• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
With the PlayStation End of the Year sale, and the imminent official announcement of the PS5, I was going through the list of all PS4 games, and there are many games that I didn't play that I wanted to try.

I have a PS4 and a Switch, although I almost never use it. I only have Super Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW and Super Mario Kart 8.

When I had the PS3, that's when I was able to get any game I wanted. I had more than 75 games, and at least I tried 25 more. When the generation ended, I felt satisfied and ready for new games with the PS4.

The PS4 launched, and I never actually got to play it as much as I wanted. Didn't have the time or the money anymore to buy as many games, so I focused a lot on the AAA games that felt were the highlights of the generation. (Uncharted 4, God of War, Nier Automata, Spider-Man, etc.) but I think I feel like this generation came and went, and don't feel like I enjoyed as much as the PS3.

So how do you feel about this generation regarding the games you played, the consoles you decided to buy, the games that were available, or whatever you want to share?

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest difference was I became a patient gamer. Stopped buying new releases because most games would drop like a rock in price after just 3 months.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not too many regrets, and I was content with a lot of my decisions. I think it helped that I became more patient with games, like waiting for them to get discounted or be added to a service like Game Pass.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
love it

play less than i ever have (work and hobby busy) but im satisfied enough with what the switch offers that it doesn't bother me at all. I love the choices and selection.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Very few regrets. Extremely happy with this gen. I think it's the first golden age of gaming since the PS2 era imo. The PS4 has left me extremely satisfied, and Nintendo made me a believer again. Got the Switch, it was well worth it. I just think the lack of substantial discounts, and sales on Switch games is unacceptable. It's railroaded my enjoyment of it to an extent.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sure. Xbox + midrange gaming laptop + game pass ultimate was a great "last minute" (like two years ago) addition to my setup even though my PS4 was already exploding with great games. At this point, I'm never wanting for something new to play.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
kinda.... i bought all consoles this gen along w/ a gaming PC.

i dont see myself getting a new xbox since my PC will handle most of that.

I wont ever get another sony system since my account got hacked, charged about a thousand bucks, and then in the process of getting a refund sony threatened my account. done with them after that.

next gen ill get whatever nintendo puts out and probably upgrade my PC's GPU a bit.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
The biggest thing for me was getting the job I have now and learning to experience new games more often. Before I joined IGN, I stayed up to date on the latest games but never really had the interest to play them whilst at home. I often had my PS2 and Xbox hooked up more often than my PS4 or Xbox One.

These days? I've sold and still in the process of selling all of my retro titles and moving on to playing new experiences. No point living in the past when new titles are coming out every month.

Jun 23, 2019
I should have never bought a Switch. I've enjoyed a few games here or there, but I'm not getting the amount of enjoyment out of it that I thought I would have.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Launch Xbox One. Kinect was waste but other than that yes.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Some games I wish I had bought before they got delisted but other than that, I am pretty happy.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only regret was not trying harder to get a PC. It's on the goal list for next year. I pulled the trigger on a great Xbox One -> Xbox One X trade in deal and I probably could have just used that extra money to buy a PC part and get it going.

But I'd still stay with Xbox and PC. Phil is making it extremely easy by trying to break down the barriers between the two.

If I had just spare cash laying around I'd love to try some of the PS4 and switch exclusives but they don't interest me enough to justify a console purchase.

Some minor game regrets. Luckily for some of them this has been the era of shit game may get fixed later on.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Only regret is selling my switch. Right after I sold it I found out Civ was coming out for it. 😂

But it's on Xbox now so I'm good. I'm very happy This gen.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After owing original Xbox and Xbox 360, I passed one Xbox one. Don't regret it at all

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I regret buying both PS4 and XB1 early (PS4 day 1 and XB1 a few months after), just 1 was more than enough for, well all the gen in hindsight, as I barely ever use my XB1 still, but especially so in the first few years. Lesson learned at least, not a chance I buy both the twins close to each other again.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I don't believe I have actually missed any games I would have really enjoyed, so I think in the future I'll probably just be even more conservative with the games I decide to spend money on. Haven't been burned too many times this gen but I definitely buy at least 2-3 games a year that end up being a waste

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I used to buy all the consoles in the past, but this generation I just settled on the PS4. Oddly I don't feel like I missed a whole lot on the Microsoft and Nintendo side. I might get a Switch before Christmas but other than Mario Odyssey and Zelda I probably won't play it much.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I regret buying two consoles this generation (PS4 and Xbox One). Having two consoles is a waste of money since majority of games are on both and I'm not a fan of MS exclusives (I guess I had to try them to find out).

Also bought a couple of games that were a disappointment, Destiny and Anthem come to mind.

Next-gen I'll try to control myself and do less impulse buying. Waiting a couple more months before picking up a game that I really want to play (unless it's a really big release i.e TLOU2).

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I wish I bought fewer multiplayer games. I just don't have the mental fortitude to keep up with the meta these days. First person shooters, mainly. Things like Rocket League are fine.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Yeah, though I think I bought a few games I regret like Mass Effect Andromeda, Dark Souls Remastered and Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I regret buying a Nintendo Switch. Haven't enjoyed one game on it really and I've played Mario, Zelda and Octopath.. /shrug

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
For the most part I'm happy with my gaming decisions. I'd say the biggest mistake I made this generation is trying from the start to platinum The Witcher 3. This led to me playing on the hardest difficulty, which I found to be far more tedious than difficult. I forced myself to complete an overwhelming amount of side content, and constantly referenced a trophy guide to ensure I didn't miss any Gwent cards or make any wrong decisions which would prevent me from earning specific trophies. Ended up feeling like I was working rather than playing, and burnt myself out before ever finishing the main story. I've restarted the game multiple times, but I just can't. I ruined the game for myself.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I didn't need to buy those Overwatch loot boxes but other than that yeah.

I still have a few backlog games I bought and haven't touched but they were all super cheap so it's ok at the moment.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Aside from FO76 I made informed and justified decisions and enjoying my backlog and games I've been playing so yeah.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love this gen, but I wish I would have bought fewer games at launch and in some cases, trusted my better judgement and passed on some games I suspected I would not enjoy (Division 2).

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I kind of regret making the PS4 my main system this gen. I bought an Xbox One at one point and sold it about a year later. Kind of wish I had just gone all in on Xbox.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had some regrets (several JRPGS, ARMS, Death Stranding, etc.), but I'll never forgive myself for trading in my physical copy of the first Gravity Rush. Aside from the fact that I really wanted to revisit it (especially when GR2 was about to release, I had no idea it'd increase in price so much lol

Other than that, I'm good, I've made a lot of purchases I look back fondly on, though I really need to do a better job of not creating a massive backlog...

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No.

My hobby now is about BUYING videogames instead of PLAYING videogames. I wish to be the other way around.

Anyway...

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As far as gaming is concerned, i have everything i need to play games comfortably from now until 5-6 years from now. Not even gonna bother with the PS5/XBX2 because my PC is already better than those 2 ever will be.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Mostly happy, yes. I still buy more stuff than I can play, but I've gotten pickier these days.

With a handful of big exceptions, it does seem like deals on games have gotten worse across the board since last gen; that might be a factor there.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I kinda regret is buying the PS4 and Xbone at launch. If I had known they would be releasing updated models I would have just waited for the Pro and X.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a couple games at launch that I either haven't played yet or started well after I could have gotten them on sale. It's annoying, but I'm going to make a conscious effort to only buy games I plan on playing immediately moving forward.

Feb 21, 2019
Overall, yes. I played more games this generation more than any other before it (going to the NES days).

Some games were truly spectacular (Witcher 3, Bloodborne, BotW, among a few others). However, a whole lot of games became really really good at being good, but not great. There are a sea of games that I don't even remember due to how just good enough they were.

I hope next generation shows a little more creativity in gameplay systems than we got this generation...

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've been PS4 only......and it's been fantastic,no regrets here.The SIE output has been incredible for me personally,The Last Guardian,Bloodborne,Spider-Man,GOW,Driveclub,currently playing Death Stranding and so many more great games I've enjoyed.....still got TLoU Part II and more to come as well.
I'm starting to wonder if PS5 can match it tbh.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
More or less, though winning a launch PS4 through Taco Bell gave me a lot of cushion for poorer decisions later on. Only a couple games I regret getting. I wish I'd had the foresight and patience to get a Pro after revisions, instead of my noisy fan model. But I can already see myself doing the same with the PS5.

I'm glad Microsoft is making a comeback, and I admire their backwards compatability program and them going full charge with cross-play, but ultimately I don't regret not getting an Xbox. I don't have the time or money for multiple consoles (hell, I barely ever PC game anymore), and, comparing the exclusive titles, I would have wound up less satisfied. Also pure controller preferences, although the One controller has nice sticks, even if I don't care for their placement.

Nintendo just isn't my speed, and the Switch hasn't come close to changing that.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
EXTREMELY happy.

I moved from Xbox 360 last gen to PS4 this gen and it was the best decision I could have made. I would have stayed with Xbox because of all my friends on there, but the E3 presentation for the Xbox One and Sony's presentation completely tipped the scales in favor of Playstation.

Then when I had found out that Sony was releasing a VR headset for PS4, I knew with 100% certainty that I had made the right decision and there was no looking back.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Didn't like what PS had on offer game wise or was it something else?
My two main complaints are the DS4 and PSN. The DS4 is probably the crappiest gamepad I have used in my 30+ years of playing video games. The battery life is terrible and they break easily. I think I am on controllers #4 and #5 and I am pretty much the only person who uses them. I have had the triggers break on the previous three I had, even though I don't smash or otherwise abuse my controllers.

As for PSN, I have had a terrible amount of trouble with voice chat, and the rest of it is just painfully slow. I almost saved a video a few days ago of how long it took for me to start a party and invite a friend to join. Xbox Live in 2009 was better than PSN is in 2019.

That being said, Spider-Man PS4 was probably worth the price of admission on its own. The rest of Sony's exclusives, however, don't do much for me.