• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the death penalty acceptable in a non biased/false conviction world

• Yes

Votes: 165 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 375 68.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 10 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is more of a morale question, the last thread on this was based in the real world. Obviously the death penalty shouldn't be in effect in the real world as innocents would be killed. Therefor that thread was pretty cut and dry.

We aren't going to go in specifics as to what would be worthy of the death penalty, rather if death is ever an acceptable punishment in a world where false convictions are impossible. Racial or class bias would not be in play here either.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
That counterfactual is on the level of: But would you say the n-word if it healed a dying child?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. I would not kill someone (except in direct self-defense) and I wouldn't want my government to kill people either, especially when there's a simple alternative.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It's like asking, if we had an omniscient god, would it be okay for him to smite the absolutely evil and cruel? Yes, I think it would.

But that world is impossible. For many reasons.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I am not against a person's life being forfeited for committing particular crimes, but eliminating the chance for error is only eliminating one of my two problems. The second being I am against the state executing its own citizens.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Death is a way out of punishment not an actual punishment.

Their freedom and locked in a cell for the rest of their lives is a fair better punishment.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The framing of this question has to posit an essential idea of what truth and justice is in infallible terms. It cannot be answered in a way that's meaningful for applying it to real world practice. A society or world in which the "truth" is universally flawless (i.e. "false convictions are impossible") would mean a society where penalty issued from a trial isn't needed because there is no need for the pursuit of "justice". If someone murdered another person in this world, there would be no need for a conviction, no need for a trial.

The whole reason for a justice system is that truth must be found, not used as a starting point.

There is no reason for the death penalty from a moral or practical perspective.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Death penalty is wrong, no exceptions.
Even the worst of the worst pos humanbeings worhty of it in a "i forget i'm civilised and just listen to my caveman reptilian brain for a second" moment people are rare.
rare to the point of being exceptions.
rare to the point it's not worthy tainting your society model with the sin of death penalty.
Jail for life is fine, and enough.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'm against the state having the power to legally kill its citizens, no matter how shitty the citizen is.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Unless you're talking about some omniscient deity dispensing death on the absolute worst as it was an objective concept, there's no absolute correct way to decide who's worthy of being sentenced to death and who isn't. Take a handful of different periods in time and a bunch of different cultures and ask them what crime should be punished with death penalty and you'll have a gazillion different answers. So, even without false conviction, humanity will still decide on people's life on a completely subjective basis.

Therefore: fuck no.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
In this hypothetical world of non faulty convictions have they also figured out an actually humane way of killing people? Because our current world is real fucked up in that regard.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If we are creating fantasy land scenarios why not create one where the death penalty is unnecessary because nobody rapes or murders other humans?

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Because advocating for the state to quickly kill someone that has raped/tortured/killed innocents isn't the same level as what that person did?
I disagree. If the state doesn't kill people, then the state is of a higher moral standing. The state needs to be squeaky clean. I can't respect a system that kills people intentionally, despite how much that person might "deserve it". For instance, I'd like to see a certain US politican dead, but I have to avoid thinking that way because that makes me as bad as or worse than that person.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Against.

But.... i believe some people should get a punisment more severe. Like the mosque killer in Neo Zealand or pedos. So i don't know if that puts me in the high horse or not.

OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I disagree. If the state doesn't kill people, then the state is of a higher moral standing. The state needs to be squeaky clean. I can't respect a system that kills people intentionally, despite how much that person might "deserve it". For instance, I'd like to see a certain US politican dead, but I have to avoid thinking that way because that makes me as bad as or worse than that person.
I dont agree that you are as bad or worse than that person

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
No. There is not a human society alive that is not unbiased, corrupt, or infallible. We should never give any government the license to kill.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wasn't cursed with whatever brain cells make people want bloodlust to put their mind at ease

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Put them in jail to rot for a few years with 0 contact with the outside world and then go for the death penalty. Some horrible people don't deserve to live for too long.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yes. In my perfect scenario where there were no false convictions, unjust laws, or racial bias or corrupt governments misusing that authority for their own political ends.

Some lunatics simply need to be put down. Period.

But we don't live in that perfect world and never will.

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Even assuming no false convictions, it's still applied disproportionately to people of color and used so infrequently as to be unpredictable.

From a US legal perspective, I don't think it's a per se violation of the 8th Amendment, but as it is currently practiced it violates it as-applied and is pretty unsalvageable at this point. Thus I also think it's unconstitutional.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe that bourgeois states are truly legitimate, so I don't want them to have this power.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Idk
I don't think killing them does anything, it doesn't erase what they've done, it just seems like revenge to me, not even from the victims but from society for breaking its peace.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Only for the most vile criminals, incapable of being integrated into society as decided by a team of mental health experts

Basically, make it an extremely rare occurrence

Status
Not open for further replies.