• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I like BR games to an extent, but I think I'd like to see more attempts at PvE versions. Like maybe something in the vein of L4d2 on a giant map with zombies, where you and several teammates spawn in a random building somewhere and have to make your way through hoards of zombies towards the ever shrinking random circles on the map, leading up to the typical helicopter evac finale and big fight at the end. I think there's one out there that's similar, but has pvp too.

The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the idea of a "Battle Royale" mode in L4D3 like that.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Im with the op. Im sure plenty of people enjoy it but i find them extremely boring.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I like them and go a few rounds every now and then, but BR just isn't my favourite thing to play.

There's too much downtime, for me. It's still fun to go a match every now and then, but can't imagine playing them all the time like some seem to.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't like them much - but I have dabbled.

I tried PUBG, really didn't like that one. I lasted maybe two hours between two nights.

I later gave Fortnite a try after being coerced by friends - that was slightly better, but still not my cup of tea.

Then I saw Apex, and that seemed more like a game that was my style. I played it for about a week. I concede it's an awesome game - some great and transformative ideas in terms of gameplay for BG's, and IMO the best in the genre right now, but I still just can't stand more than about 30-45 min of it at a time. Which leads my friends not wanting to play with me because I bail after a few rounds, leading me to be even less interested.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah? I played a bit of Fortnite. I liked it, but not enough to get crazy into it like some people have. I figure I may pick it up here and there when a cool event happens, (like the Thanos thing) but I can like it and still like other games.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
I tried playing PUBG and Fortnite on PC & PS4 but so far couldn't get into any of them yet.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Not my cup of tea. There is a lot of genres out there to satisfy everyone without the feeling of "FOMO". I live in a country where everybody live and breathe Rugby. Never watched a game...

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I just hope not every single franchise out there is gonna try to take its slice of the BR pie. For example, I really really like The Last of Us Factions, and I strongly hope Part II's multiplayer will stay true to its core gameplay (4v4 slow paced team deathmatch with very limited ammo and resources, craft your own weapon, etc...) but I don't want a TLOU BR.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I simply don't give a single fuck about that boat. I don't see the point or fun of this kind of gameplay.

And i'm fine with it.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, I play what I want to play regardless if it's a popular game or trend at the time.
I did however give Apex Legends a go, but yeah, not for me, in my experience with BR games there's not much that goes on, a lot of just running around picking up items and sitting in menus loading into games, but I guess the games are more about the tension than constant action compared to TDM for instance. Nothing wrong with the games, just personally I can't get into them.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Came in to post this.
You have just made my week you epic human! I didn't know this was a thing!!!!

If you like Tetris, boy are you in for a treat.

I would say do your self a favour and watch a few vids about the finer points of the targeting options.

There is more going on that meets the eye.

Also speed increase at final 50 and then final 10.

the one negative is luck does play a factor in a more direct way than perhaps other BR games. You can go a whole game and not get targeted that much for example.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
BR seems fine, I honestly don't know whats so different about that from unreal era deathmatch modes except there's more players?
Maybe people who are used to topping in 4-10 player matches are just salty that this means you dont win as often?
I've never been big on PvP though, so ive been too busy playing through my backlog to get into any big BR things. I had a little go on tetris 99 tho. Can see myself dipping into that every now and then.
That's almost like asking what's the difference between 64 player conquest in BF and 12 player domination in COD. The order of magnitude difference in player count and scale alone make much more of a difference than you give them credit.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Luckily I hardly play MP games that aren't fighting games, so I'm good as these BR games don't do it for me either. Tetris 99 is pretty cool but even then I'd only play it for a couple of matches a day and that's it.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
I feel like I'd enjoy the concept but none of have pulled me in for one reason or another. I played a bit of PUBG but my PC couldn't run it at anything I was willing to put up with at the time. Fortnites visuals and building mechanics turn me off, though I admit I haven't tried it or even looked at more than the advertising and some youtube videos. I've played Overwatch religiously up until a month ago, over 1,000 hours, but the sheen has finally worn off and I want something else for my FPS fix now. Apex would've been perfect, the mechanics look really fun, but after so much time in Overwatch I really don't want to play a team game and it being squads only is off-putting because of that.

On paper the whole concept sounds like a lot of fun to me, I love slower, tense FPS gameplay and big maps and lots of players. Hopefully one grabs me eventually.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I have tried them here and there but I never really have liked BR games because I don't like shooters, they just aren't for me. I am intrigued to see if Tetris 99 brings about more non-shooter BR-like games because I like the concept behind BRs just the actual gameplay isn't what I enjoy.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I can't get into them either. I don't know what is fun about playing one map and one game mode over and over.

I've tried PUBG, Fornite (I did like its Save the World Mode), Black Ops, and Apex.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Played a little bit of Arma 3 BR. Went back to normal Arma
Played PUBG. Went back to Arma 3.
Played Fortnite, hated every second
Played the Blackout Beta and Free Weekend. Not for me.
Played Apex. I don't mind it.

Best 1 out of 5

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I think I would've loved it 10 years ago, but I'm not into competetive multiplayer anymore

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Thought I was after being mostly lukewarm on PUBG and hating Fortnite, but I'm absolutely loving Apex right now. It's easily my GOTY at the moment.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Had zero interest with battle royale, despised it ever since news broke out that COD ditched Campaign in favor of Battle Royale in Black Ops4. If it wasn't for Respawn Entertainment, I wouldn't be having this much fun with battle royale in Apex Legends. Playing with randoms and friends is just hilariously fun in Apex Legends, the game is so insanely well polished and 60fps TitanFall2 pilot gunplay controls and movement just makes it so immersive and engaging!

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Tried PUBG, fortnite and Apex, this last one is the best for me because it's a little less boring.
So yeah, I still prefer a good match of CS, Overwatch or Rocket League, no problem of losing the boat.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Apex had me for a week but then I totally fell off and have played 1 game in the last 4-5 days.

I played maybe 30 hours, bought the founders pack and will now move on.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
Yes I am, but I'm not a fan of shooters in general.
Tetris 99 is fun because it's tetris, but it's not a game I'd ever spend money on.

As a concept BR ruins the immersion, and I prefer adventure than competitive stuff.
I get why is popular though, especially with the younger crowd.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

I've tried them and they're just not 'my thing' really.
Fair play to people who enjoy them but there's no fun to be had for me personally with the Battle Royale genre.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yes.

I played a bit of apex on Wed, to get a feel for it. It was ok and maybe with more time I'll enjoy it, if I played with a friend and had a mic.

Honestly though, I was left wishing that I was playing Planetside 2...... Damn.

I have fornite DL'd, played a few matches in 2018, just bounced right the fuck off.

Rocket League remains my only dirty indulgence into the world of completive online play.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is undecided on BR games, I like them well enough but do not love them, what I find most fascinating about BR is how accessible they are for the masses. This is something that Respawn tried to specifically address when making Titanfall 1 and yet BR somehow nailed it without any special formula as far as I can see. I guess what I am asking is, why are there over 20+ million concurrent users playing this genre on a daily basis? I don't get what it is about these games that makes them so accessible.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say I'm missing it, Bob.

But seriously, I miss a lot of games and trends. Can't play then all and now, more than ever, you'll have a ton of other options. I'm really loving the indie part of this timeline.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'm not a big fan of BRs at all. I'm not huge into PVP in general, but thats because I'm in my thirties now and I realize I'll never be as good as the 15 year olds who play all day after school.

I'll give Anthem a try and hope for the best.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I respect the design behind them from afar, but it's not for me.

I bought BLOPS4 to try BR for the first time, and I liked the old MP so much that I have yet to play any kind of BR in my life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯