• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I have had internet since 1997 or there abouts. I had a 56k connection from 1997 to 2003, because I was overseas when cable and DSL started up. I actually had to run two accounts while stationed in Okinawa, because I had a time cap on my connection that had heavy overage penalties. I had two $30/month accounts with 90hrs/each.

So recent experiences.

I got COX internet with the Flex starter Contour almost 2 yrs ago. I started with the 100Mbps connection for $84/month and the next year moved up to the 150Mbps package for the same price.

Cut to this year. I bought a new house and when I transferred my service I was hit with a $75 install fee and my package expired. My new monthly bill was $140 a month. When I called COX to negotiate my price I was stonewalled for the most part. They wanted to push me up to their 300Mbps package, which required I take their stupid Contour box and was $118/month. I almost gave in.

I quickly Googled Century Link and saw a $65/month 1 Gig package. No install fee, free modem and no activation fee. It was/is $65/month for a 1GB fiber connection, no tax and no modem rental. Also a price for life, so 1 year from now I won't have some BS discount expiring. So I scheduled an install and now I have speeds like this.

8060018441.png

Granted the download seems weaker than it should, but for the price I'm not complaining. I am not a regular streamer, but I have accounts set up and my streaming capabilities went from Twitch Low (460p, 3 bits, 30fps?), to Twitch Ultra (1080p, 9bit, 30fps) and maybe beyond. I am really happy with the switch.

I guess the take away is that you should shop around whenever possible. If I would have shopped around for my move I could have saved close to $150.

Oct 25, 2017
I have Cox and I am moving this weekend. I saw that $75 fee but I decided to just install all that stuff myself.

I am tempted to just go somewhere else though. Cox has been pretty poor overall.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Comcast here sucks. We are thinking of switching to AT&T since they just ran fiber in our neighborhood.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess, my results look pretty good in a speedtest:
8060067850.png

(Verizon Fios)

This should translate to about 100 MBps download speeds but I'm actually getting around 30 - 50 MBps from Steam, etc. Feels like I'm overpaying at $95 a month. I used to get above 100 MBps download speeds from my university, that shit was incredible.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've used TWC/Spectrum since moving in TX almost 4 years ago. My first two apartments were brand new buildings and I had zero issues ever with the service.

I moved into an older house last year and they had service there so I was like sure let's keep it going. Probably the first month was shit as there were cable wiring issues with the house and then later on with the neighborhood wiring. On 200mbs service, I was getting under 1mbs frequently. I was real close to switching to AT&T.

Luckily they got the issue in the neighborhood fixed and it's been rock solid since last September. No complaints and no data caps to worry about at this point. They do have gigabit but I have no use for that speed.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
spectrum bought time warner cable in los angeles and i don't really have any problem with them. i'm probably happier with them since i can use their router for free although they did raise prices so it kinda cancels out the good.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Nope. Comcast's reliability in the San Francisco Bay Area has been pretty terrible lately. Also, since Comcast still uses cable, it really doesn't feel as responsive with a 250/15 connection compared to when I had a 50/50 connection with Verizon FiOS in Pennsylvania. I also have to pay an extra $50 a month for unlimited data, because I'm too close to the 1TB limit on a regular basis to want to risk going over. It's virtually impossible to decrease my bill by any significant amount since I added TV service, too, because any "savings" off of the base access end up just being supplemented with extra fees that inflate the overall charges by $20+. It doesn't help that the "offers" in my area make virtually no sense and more or less seem as though they were concocted as a result of RNG or something.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have a gigabit fiber connection with Century Link. Thankfully it's been rock solid because they have the worst customer service in existence.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Only when it goes down. Then im irrationally pissed the fuck off.

Spectrum. 85/mo. Internet only.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I have Comcast and it goes out a lot. It goes out way more than my power per say. Sadly, nothing better is in my area. AT&T's internet service in my area is dinosaur internet levels.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I must be the only person alive with Comcast that isn't horribly scarred by the experience. Yes, it's gone down a few times. I think half a dozen times over the last ten years. Maybe less. It's always been back up by the estimate, typically just an hour or so. Because we're blissfully childless, we've only come close to the data cap occasionally.
We almost signed up for Frontier FIOS a while back, but it didn't work out. First, despite the nextdoor neighbor having it, the guys on the phone insisted we weren't in their service area. After a lot of back and forth, a ticket was placed to see what it would take. We never heard back so I called them up. The ticket guy was fired for being incompetent and our ticket had disappeared with him. They offered to create a new ticket, but by then their reputation for poor customer service was getting harder to overlook.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Comcast is mostly solid in my area so not many complaints save for that 1tb cap. Keeping track of it sporadically throughout the month to be sure we don't go over is kind of a pain but not a huge deal. Though I'll say I had to do away with 4k Netflix as good golly I learned pretty quick just how fast 4k streaming eats up data. I'm one of those that can't really tell a huge difference between 1080 and 4k (streaming anyhow) content so it isn't the worst concession.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I had Comcast here not long ago. I got about 35 down and 6 up for about $65/month. It also went out frequently, or I at least had to power cycle the modem frequently (like once a week).

Now I have Fios, 100 down and 110 up for $50/month. Haven't had to cycle the modem at all, and it has been over a year. We're not particularly heavy on the streaming, so that speed is perfectly fine for us.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have WideOpenWest, I pay around 70 bucks a month for 350 down and 25 up. Can't really complain and they're stable. Other options are Spectrum and AT&T but their plans start at 100 down and like 100 bucks a month.