• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe give it a few more matches? With battle royale, there are high highs and low lows. If you continually get destroyed you're not going to have fun. You choose your own playstyle as well. Do you go to a corner of the map and hide? Do you get spicy and get right into the action? It's up to you.

That being said I like battle royale games with cheese and I played a few matches but didn't really like apex. I gave it a few more tries then it clicked for me.

Nah I don't think I'll be trying it again. I don't think you really understand that nothing alleviates the fact that there is no re-spawning and that the maps are enormous. No re-spawns in a small map, sure, but this is so counter-intuitive to the type of multiplayer experience I expect that I can't wash that stink away. So no advice would really work here. :/

Not being able to respawn, well you can, if your teamates help you. Also, that is what adds to the tension of these games. In other games it doesn't matter if you die. There are no stakes. This is what makes battle royale fun.

Nov 14, 2017
Yes, and I'm happy with that. I can't stand games like Fortnite or Apex Legends. I prefer games with set loadouts and weaponry that you learn the nuances of and master, small to medium sized maps that promote consistent combat engagements, and fast-paced gameplay with quick respawn times. You get none of that, none of it, from battle royale games. I thought Apex would be different, but clearly not. They even removed a lot of what I loved about Titanfall 2 (wall running and double jump).

I don't wanna have to depend on good gun and loot RNG, on my randos not being terrible players, on repeatedly going back to the lobby to skydive back in after I've spent the past 10 minutes looting to get sniped by Jim Bob hiding in a bush. It's just not good gameplay to me.
This is the number one complaint about BR games. In order to get good in gunfights, you need to drop into the hot zones and get used to fragging out with the first gun you can lay your hands on. That gets rid of the issue of you getting jumped after 10m of looting and never getting enough practice; in fact if you're spending that long looting upfront then you're just turning yourself into a loot piñata for other players.

The basic way to play BR games is this:

1. Git gud in gunfights. Hotdrop until you feel like you've got it.
  2. Decide where to drop: fancy something spicy? Hot drop. Fancy playing the long game? Pick a good spot out of the way.
  3. After your initial drop and loot, try to get a longer range weapon and a shorter range weapon. Shotgun / AR; sniper / SMG. Just have something for both ranges.
  4. Head towards the gunfire. Gunfire means two teams are fighting, which means you can pinch one of them by rolling up behind them.
  5. Try to rotate around the edge of the circle. If you go in too deep then you risk getting pincered by someone on step 4.
  6. When the circle is closing in, it's worth camping the safe edge to pick off anyone coming in. The circle will do damage for you to make your life easier.
  7. When you're at the last couple of circles, that's when you should try and get cosy and camp in the middle. Find a good spot and snuggle in.
  8. When there are 3 teams left alive, stay frosty. You don't want to be the first to engage in that situation unless you totally have the drop. You want the other two teams to start fighting so you can roll up on them and finish them both off while they are low health.
This is the basic strategy for BR games. Notice how I basically didn't mention looting after the initial drop? You should only be doing brief runs through areas when you notice they haven't been looted, and even then you're mainly just looking for more ammo. You might sometimes get lucky and get a yellow, but that's not the main focus of mid-game looting; you just want ammo, shields, and health. The number one mistake I see the blueberries I get matched with make is that they never stop looting; they treat the game like a loot shooter or something. In Apex especially, most of the guns are actually OK (except Mozambique) so just get used to a reasonable variety of weapons and get good with those weapons over time. The interesting part is that you never know exactly what load out you're going to be running when you drop. You have to adjust depending on what you find, and that's what keeps it fresh and engaging.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I am not the missing the boat. The boat is here, and I have even got on it a few times. But after watching people jump off the boat to land at Loot Lake or Tilted or wherever, I decided, "You know what, I don't want to jump off the boat. I'm fine right here. Take me home."

Nothing wrong with battle royale games, they're just not for me. And that's perfectly fine. We can all happily co-exist.
Play Tetris 99?

It's the best BR.
Okay, if Tetris 99 "counts" then I take back everything I just said. I love that shit, lol. Just not so much "traditional" BR.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope.

I've yet to buy or play any Battle Royale games.

I dont have any interest.

Besides I only want to play SP games, dont want to play any MP.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Fads come and go, but rarely does a genre truly die. I'm not missing out on anything. The worst that happens is companies butchering IPs to chase trends. No skin off my back though.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
u3Tph6e.gif

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Missing the boat? Nah. Problem for me is that most BR titles are genres I don't like (namely FPS/TPS), and the online competitive part doesn't appeal to me all that much either as I've gotten older (now in my mid-40s). Tetris 99 is the first BR-style game that I've been able to play, enjoy, and do fairly well at (got my first #1 last night), so it gives me great hope that there are other genres I like that could have similar implementations where it makes sense.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Eh. I really enjoyed Fortnite for a while because it's so different from everything else, but I can't seem to get into any other BR title; just another shooter with no respawn isn't enough to draw me in.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we should have a "I can't get into BR games support group" thread instead of the weekly new thread

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you guys on ignoring the boat. I'm happier putting on my scuba gear and diving after new SP game experiences.

Though I might have to try Tetris sometime.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
I tried Apex for 2 hours when it launched and then never bothered again.

I don't care for BR at all.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
BR absolutely requires a group of close-knit friends to fully enjoy.
The solo experience is gonna be off-putting for a lot of people.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Didn't really liked PUBG, I'm getting tired of Fortnite, and I've been over online competitive FPS games since the first Black Ops. Safe to say that the genre is already passing me by.

Opium

Oct 30, 2017
Never tried once to play pubg or fortnite and I nearly barf whenever I see youtube videos of them.

Tried Apex as my first ever BR and I fell for it since the beginning, it reminds me of the old quake/ut days.

I do hope they implement solo drops, playing with stupid randos can be frustrating to say the least.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You understand more when you win or make a clutch play that saves your ass and your squads. Wiping out another team on your own makes you feel like a God.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yeah i really don't care though

They don't even seem fun, and if I play an online shooter, I just want team deathmatch or something

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Tetris 99, I have zero interest. Online multiplayer has never really appealed to me much outside of mmorpg's and fighting games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we should have a "I can't get into BR games support group" thread instead of the weekly new thread
This thread I created is the first time I've seen someone air grievances with BR. Also why does it matter if people make threads of this kind? There are numerous threads of the same kind for a host of different topics.

Yeh it's getting a bit much with the weekly threads.

It's ok to not enjoy something people, you don't need constant reaffirmation!

I don't understand what you expect to talk about on a gaming forum then?

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I've never actually played a multiplayer shooter for any extended amount of time so I'll happily ignore that entire part of the venn diagram.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't too into them until Apex came along. That one is quite good. But due to not wanting to play with randoms, I don't play it too often until a friend or relative wants to.

I think I enjoy them when they're more team-oriented with friends you know and communicate with. By yourself or with randos is boring.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I don't care for them. I play some Tetris 99, but tbh even that is less fun than regular Tetris vs matches with 2-8 players. Adding an insane number of players doesn't make a game more fun.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This thread I created is the first time I've seen someone air grievances with BR. Also why does it matter if people make threads of this kind? There are numerous threads of the same kind for a host of different topics.

The same low-key gloating about how these games are all the same and how single player experiences are just superior gets old after a while. Not necessarily pointing at you OP, but these always play out in the same way and I don't think there's much discussion to be had here, especially since every time it plays out the same. I'm just not a fan of "DAE not like X" threads because it just turns into a dumping ground pretty quick, but hey, carry on, I don't mean to derail the conversation because people seem to love talking about this over and over clearly.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the games are for me, but then again I don't really play much in the way of multiplayer (if anything at all) so it's not something to be concerned or worried about. There are other games to play that are more in line with my interests.

You say missing the boat like it's bad. I'm still plowing through my ps2 backlog. Play what's fun to you! Only one life to live...

This, pretty much. If you're enjoying it, then that's the important thing in the end.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't too into them until Apex came along. That one is quite good. But due to not wanting to play with randoms, I don't play it too often until a friend or relative wants to.

I think I enjoy them when they're more team-oriented with friends you know and communicate with. By yourself or with randos is boring.
I actually don't mind playing with randoms. As long as you don't actually care about winning and are just in it for a good time, it is fine.

Nov 28, 2017
my BR experience is me playing about 5 Fortnite matches, and coming in the top 3 each time. my main takeaway was how incredibly bored i was during all of it. not interested in them anymore.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018

What's really the discussion that's going on here then? I've attempt to have one by giving sound advice on how to get more enjoyment out of it, which you just dismissed by saying you don't enjoy it. So what it comes down to is you just wanting feedback that others also don't like BR modes.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I loathe the battle royale craze and online games in general. It's just like with soulsborne games for me, complete antithesis of what i find enjoyable about this medium. I tried Fornite for 10 minutes on the switch and said "yeah, fuck this". Good port tech wise but not for me at all.
I will continue to ignore these type of games.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Battle royale are the trend of the moment, as was the candy crush saga before
I have not touched nor will I touch either

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's really the discussion that's going on here then? I've attempt to have one by giving sound advice on how to get more enjoyment out of it, which you just dismissed by saying you don't enjoy it. So what it comes down to is you just wanting feedback that others also don't like BR modes.

People can discuss whatever they want in this thread. I speak for myself when I say that advice on how to enjoy this game won't persuade me to reconcile my differences or suddenly find enjoyment. I'm not the only one who can talk in this thread. Get over the fact that sometimes people aren't looking for your advice on what to do differently. It's sometimes very easy to conclude when something isn't going to click with you, regardless of another person's recommendations. The fact that there is an expectation for a specific type of discussion is annoying.

Actually I worded that poorly. I appreciated the advice and understand why the recommendations you and others like you made work, but they don't work for me, and once I make that clear, I don't like to keep being told to change it up, when I know myself best and have already established that it just won't work in this instance. The game mode as a whole is just not my cup of tea, but I wanted to discuss it anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
yeah. i'm only interested in tetris 99, no interest whatsoever in other kind of battle royale

oh, and i like the manga

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I like Apex's style and gameplay, but I just can't deal with squad play and I'm waiting on solo. I'm not good, and want to at least practice on my own before messing up people's games.

I really liked Guild Wars 2's hunger games event, Southsun Survival or something. I was good at that, it had no teams so I had time to practice and play how I want.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Apex's style and gameplay, but I just can't deal with squad play and I'm waiting on solo. I'm not good, and want to at least practice on my own before messing up people's games.
Just play. People here make randoms out to be much harsher than they actually are.

I am trash as well but am still having a blast with randoms and the ping system makes communication easy without a mic.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
People can discuss whatever they want in this thread. I speak for myself when I say that advice on how to enjoy this game won't persuade me to reconcile my differences or suddenly find enjoyment. I'm not the only one who can talk in this thread. Get over the fact that sometimes people aren't looking for your advice on what to do differently. It's sometimes very easy to conclude when something isn't going to click with you, regardless of another person's recommendations. The fact that there is an expectation for a specific type of discussion is annoying.
Well that's a good way to shut down actual discussion. If you're not looking for any advice, what did you want from this thread? Just sharing your opinion like a Twitter post?

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Found BR tasteless but mostly everyone seem to enjoy the gender and I try playing apex buf no fun so far

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Apex is the first BR game that I've enjoyed, but even then it doesn't have its hooks in me. My friends wanna play it all the time, but I still just want to keep playing R6 Siege. I don't think I'll ever be crazy about BRs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's a good way to shut down actual discussion. If you're not looking for any advice, what did you want from this thread? Just sharing your opinion like a Twitter post?
Discussion to you seems to only involve trying to convince me to enjoy this game by heeding your advice. I've established that I don't like it. I wanted to see what others thought, but specifically those who feel the same way. Why this is a problem to you, I have no idea.