, I am beyond content with what I have. I think the biggest deciding factor for me personally will be backwards compatibility.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Only if their focus is on 60fps. If not, I can have these consoles for the next few years.

Ray Barata

Jan 4, 2018
Not even slightly, this gen is aging a trillion times better than last gen,

Almost every game around this time last gen seemed like it was falling apart at the seams

Completely agree. I bought an X, but I don't even have the required OLED TV to really show it off. I'd like to see infrastructure and bandwidth improve to set the stage for the streaming stuff and the an increased usage of cloud services like Azure first. New end point hardware is not really a necessity right now.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought an Xbox One X earlier this year, and use it for about 4 games that aren't retro or Indie titles. This isn't to say I regret my purchase, in fact I love it and game pass makes it all the better, just that I went that long without feeling the need to get a current gen non-Nintendo console and I doubt I'll feel the need to upgrade for years. I may pick up the Switch revision if it's a good value proposition, but I'm still happy with my launch model.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
The Pro and X certainly gave quite a boost to developers to give games that extra resolution and frame rate bump.

The other thing is I am trending more to Indies nowadays and they don't require the absolute beefiest hardware. Also, my most played console right now is the Switch, which is obviously less powerful than the others. Why? The convenience and versatility of its hybrid nature makes any 'technical' compromises digestible. So yeah, as someone who's been gaming since the colecovision, *I* personally couldn't care less when the next consoles show up. I'm oddly content with what I have now.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I want to put next gen off as long as possible. Games are in a great place right now, and the longer we wait the better specs we'll get.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Not at all. IMO, gaming has reached its peak in terms of graphic fidelity and at this point, new hardware will only improve things very slightly on those aspects.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Yes I do want an updated PS and Xbox to keep up on the bleeding edge stuff. 60 fps standard please?!?

However my Switch has me pretty content. Indie darlings are consuming my time lately. looking forward to whatever revision Nintendo is cooking up.

Jan 10, 2018
Whenever you are trying to send a message during a game on the PS4 it freezes up before you even get to type anything. And when you finally send your message and just want to get back to the game quickly there's a long loading screen for some reason.

In short: Yes, I'm craving a new console.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not at all.

This current gen is killing it, I'm in no rush to move on.

Though I wish my PS4 wasn't so loud running the newest games.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The stopgap systems (Pro and X) have really made me quite content with what we have currently.

If we were still tethered to the original hardware then yes, I'd be itching for an upgrade.

The X in particular feels like a half-generational upgrade so another year or two suits me just fine.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Not really, the mid gen spec bumps helped squeeze performance out when we hadn't seen that before.

it's also 2018 and I'm finally getting around to deciding whether to play Bloodbourne or The Last of Us for the first time.

There will be new features and IPs to push new consoles that should be neat though.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all.

This current gen is killing it, I'm in no rush to move on.

Though I wish my PS4 wasn't so loud running the newest games.

Because my base PS4 is so loud and I skipped the Pro version, I'm just holding out on playing first party games.
Although I'm really happy on PC, I crave those amazing SP games from Sony.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty good with what we've got going on now. No hurry. I only really want next gen if it's backwards compatible because I've got a shitload of current gen games I still want to play.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, I have my hands full of games for the Holidays period and there's plenty coming in 2019.

Games are looking pretty good already, I'm a kid of the 90's, and even while I love native 4K and all that jazz, I'm happy with what we have already. I expect next gen to not look too far from this gen, except the consoles will sport games at higher resolutions. Of course there will be new games that will push boundaries, but I'm not in a hurry to see those, curious yes, for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably be there day one. I'm not craving new gen, but I would like a PS5 with PSVR2, if that happens.

Sony has been doing great with the VR lineup, but I can't justify stepping down to PSVR given I own a Rift.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny... the thing that makes me want new Sony hardware is due to the Pro being the cheapest looking/feeling console on my stand right now. But in terms of capability, it's fine. I'm more interested in seeing what Nintendo does if its pans out that they'll do a mid-cycle refresh with better hardware. New gens are exciting, but right now, there just isn't much need.